Author Topic: avast and resources consumption  (Read 9265 times)

antivirer

avast and resources consumption
« on: June 13, 2010, 10:57:02 PM »
hello

is this normal for Avast?

because it looks too much resources consuming application and I needed if there is an antivirus more light

thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast and resources consumption
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 11:40:27 PM »
This is far from heavy and there are few AVs as light on resources as avast, 32MB is far from heavy considering that value is for all the resident shields.

It also depends on what you are doing and where you get the figures from, see image of my current figures (avastUI open and monitoring activity so it will be larger than normal) VM Size is meant to be a better representation of actual use. I have many other applications that use much more than avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

antivirer

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 12:36:07 AM »
thanks for your reply

now I have somehow made avast not to appear in tray, how can I bring it back so I can disable some of its scanners in order to minimize system resources consumption?

thanks

ardvark

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 03:43:13 AM »
This is far from heavy and there are few AVs as light on resources as avast, 32MB is far from heavy considering that value is for all the resident shields.

Hi David....

That depends on the system avast is installed on. To someone who has a system running XP with only a Pentium III processor with 384 MB's of memory, 32MB's is going to pack some weight. ;)

Regards...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 03:46:16 AM »
Seems normal consumption.
The virus definitions are due to most of that RAM usage.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 05:08:58 AM »

Hi David....

That depends on the system avast is installed on. To someone who has a system running XP with only a Pentium III processor with 384 MB's of memory, 32MB's is going to pack some weight. ;)

Yes it is, but that is speculation as the OP hasn't mentioned at all what the system specs are. Plus the image posted doesn't show much else to see if there is any non-essential applications running, assuming the OP is short on resources. Then were possible a relatively cheap RAM update would see greater performance across all applications.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 05:25:55 PM »

Hi David....

Regards...

No one should expect any better performance than the OP is experiencing when you run XP SP3 with only 384 MB of RAM and have other programs in addition to the OS running at the same time.
Regardless of the original MS specs and considering the other programs that most users will be using, XP SP3 should not be run with less than 512 MB of RAM and even then there will be some slow downs from time to time. 1 GB of RAM should be the minimum with XP SP3 and the other "normally" run programs.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 06:27:11 PM »
The problem being ,this is all speculation as the OP hasn't stated any information in this topic about their system specs.

CharleyO

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 06:32:04 PM »

True enough, David.   :)

I was just responding to Ardvark's statement of RAM amount.    :)

ardvark

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 12:43:15 AM »
No one should expect any better performance than the OP is experiencing when you run XP SP3 with only 384 MB of RAM and have other programs in addition to the OS running at the same time. Regardless of the original MS specs and considering the other programs that most users will be using, XP SP3 should not be run with less than 512 MB of RAM and even then there will be some slow downs from time to time. 1 GB of RAM should be the minimum with XP SP3 and the other "normally" run programs.

Hi Charley...

I agree completely but I have seen (and still know of one) systems whose specs are either identical or similar to the ones I mentioned in my previous post. The immediate reaction would be to tell these folks "Well, buy a new system" but for the poor with families to feed, if they even have a computer, it's usually one that is older, received used and unable to handle today's software smoothly. I'm not pointing any fingers at any particular software or company, I just want to see capable, high quality security software that can run smoothly on the older systems as well with no sluggishness or drag. :)

@David: How much of an upgrade would depend on the motherboard. ;)

Regards...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 12:45:28 AM by ardvark »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 01:32:44 AM »
I'm not going to speculate as we have zero information on the OPs system so I will await and information as and when it comes.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 02:17:04 AM »
I just want to see capable, high quality security software that can run smoothly on the older systems as well with no sluggishness or drag
A system with that little Ram will be dragging with any program and certainly have a problem with anything that's resident such as an anti virus program.
It isn't a problem of the operating system or the program running on the system but the amount of ram installed on that computer.
Upgrade the ram to handle what's running on the system and your problems are history. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 08:38:52 AM »
I'm not going to speculate as we have zero information on the OPs system so I will await and information as and when it comes.
+1

antivirer

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 11:44:42 PM »
my system is:
XP SP3, 2 GB RAM, Intel Dual Core T2050 1.6Ghz
there are not many programs running and the programs in the screenshot are those with the higher RAM consumption
thanks

samuelvirucide

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 01:35:41 PM »

;D wow you have ample amount of RAM yet you complain on avast memory usage of 32 mb thats funny  :P

Avast 5 is the lightest anti virus out there  ;D