Author Topic: Win32:Malware-gen  (Read 3892 times)

daddybear

Win32:Malware-gen
« on: June 13, 2010, 02:56:31 PM »
Good Afternoon

Yesterday evening I had the following message on my laptop:-

avast! Warning
A Virus Was Found

File name:       C:\PROGRAM FILES\APOINT 2K\APOINT.EXE
Malware name: Win32:Malware-gen
Malware type:   Virus/Worm
VPS version:     100612-1, 12/06/2010

I followed the recommended action and moved to chest and the laptop is working perfectly but I get the following message soon after boot-up:-

" Windows cannot find 'C:\PROGRAM FILES\APOINT2K\APOINT.EXE'. Make sure you typed the name correctly,and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button,and then click Search."

I cannot understand why this comes up on its own as I haven't searched for it or used the file in any way.

Please can you tell me what to do next with what is in my virus chest and do I need to do anything about the above message?  Simple terms only please as I am only a beginner with computer 'nuts and bolts'.

Best regards

Roy

Windows XP home SP3: Avast Free 4.8: IE8: Zone Alarm Free:SAS Pro: SpywareBlaster Pro:Compaq V4000.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Win32:Malware-gen
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 03:29:49 PM »
If you update your virus def to latest 100613-1, then go to chest, find the file, right click and scan. does it still show infected ?

Quote:
Apoint.exe
Touchpad software for laptop PC's. For instance it is found on the Panasonic machines and allows part of the touchpad to be used for document or Web-page scrolling. Required for proper functioning of the pointing software but not required for the laptop to work
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/Apoint.exe-315.html

http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/apoint/

I think this is an FP....

Windows XP home SP3: Avast Free 4.8: IE8: Zone Alarm Free:SAS Pro: SpywareBlaster Pro:Compaq V4000.
why are you still using avast 4.8 ?

Avast! Free Antivirus 5.0.545 http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 03:37:57 PM by Pondus »

daddybear

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 08:31:29 PM »
Good Evening Pondus

Thanks for reply.

Virus definition is now 100613-2 and scanning in chest produces:-

Scanning of selected files
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Program will try to scan 1 selected file(s) in the Chest

Move files to temporary folder: C:\DOCUME~1\ROYDEW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_avast4_\unp15905935.tmp
FileID: 0000000004  Original file name: C:\PROGRAM FILES\APOINT2K\APOINT.EXE  New folder: C:\DOCUME~1\ROYDEW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_avast4_\unp15905935.tmp\4.EXE

Scan files in the temporary folder: C:\DOCUME~1\ROYDEW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_avast4_\unp15905935.tmp
C:\DOCUME~1\ROYDEW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_avast4_\unp15905935.tmp\4.EXE  -- no virus --
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action was completed successfully!

I suppose this means that the file is now clean and that the original was a false positive?

What do I do now?

I am still using version 4.8 because some months ago when I installed version 5 it kept freezing my computer at boot-up and after 4 whole days of repeated efforts with it I gave up the ghost and returned to 4.8 - worked a treat ever since, so am very wary of trying 5 again.

Best regards

Roy

daddybear

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 02:48:10 PM »
Good Evening Pondus

Thanks for reply.

Virus definition is now 100613-2 and scanning in chest produces:-

Scanning of selected files
Program will try to scan 1 selected file(s) in the Chest

Move files to temporary folder: C:\DOCUME~1\ROYDEW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_avast4_\unp15905935.tmp
FileID: 0000000004  Original file name: C:\PROGRAM FILES\APOINT2K\APOINT.EXE  New folder: C:\DOCUME~1\ROYDEW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_avast4_\unp15905935.tmp\4.EXE

Scan files in the temporary folder: C:\DOCUME~1\ROYDEW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_avast4_\unp15905935.tmp
C:\DOCUME~1\ROYDEW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_avast4_\unp15905935.tmp\4.EXE  -- no virus --
Action was completed successfully!

I suppose this means that the file is now clean and that the original was a false positive?

What do I do now?

I am still using version 4.8 because some months ago when I installed version 5 it kept freezing my computer at boot-up and after 4 whole days of repeated efforts with it I gave up the ghost and returned to 4.8 - worked a treat ever since, so am very wary of trying 5 again.

Best regards

Roy

What do I do now?

My Virus Chest entry now shows "no virus" under the virus heading. I am guessing that I can now 'Restore' the entry and would appreciate it if someone more knowledgeable than me can confirm that this is the case. Also is this the only action needed or is something else required?

Sorry to be such a dummy on this,but I have never had to deal with anything like this before - only a well documented FP involved with Spyware Doctor which was slightly the "same but different".

Hope I can get a bit of guidance just to sign me off on it!

Best regards

Roy

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 02:53:03 PM »
Get rid of ZoneAlarm and you will be able to update to avast! V5