Author Topic: Avast SandBox  (Read 9291 times)

BrBrasil

Avast SandBox
« on: June 15, 2010, 07:38:09 PM »
Hello guys!

I am a bit confused about the sandbox of Avast. I read some stuff about it, but I couldnt realized how it exactly works... May someone tell me if is it correct:

Lets say you had sandboxed chrome and all downloads from it.
If you install a program or execute a malware (both sandboxed by the sandboxed chrome), when you you restart your computer all the changes from the program installation or maybe all the modifications made by the malware will be gone?

Is it right?

Thanks for your time,

BrBrasil

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast SandBox
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 07:47:09 PM »
Look, the sandboxed is the process (so files used by it), in this case Chrome, not an installation run by other process as far I know.
The best things in life are free.

Gargamel360

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 08:45:17 PM »
BrBrasil, One of the forum users here made a demo video you could look at.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=profile;u=126201

Link to the video is in his signature.

GloobyGoob

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 09:20:32 PM »
Quote from: avast! 5.0 FAQ - General
This is a completely new feature in avast! Pro Antivirus 5.0 and avast! Internet Security 5.0  which allows you to browse the web or run another application in a completely safe environment. This is especially useful when visiting high-risk web sites, whether accidentally or deliberately, as the browser will be completely contained within the avast! Sandbox, preventing any damage to your computer.

The avast! Sandbox can also be used to run any other applications which you think may be suspect - you can run the program inside the sandbox to determine whether or not it is safe while remaining completely protected against any malicious actions that it may try to carry out.

To put it in simple terms, think of it like a box. When you run a program inside it, and execute malware, the threats can't leave the box and infect your computer. It's like they are trapped in it. I hope this helps. ;)