Author Topic: Avast IS: After installation explorer.exe always on min 25% CPU usage! Win7 x64  (Read 5656 times)

ciscospirit

Hello,

it seams i have detected a problem.

My System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650, 8GB DDR2 Ram

I was wondering why my CPU Usage was still higher in the last days, after installing Avast Internet Security, as before.
So i uninstall the Avast Suite and did also the "aswclear5.exe" unter secure mode. So Avast sucessfully full removed.

So i restart my Computer again and i saw that the "explorer.exe" Task was now still at very low CPU usage arround 1-2%. Like it should be!

Now i install Avast Internet Security 5.0.545 again and restart my Computer. After restart the explorer.exe task has a CPU usage about 40-60%.
So i kill the Task and restart it manuelly. After restart the explorer.exe task i have now again a task CPU usage of 25%.

After installation:

After killing and restarting "explorer.exe":

So the problem definitly accours after installation of Avast Internet Security.

Does anybody have the same problem..?
Does anybody has a resolution for it..?

Please help me... THANKS
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 08:10:29 PM by ciscospirit »

Gargamel360

No such problem here, and I'm operating with half of your processor and RAM.

Your system seems pretty new, but have you any other security programs running
with Avast! currently,  or any you had previously but uninstalled?

ciscospirit

hey,

no i have no other security suite installed. only Avast!!

only Avast 4 was installed, but this software i uninstalled before i install avast IS.

Gargamel360

Narrow it down to which of your processes is using that much CPU?
The resource monitor may give you more detail than task manager.

ciscospirit

i tried it now 4 times more.

If i uninstall Avast IS and restart my system, the explorer.exe Task is on 0-2% CPU Usage.
if i make a restart again it is the same low CPU usage.
if i reinstall AVAST IS again, and restart after setup, the CPU usage of explorer.exe is again back on very high %.
if i kill the explorer task and restart it, the CPU usage is by 25%

So it is DEFINITLY a problem with Avast and with no other process!!!

If Avast is installed, the explorer.exe Task is on high CPU usage.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
ciscospirit: when you notice high explorer.exe CPU usage, please run Task Manager, right-click on explorer.exe process, choose "Create Dump File", compress that file and upload it on our ftp (http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=18). Thanks a lot!

ciscospirit

it seams i have fix the problem:

i have now uninstall and reinstall it many times, but now i have uninstall it in secure mode and reinstall it under secure mode.. now i restart windows and now it seams it works... CPU usage at 0-2%.

don't know why it works now, but it does

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Do you mean safe mode? It shouldn't be any different where or how you install it. Ok, keep an eye on cpu usage and if something changes, just generate the dump file, thanks.