Author Topic: I cant trust this anymore  (Read 5702 times)

kokonis

I cant trust this anymore
« on: June 12, 2010, 01:40:52 AM »
Hello people ...I have a serious problem with avast antivirus.Please i call all the team of avast to see my problem and to examine .
I have 2 different results in the same machine ....Let start all of this .
1.I make a full scan and avast saw me that results
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60675.msg511932#msg511932
The results come from the drive E.
2.I make a scan to E drive only  and antivirus find more things .Also found some critical virus like this photo.Also found a lot of files with error archive is password protected, a lot of decompression bombs .Thats a mess.

First full scan drive E = 3 errors
Second scan  drive E = more tha 20 errors  and 2virus  see the file

So how can i trust this antivirus tell me please .

update:I just scan with malware bytes and the results are
objects scan 28241
objects infected :0
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 01:46:50 AM by kokonis »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: I cant trust this anymore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 01:48:09 AM »
Hi kokonis,

We came to tell you the last time you served up a similar problem for files that certain files are better excluded, and then indeed exclude these from scanning, every av has these issues. Just know the file types to exclude..or do an external scan with another non-resident scanner to know, and see that there also certain files come excluded...

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

kokonis

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 02:02:52 AM »
I think that the antivirus with a 2 different result is not so trustfull.
I dodnt have any problem with the past versions of avast ...
I have one zip file with some photos of me and antivirus told me that can not scan this because the zip contain a password ....i dodnt believe that .....
This is so weird ....This i zip i made it by own .I put some of my photos , a password to protect and avast cant scan it .........
I do a SCAN with the superantispyware portable ...(i thik this is the safest solution to see whats wrong with this drive .......so i will post all the results here ....

update:The result from superantispyware was :
I have 2 account ..... a standar  user2   and admin   user 1
I scanned with standar user and the results found 4 adware tracking cookie in the admin account ...The weird thing is that i scanned the standard user and the result find some cookie in the admin account !!!!!!!!!Also i scanned only the DRIVE E and find the cookie in the following direction
c:\users\user1\AppData\roaming\microsoft\Windows\cookies\user1@ad.yieldmanager[2]txt
c:\users\user1\AppData\roaming\microsoft\Windows\cookies\user1@interclick[1].txt
c:\users\user1\AppData\roaming\microsoft\Windows\cookies\user1@fastclick[1].txt
c:\users\user1\AppData\roaming\microsoft\Windows\cookies\user1@atdmt[1].txt

So i start to search this directory ...I view the hidden folders and files but the folder cookies doesnt exist.....What is that ??????
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 02:13:41 AM by kokonis »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 02:12:14 AM »
This i zip i made it by own .I put some of my photos , a password to protect and avast cant scan it
of course avast cant scan it. avast does not know the password.....
what would a password protection be worth if a program could open it....

kokonis

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 02:14:21 AM »
update:The result from superantispyware was :
I have 2 account ..... a standar  user2   and admin   user 1
I scanned with standar user and the results found 4 adware tracking cookie in the admin account ...The weird thing is that i scanned the standard user and the result find some cookie in the admin account !!!!!!!!!Also i scanned only the DRIVE E and find the cookie in the following direction
c:\users\user1\AppData\roaming\microsoft\Windows\cookies\user1@ad.yieldmanager[2]txt
c:\users\user1\AppData\roaming\microsoft\Windows\cookies\user1@interclick[1].txt
c:\users\user1\AppData\roaming\microsoft\Windows\cookies\user1@fastclick[1].txt
c:\users\user1\AppData\roaming\microsoft\Windows\cookies\user1@atdmt[1].txt

So i start to search this directory ...I view the hidden folders and files but the folder cookies doesnt exist.....What is that

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 02:21:33 AM »
How do you expect avast to know the password, much less how is it going to enter the password (it can't do that, it hasn't got that functionality). So it doesn't matter if it was you that set the password or the King of Sheba avast nor any other AV can scan them. Unless you expect your AV to break the password to be able to scan the archive, in which case expect your scans to take forever.

