Author Topic: Avast Free blocking outgoing mail using Windows Mail and Outlook Express  (Read 5981 times)

Seffrid

I can't currently send outgoing emails with these programs, and my ISP has traced the problem to Avast. As soon as I disable it I can send the emails ok.

Is this a known issue with the latest update? I'm on both the current virus definitions and program.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Free blocking outgoing mail using Windows Mail and Outlook Express
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 01:01:30 PM »
Which is your firewall? And operational system? Any spam killer application running?
The best things in life are free.

Seffrid

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 01:04:29 PM »
Thanks for the quick response.

Nothing changed since I last was able to send mail. One machine has XP firewall, the other has Vista 64 bit firewall. Both have Avast Free plus Spyware Doctor running. No spam killer applications. Disabling the Avast shields allows outgoing mail, enabling them prevents the server connection.

Update: Spyware Doctor is also unable to connect to the server when Avast is up.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 01:17:48 PM by Seffrid »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 01:37:03 PM »
Most probably some conflict between the two residents avast and Spyware Doctor...

Seffrid

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 01:56:02 PM »
Spyware Doctor is now connecting ok, so it was just a server issue at their end when trying to update earlier. Avast is still preventing outgoing emails. If I disable scanning of outgoing emails they get sent ok.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 02:08:44 PM »
Any other antivirus before avast?
Maybe you can find some info in the C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\log\Mail.log file.

Seffrid

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 02:14:48 PM »
I've had the same setup for ages, with one machine only having had the present setup since new a year ago. I'll check the log when I have time (I'm trying to get some urgent work done!) but this has literally happened overnight on both machines as I was sending emails ok yesterday.

Seffrid

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 09:40:53 PM »
With thanks to Tech for his comments, I can now give an update to the effect that my ISP - Virgin Media in the UK - has stepped up to the mark and acknowledged a problem at their end. They're working on it with no fix just yet. Although no-one had reported the same thing when I first had the problem this morning, the help forum has been buzzing with complaints since then!