Author Topic: Free Avast Program Conflict With Microsoft Security Essentials?  (Read 10384 times)

M1988

I've been instructed that the free avast program (3-3.5 years old) conflicts with the Microsoft Security Essentials program, and that I should remove it.

Does avast offer a free all-in-one security suite siimilar to MSE, and why do these two programs conflict?

I'm using a three-year old HP laptop with Vista & IE 8; I'm contemplating upgrading to Windows 7 pretty soon.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 04:23:32 AM by M1988 »

Light Archangel

Re: Free Avast Program Conflict With Microsoft Security Essentials?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 04:40:09 AM »
Does avast offer a free all-in-one security suite siimilar to MSE,
Avast is better than MSE.
Avast have a Web Shield MSE don't
Avast Blocks Malicious Downloads MSE don't
I think avast is much MUCH better than MSE  ;D

and why do these two programs conflict?

Two Antivirus programs running in the same PC at the same time Will cause conflict.
For example:
-One will detect the another like a virus and viceversa
-Slowdowns
-Possibly Blue Screens of death...

So i don't recommend you Have both installed (Avast and MSE)

you have any doubts?

Gargamel360

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 04:49:09 AM »
Avast! free offers
Web Shield
Network Shield
File System Shield
Behavior Shield
P2P Shield.......
Almost forgot the mail shield......and the boot scan

Multiple layers of protection that MSE cant touch. Chief among which are the boot scan(32bit only till 5.1) and web shield.  Its low resource, also.

M1988

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 05:23:59 AM »
Thanks for the education, and here's another question.

Once I disable or remove MSE, how do I re-activate the avast program? It's at least 3 years old.

Thanks!

Gargamel360

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 05:30:24 AM »
Yes, remove, please. One or the other, I wont tell you which one but I will tell you its definitely in your best interest to not have 2 AV's on one system, active or not.

As far as Avast!, I would just uninstall it and get the newest build if its that old.

Dch48

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 05:32:54 AM »
MSE is not an "all-in-one security suite". It's an Antivirus product and as such, it does a pretty good job. Avast! Free is also an Antivirus product that does an excellent job and is more configurable than MSE with more features. As far as protecting you from infection in real time surfing and normal computer use goes, both products do very well. It's up to you which one you like better. I would say that MSE is easier to use and therefore better suited for those with limited computer expertise. Avast! is a little more complex but still very easy to use for the great majority of people.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 05:34:54 AM by Dch48 »

M1988

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 05:50:51 AM »
Great answer--thank you!

randunyogo

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 06:30:42 AM »
Uninstall MSE in Control Panel-->Add/Remove Programs and then run this tool if you have Vista 32bit or this if you have 64bit. It will remove leftovers that the uninstall might miss. 

ziucqea

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 07:36:56 AM »
I've been instructed that the free avast program (3-3.5 years old) conflicts with the Microsoft Security Essentials program, and that I should remove it.

Does avast offer a free all-in-one security suite siimilar to MSE, and why do these two programs conflict?

I'm using a three-year old HP laptop with Vista & IE 8; I'm contemplating upgrading to Windows 7 pretty soon.

Thanks!
Avast! is more all-rounded compared with MSE(although some shields are not necessarily useful)
However Mse also got some advantages. For example, it can fix files that are already infected, while more often than not, Avast! fails to fix infected files and you'll have to delete them.
If the file isn't so important, it's OK that avast! delete it straight away, but if it's precise....
MSE, Norton and Dr Web are probably the best in the realm of file fixing

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 03:35:04 PM »
For example, it can fix files that are already infected, while more often than not, Avast! fails to fix infected files and you'll have to delete them.
Hmmm... MSE cleaning capabilities aren't that far of just deleting the files...
The best things in life are free.