Author Topic: Avast! Free & MBAM Pro  (Read 11584 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast! Free & MBAM Pro
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 02:57:03 PM »
I assume if you joined this forum, you're using Avast.  If you are, you shouldn't also be using A2. 

Sorry, but wrong again...
The free A² has no resident protection and can be used together with avast, like Mbam, without problems.
You're right about not running two resident AVs the same time, tough..!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Riadon

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 12:00:25 AM »
You guys are really intense huh? I haven't gotten any slowdowns/conflicts, but it doesn't really seem to do anything but take up memory so I uninstalled it. None of this answers my question though, all I've been getting lately is "UNINSTALL SPYBOT NAO!".

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 12:26:16 AM »
I've experienced and read about conflicts with S&D, while the Teatimer is active. Turning the Teatimer off often seems to resolve these.

I've had the occasional issue uninstalling or updating S&D with the immunity active. (Hint: De-immunize before uninstalling it.)

If the programs do not appear to conflict, and having uninstalled Spybot you notice no performance change, IMO there is no reason why you shouldn't leave it installed, or rather, re-install it.

You can have as many demand scanners (including A2 free) installed as you want. But as indicated above, only one of each type of resident. That's a general rule of thumb; a guide that serves most users reasonably well. There are always exceptions, of course.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

brhokla

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 02:30:28 AM »
I use Malware Bytes also and Avast 5.0 Pro.  My system is Win7 64 with 4 gigs Ram running on an AMD 2x Turion and I don't have any problems with my system slowing down. Maybe some of your settings are not correct. 

Riadon

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 03:00:47 AM »
I use Malware Bytes also and Avast 5.0 Pro.  My system is Win7 64 with 4 gigs Ram running on an AMD 2x Turion and I don't have any problems with my system slowing down. Maybe some of your settings are not correct. 
The problem is with Malwarebytes Pro, not the free version. The free version runs just fine.

De Hollander

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 12:32:37 PM »
Weird, I thought it did like most other security applications, I use SAS Pro as my resident anti-spyware and that does. So even if it does detect something in that folder, presumably it would only allow you to ignore that item and not the specific folder ?

What other security applications do you have installed, firewall, etc. ?

It seems strange when you are reporting only minimal CPU that there is a slow down when you start MBAM, surely you have MBAM Pro set to start on boot ?

You could try delaying the avast update check - In avast5 you need to edit (using notepad) avast5.ini the [InetWD] section of the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\avast5.ini

- Broadband connections, add this line:
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120 and
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1 if not present (or edit AssumeAlwaysConnected=0 to AssumeAlwaysConnected=1)
[InetWD]
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120
When complete save the changes, avast's self-defence module will ask for confirmation, etc. answer Yes.

The figure is seconds and the above equates to two minutes, you could try that and adjust upwards if required, 180, 240, etc.

Yeah they only let you ignore the specific item when it is detected, and my MBAM does come up on startup, the slowdown also occurs if I start it later ((Though not as bad because my computer is less busy)). My other real-time protections are Threatfire, Defense+ from Comodo Firewall ((Just saying the slowdowns occurred before I switched from PC-Tools to Comodo firewall)), S&D's Teatimer and its Immunize ((Also use Keyscrambler and WOT as firefox addons)) and PeerBlock for when I use P2P ((Seems like kind of a firewall to me)). Even if I turn off MBAM's protection module completely, I still have to restart the computer for it to go back to normal speed.

Ever thought about excluding MBAM under Treatfire, Defense+  

YoKenny

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 02:28:48 PM »
No problem on my systems.

Have not has Spybot S&D on my system since getting Malwarebytes Pro.