Author Topic: Still cannot visit favorite websites  (Read 5004 times)

Putin

Still cannot visit favorite websites
« on: June 16, 2010, 01:45:37 AM »
Hi guys, I have been searching this forum and doing all the things you guys recommend for problems accessing websites. I added the 127.0.0.1 to my host file next to avast.com and I have tried disabling the webshield... and a pop up window comes up in the lower right hand corner that says avast has blocked a potentially harmful website or something. Here's the thing. They are not harmful, they are just in Russian. I do lot's of communications with Russian and Ukrainian students, and I need to visit the websites they make, and or help them with the coding. How do I stop avast free from blocking or monitoring any of my web surfing? Downloads, fine, if I download something harmful, by all means tell me.  I need to help some of these kids like yesterday.  Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Still cannot visit favorite websites
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 02:44:46 AM »
Well I don't know what you are trying to achieve with the HOSTS file, that if done correctly would block your access to avast.com and possibly this forum.

The web shield isn't your problem, if you check the alert you will see that the Network Shield is alerting on a known malicious site, see image example of the alert, is this the same ?

What are the URLs ?
Change the URL from http to hXXp or www to wXw, to break the link and avoid accidental exposure to suspect sites, thanks.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Putin

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 02:48:30 AM »
I have had both types of errors. I cannot post the sites, as they are privileged information.
How can I make avast stop scanning for malicious sites? I used McAfee with these sites for 4 years, never a single malicious problem, and now all of a sudden, it's blocked.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 02:52:57 AM »
I added the 127.0.0.1 to my host file next to avast.com
Why? Bad movement... you're blocking the access to avast site, nothing more.

and I have tried disabling the webshield... and a pop up window comes up in the lower right hand corner that says avast has blocked a potentially harmful website or something. Here's the thing. They are not harmful, they are just in Russian. I do lot's of communications with Russian and Ukrainian students, and I need to visit the websites they make, and or help them with the coding.
Generally, avast detection is accurate in these cases.
Isn't it an encrypted/obfuscated script or iframe?
Wasn't the site hacked?
Maybe you could contact its webmaster.

The vast majority of malware today is distributed over the web, mostly by means of hacked (otherwise legitimate) sites. The attacker usually injects malicious some scripts into some (or all) pages on the site, waiting for an unsuspecting user to visit the site and possible infect his/her machine.

And this is where avast’s detection capabilities really excel. Its abilities to detect these web-based malicious scripts are second to none, and thanks to the Web Shield and Script Blocking providers, they are used exactly when needed, doing an excellent job stopping the web-based malware right on the entry point.

How do I stop avast free from blocking or monitoring any of my web surfing? Downloads, fine, if I download something harmful, by all means tell me.  I need to help some of these kids like yesterday.  Can anyone give me some suggestions?
I wouldn't do that or you'll get infected.
The best things in life are free.

Putin

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 03:02:49 AM »
I don't remember asking for your opinion if I was going to get infected or not. The websites 17 of them have not been hacked.
Listen if you are just someone who goes around making posts to raise your post count, stop it. I need to know how I can temporarily disable the Avast app that stops me from visiting the sites.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 03:13:13 AM »
I don't remember asking for your opinion if I was going to get infected or not.
You're in the wrong forum if you think this atitude will guide you anywhere.

Listen if you are just someone who goes around making posts to raise your post count, stop it.
Do you really think so? Will I lose my time for this?

I need to know how I can temporarily disable the Avast app that stops me from visiting the sites.
Disable the shield: Web Shield and/or Net Shield.
The best things in life are free.

Dch48

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 03:15:28 AM »
You can disable the webshield and the network shield if you're sure the sites are safe. I would definitely do a scan afterwards though with something like Malwarebytes to make sure you didn't pick something up.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 03:17:39 AM by Dch48 »

GloobyGoob

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 05:37:38 AM »
You can disable the shields by going to the Real-time Shields tab from the user interface, then click Stop for the particular shield you would like to disable. I wouldn't recommend it though. Be sure its safe.