Author Topic: Update to AVAST! 5 Cripples My Outlook Express  (Read 7101 times)

gdnghtjohnboy

Update to AVAST! 5 Cripples My Outlook Express
« on: June 11, 2010, 11:04:52 AM »
Hello...

I have used AVAST for a couple of years, problem free, with my Outlook Express and Qwest as my ISP.  Tonight I updated to AVAST! 5, free version.  Immediately I was told that:

"avast! has detected a secure connection from your mail program (process msimn.exe) to the POP server 65.55.32.247 (live.com)

This type of connection cannot be checked for viruses.  Please disable SSL/TLS in your mail client so that the Mail Scanner can scan your mail.  The Mail Scanner will provide the SSL/TSL security itself."

Here is a direct quote from Qwest's setup manual for Outlook Express:

"Incoming/Outgoing server info: If you are already familiar with how to configure Outlook Express 6, use
the following information. If you need more help, continue reading.
 Incoming Server:
o pop3.live.com
o port 995, SSL enabled
 Outgoing Server:
o smtp.live.com
o port 25, SSL enabled, requires authentication"   

Like I said, everything worked just fine with older Avast! versions.  Is there a fix for this?  I have enjoyed Avast! to this point and would hate to lose them.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Update to AVAST! 5 Cripples My Outlook Express
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 12:30:35 PM »
Well, I'm not using OE, but usually it's true that you have to disable SSL/TLS in the mailclient(s)..!
So maybe just try it. ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

k.u.r.t

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 01:07:23 PM »
you need to apply this settings inside avast. inside OE it needs to be setup to not use SSL at all (ports 25 / 110). Avast will then scan emails from OE and provide the SSL security for the connection to your ISP's mail server.

gdnghtjohnboy

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 06:59:18 PM »
Here's the kicker...

After working on this, into the wee morning hours last night, with no success... I wake up this morning, turn on my PC... and I am sending and receiving emails.   :o   

SSL is still enabled on my OE. 

Last night no emails were moving unless I turned Avast!'s Mail Shield off.

This morning OE seems to be working fine, but Avast! is not scanning my email nor is it sending me its message (please see attached).

I am just baffled that everything worked fine for years until the update to 5.0.   

Can't I have my cake and eat it too... Avast! coverage and SSL enabled?

Gargamel360

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 07:05:26 PM »
you need to apply this settings inside avast. inside OE it needs to be setup to not use SSL at all (ports 25 / 110). Avast will then scan emails from OE and provide the SSL security for the connection to your ISP's mail server.
As per this statement, Avast! picks up the SSL.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 07:13:58 PM »
Can't I have my cake and eat it too... Avast! coverage and SSL enabled?

Sure you can...! I think you don't get it. ;)
avast handles the SSL connection, not the mailclient..!!!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

gdnghtjohnboy

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 09:06:28 PM »
As far as getting it... you are probably right. That's why I come here.

Anyway, the techs at Qwest told me that I could not disable SSL and retain function... So what did I do? I disabled SSL on two of my accounts and sent an email from one to the other.  The emails were sent, received and were scanned by Avast!... But since I am unsure of what SSL is doing from my service provider, OE and Avast! I did not know what sort of glitches I might expect when I went against the wishes of the Qwest techs.  This is why I am here. 

For now I am throwing caution to the wind and hoping all works out for the best... SSL is off on OE... Fingers crossed. 

Thanks for the listen and advice.  Let's hope there won't be any follow ups.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 09:59:07 PM »
The problem is that the Tech at Qwest don't know how avast and its mail shield works.

If you enable SSL/TLS in your email program then when you click send that email is encrypted and avast can't scan encrypted email.

That is what avast is saying, however, it handles the SSL side of things for you once it has scanned the email it will send the email using SSL.

So having disabled SSL in the OE account settings avast should be able to handle it. Left click on the avast icon, Real-Time Shields, Mail Shield, Expert Settings, SSL Accounts and you should see that your accounts will be handled using SSL under the Encryption column.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 09:19:20 AM »
Thanks for the listen and advice.  Let's hope there won't be any follow ups.

You're welcome..!
And don't worry, all works well with these settings..!! (encryption and scanning)
asyn