Author Topic: Avast! Free AV 5.0.462 home edition license key for 20 years?  (Read 24502 times)

Offline lecxe33

• Personal Message (Offline)
alright..i'm a newbie here..and sorry if this a repost or in a wrong place.. 8)

So this is the case, i do some browsing in a forum..
and found a Thread about Avast! Free AV 5.0.462 home edition license key that valid for 20 years.. :o
so it's like a license key that we obtain by registering our copy of avast 5.0 home edition to the avast web..
but instead of just 1 year of validation (then we have to renew the license key for the next year..) this license key made it valid until 2038..
oh..and as i read the users post, they even able to online update the virus database.. >:(

they even post this screen shot (re-edited by me..)  >:(

i don't know how this man do this, but i'm pretty sure it's not legal.. :-X

and the worst thing about this, the fact that the Thread owner sell this 20-years-validation-license key for less than $1..
this idiots making money from this..

i don't know why people want to pay for something which they can get for free..
they use a copy of avast free home edition, that's a good thing..then why don't show some gratitude by registers the product, so that avast know how many people use their great anti virus software..  :'(
i mean, is that so difficult to register? and as far as i know, it is a lot easier and quicker to register version 5.0..

as for avast, please response to this case quickly..
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 10:13:14 AM by lecxe33 »

Offline igor

• avast! team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast! Free AV 5.0.462 home edition license key for 20 years?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 10:11:35 AM »
Since you can register for free, I don't see why anybody would buy buy something like that, no matter how long expiration it has.
Anyway, I think it was a problem in the old versions, shouldn't occur in the latest build.

Offline lecxe33

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 10:19:25 AM »
Since you can register for free, I don't see why anybody would buy buy something like that, no matter how long expiration it has.
Anyway, I think it was a problem in the old versions, shouldn't occur in the latest build.

don't really sure about that, the last post in that thread says the license key is still usable, and still able to do the online update..

Offline SARATHAPPU

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 05:27:31 AM »

Offline nmb

• avast! Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 05:31:02 AM »
Sarathappu,

You have just quoted igor on a 6 month old topic but have forgotten to write what you wanted to. Do you need any help with anything?
Dell Inspiron 1564: Intel Core-i3 @ 2.13 GHz / 4GB DDR3 / Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit / Avast Free 6.0.1426 / WinPatrol 2012 Plus / Pale Moon 12/

Offline Eagle45

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 06:02:08 AM »
How on earth! People just take pride not to acknowledge the hand work of others. 20 years of activating and capable of updating the antivirus online is a very serious fraudulent activity and infringes on copyright laws of avast. I pray avast looks into this issue.

Online craigb

• avast! √úberevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
    • Personal Message (Online)
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 09:29:45 AM »
How on earth! People just take pride not to acknowledge the hand work of others. 20 years of activating and capable of updating the antivirus online is a very serious fraudulent activity and infringes on copyright laws of avast. I pray avast looks into this issue.
This topic is 7 months old, please check the dates on post's befor replying to them.
Windows 8.1 Pro X64/ IE 11/ Avast 9.0.2018/ MBAM Premium 2.0.2

Offline CharleyO

• avast! Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Be alert for error code - ID 10T
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 04:08:51 PM »

In addition to the above by craigb & others, it matters not how long the license last as when that version is no longer supported, there will be no updates available. Since version 6 has been released, version 5 is near the end of the support period.

So, let us all stop worrying about it.   :)

Self-built desktop (8 years old) - AMD64 3200+_Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939_4 gb RAM_GeForceFX 5800w/256 ram_XP/SP3_Avast 7_MBAM_ZA Free __and__ Toshiba Satellite Laptop_W7-64bit_ 4 gb Ram_Avast 8_MBAM

Google Chrome

AVAST recommends using the FREE Google Chrome™ browser.

Download Google Chrome Now