Author Topic: free avast firewall  (Read 5137 times)

naren17

free avast firewall
« on: April 17, 2010, 03:36:25 PM »
avast top notch antivirus. free version (without script blocker and fast update).
why not a free version of avast firewall (without spam blocker and sandbox)
wot say frds???

regards
naren

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: free avast firewall
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 04:00:50 PM »
My guess - Because it would be in direct competition with the paid for avast suite.

If you can get most of the suite for free there isn't much incentive to purchase the suite.

The avast firewall I believe is also closely integrated to the other components of the suite.

There are plenty of free firewalls out there that work as stand alone firewalls.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 05:18:35 PM »
avast top notch antivirus. free version (without script blocker and fast update).
why not a free version of avast firewall (without spam blocker and sandbox)
wot say frds???

regards
naren

If you add ZoneAlarm Free to avast! 5 Free & one of the free antispam programs such as MailWasher Free you will have the free equivalent of Avast Internet Security. :) 8) ;)

naren17

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 12:37:14 PM »
with zonealarm free firewall and avast 5 free do i need anything else??

regards
naren

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 11:55:07 PM »
with zonealarm free firewall and avast 5 free do i need anything else??

regards
naren

I forgot to add Sandboxie as AIS includes a sandbox. ;D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 12:51:48 AM by rdmaloyjr »

emarell

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 02:55:50 AM »
I must note that I had a lot of trouble mixing ZoneAlarm with Avast 5 on Vista Home Premium 32-bit. ZoneAlarm, it seems, is incapable of holding onto an updated version number for a main .exe that is part of Avast. That is, ZoneAlarm keeps reverting to a version number for that file that points it at something that's been replaced. At least that's what I understand about the conflict, notes on which are fairly easy to google.

After weeks of slowdowns and inexplicable sluggish symptoms I yanked ZoneAlarm in favor of Agnitum Outpost Firewall 2009 version 6.5.1 - it's been 100% wonderful (and free).

Avast 5 continues, by the way, to astound me by being the very best antivirus I have ever seen.