Perhaps it would be best that avast followed the example of most other AVs and didn't tell you what files can't be scanned and give you the reason, but avast is being open about telling you and for some people they can't understand why avast can't scan them.

You really should have kept this in the other topic you referenced as there are a lot of questions that you asked and people answered about why certain files can't be scanned.

We can't even begin to answer, but as polonus mentions there are files that are best excluded like your .vdi (virtual drive) files as these will have some pretty weird character strings involved which can match signatures. I don't even know if MBAM scans those files as they are pretty large, SAS certainly doesn't by default it doesn't scan files over 4MB...

So it really is not easy to compare results as they are scanning different things, compare the results from SAS against MBAM and you will see differences their.

We have tried in the other topic to answer your questions, but you don't seem to like the answers or have ignored them.

Tracking cookies are a waste of scanning time:
Don't worry about reported tracking cookies they are a minor issue and not one of security, allow SAS to deal with them though. - See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie.
Also available a portable version of SAS, http://www.superantispyware.com/portablescanner.html, no installation required.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kokonis

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 02:30:47 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply ....but this is so painfull ...I can trust my own pc  with that ....
I agree that avast try to tell me that the zip is password protected and cant scan them ...but in case i will download a file with password i cant be sure if that file is not infected.
Also this is no good work that the antivirus told me that my virtual machines vdi files are virus ...ITS better to told me that cant scan those files than to told me that was viruses ....

Also about the cookies in the admin account i cant understand how i collect those cookies ...I dont surf the internet with admin user .....I made it once since then i dodnt used it .
I used the portable version of superantispyware .

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 02:33:35 AM »
I agree that avast try to tell me that the zip is password protected and cant scan them ...but in case i will download a file with password i cant be sure if that file is not infected.
avast will scan it when you open it, and if something is in it, avast will grap it before you can blink

kokonis

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 02:41:10 AM »
I try to scan another zip , rar file with password ...The same thing ....Maybe this is the avast way .....I dodnt have any problem with that ..
The only problem is that with the other files (vdi files)  saw to me like a viruses ....
Also how can i know that a decompression file isnt an infected file ?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 03:54:40 AM »
1. What do you expect, avast and other AVs can't scan password protected archives, it really is that simple. It is that instead of hiding all the files that other AVs can scan avast tells you. So we are back on to the thing I mentioned in my other post, we are giving answers and you either don't like the answer or choose to ignore it.

2. It doesn't matter if this .vdi file is considered infected it stems form the type of file that it is and it may well have some strange character strings that match a signature. If you run avast inside your virtual drive then it would also be reporting an infection, which I presume it isn't, in which case the scan from the outside of the .vdi is returning a strange result and why we suggested excluding them. Yet another answer given and ignored.

3. Decompression Bomb, a file that is highly compressed, which could be very large when decompressed. This used to be a tactic long ago to swamp the system, also see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=15389.msg131213#msg131213.

The name really is the most dangerous thing about this and I wish they would change it or simply not report it, a real PITA.

So how do you know it isn't infected, easy if you ever got round to running it, like the examples of archives (extracting them or running executable files extracted) then the File System Shield would scan it.

I'm afraid to say I feel that much of this is down to your understanding of how avast works.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kokonis

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 09:40:47 AM »
Thanks so much for the support ....but the point and the meaning of all of my thoughts are .
A antivirus must give right results ......
Iam an average user...
Imagine a newbie user when avast told him that the vdi (virtual machine file ) has a virus .He will delete it .
I know my virtual machines ,i scanned them .Ill do a second scanned to the virtuals machine too.
The meaning is , when a antivirus told the user that the file is a critical , in most cases the user will be delete it.You must be an average or expert user to know all the files of your system .
So i want to tell you that i want from an antivirus no false results