Author Topic: Would avast! Free 5.0.x function properly if denied access to the internet?  (Read 4006 times)

gASNzujyv8xryE6Jgl61

My system:
WinXP Pro SP 2
Comodo Firewall 3.5.x
avast! Free Antivirus 5.0.545

I just installed the latest Free 5.x version today. Some threads in this forum mentioned the inability to access the internet with Web Shield on. So I opted not to install Web Shield, and rely soly on Comodo Firewall for protection on that part. My question is, If I denied avast access to the internet, would this cripple its ability in any way in terms of providing protection to my system? Would the 6 shields (file system shield, mail shield, p2p shield, etc) I installed function properly?

Currently, I set the following to be the trusted applications in Comodo's Computer Security Policy. But in Network Security Policy, I disable their internet access.

ashquick.exe
  avastsvc.exe
  avastui.exe

Is this OK?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
So I opted not to install Web Shield, and rely soly on Comodo Firewall for protection on that part. My question is, If I denied avast access to the internet, would this cripple its ability in any way in terms of providing protection to my system? Would the 6 shields (file system shield, mail shield, p2p shield, etc) I installed function properly?

I would install the Web Shield component, even with a decent firewall running, as it's protects you from connecting to malicious web sites..!! If you really should run into problems you can deactivate it anytime.
I've all shields up and running without any problems..!!
Btw, are you on 32 or 64bit..??
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
But in Network Security Policy, I disable their internet access.

ashquick.exe
  avastsvc.exe
  avastui.exe

Is this OK?

Sorry, missed this question...
No, that's not ok..!! Allow avastsvc.exe (all) and avastui.exe (at least icmp). If you don't use ashquick, you can leave it blocked.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

gASNzujyv8xryE6Jgl61

I would install the Web Shield component, even with a decent firewall running, as it's protects you from connecting to malicious web sites..!! If you really should run into problems you can deactivate it anytime.
I've all shields up and running without any problems..!!
Btw, are you on 32 or 64bit..??
asyn

I am on 32-bit.

So, I can disable their internet access then?

gASNzujyv8xryE6Jgl61

Sorry, missed this question...
No, that's not ok..!! Allow avastsvc.exe (all) and avastui.exe (at least icmp). If you don't use ashquick, you can leave it blocked.
asyn

Thanks.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
I am on 32-bit.

So, I can disable their internet access then?

Why would you like to disable internet access..???
As you're on a 32bit system, for security reasons you should update your XP to SP3, asap..!
asyn

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot