Author Topic: Avast 5.0.545 Fix won't Fix  (Read 7340 times)

Guda

Avast 5.0.545 Fix won't Fix
« on: June 12, 2010, 09:38:56 PM »
Into my third hour of trying to fix this PAID full version of AVAST internet security. The Avast fix button does nothing. Update buttons can not find a path. I read something about downloading an uninstall and then doing a reinstall in safe mode... no idea how. Looks like there is no phone number for United States. WTF did I pay for.
 Windows 7 64bit pro.
Where is the support Avast brags about.

Guda

Re: Avast 5.0.545 Fix won't Fix
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 10:25:34 PM »
After continued research, another hour without anti virus software, even though I paid for yours, has led me to this...http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=57808.msg511350#msg511350
Which included an AVAST apology.
So what... I have wasted hours and possibly messed up my computer trying to fix this myself.   Why did I not get a notice in my email?
 Your apology sucks!  I am paying AVAST by time and presently the time I am pay you for is wasting my time for Avast NOT doing their job.
I must get more than this flippant page five apology or I will personally make an effort to publicize your negligence.
Sure every virus software has its set backs, but not warning us paid users is to your detriment.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 12:43:01 AM »
Hi Guda,
maybe we can help you..!?? ;)
Which other security related software is runnning on your system..?
Which AV did you use prior to avast?
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Guda

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 01:28:24 AM »
The only other running software for anti virus, fire wall, or registry maintenance, is what came on the Windows 7 pro 64bit. I have Malwarebytes and Tuneup Utilities 2010 but neither of them run unless I manually start them.

Avast ran fine since purchased April 3, 2010 until today.

Guda

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 01:33:23 AM »
This is a new computer I built and the only av ever installed is Avast and what came with Windows 7

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 01:36:52 AM »
The only other running software for anti virus, fire wall, or registry maintenance, is what came on the Windows 7 pro 64bit. I have Malwarebytes and Tuneup Utilities 2010 but neither of them run unless I manually start them.
Avast ran fine since purchased April 3, 2010 until today.

Try to repair avast..!
You can do this from Control-panel -> Add/Remove -> avast.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Guda

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 02:40:26 AM »
ERROR PROCESSING PACKAGING use full update... this was my message when I tried to repair....

Dch48

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 04:23:02 AM »
Get the removal tool from the Avast! website, uninstall Avast!, then run the removal tool just to make sure everything is gone, reboot and reinstall Avast!.

GloobyGoob

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 05:02:23 AM »
Hi,

You need to remove any other real-time antivirus software that came with windows 7. That's because when running 2 or more antivirus software at the same time they will conflict with each other.

So go to Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs, and uninstall every other AV. Then go here and find the product you uninstalled, download the removal tool, and run it to remove leftovers. Reboot.

Then you can repair avast in Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs. If that doesn't work or the problem still persists, you have to do a clean reinstall.
  • Download the version you bought here
  • Download the uninstall utility on your desktop here
  • Go in the Control Panel and uninstall avast
  • Start Windows in Safe Mode (to do this, reboot and press the f8 key repeatedly before windows starts)
  • Execute the uninstall utility
  • If you installed avast! in a different folder than the default, browse for it. (Note: Be careful! The content of any folder you choose will be deleted)
  • Click REMOVE
  • Restart your computer
  • Open the Setup you downloaded in step 1 and install avast again
  • Make sure to REBOOT after installing it

I hope this helps! :)

Guda

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 06:33:51 AM »
I tried to restore to an earlier day when Avast was working but Avast would not let my computer to any restore and would halt  the start up by 4 minutes until I got it off.
OK, so now I have done all the above directions but the license I bought will not open from my email and AVAST says that the trail is expired so it does not work.
How many hours have I wasted now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Frick... at least my computer is working better, now that Avast has been uninstalled.
PLEASE mail me a installation disk at no charge today. Especially being that we don't know if this is going to work or for how long.
OBVIOUSLY unhappy with the process.

Gargamel360

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 06:45:47 AM »

I've read quite a bit of these forums and never seen something like what you are suggesting handled from the forum, more likely try here>>http://www.avast.com/contacts, for other support options.

GloobyGoob

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 07:29:57 AM »
You can try to resend another license to your customer email for free.

Guda

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 07:39:07 AM »
All is fixed for the moment... thanks for your efforts... I tried to get a ticket right out but it would not let me log in to get a ticket saying that I did not have a registered email and believe me I tried many different ways.
This experience with tech support was not a pleasure by any means but was a help.
Thank you again.