Author Topic: Test Avast Free 5 - Need info  (Read 5544 times)

TXGuy

Test Avast Free 5 - Need info
« on: June 16, 2010, 07:23:24 PM »
I have just installed Avast Free 5 to test in conjunction with various security programs (some firewall suites with AV/AS included and some firewall HIPS applications without AV/AS real-time) and I have a few questions. 

• I need to be able to turn the avastsvc.exe service off at times so that I may start my system without avastsvc.exe loading at startup to avoid AV/AS conflicts.  I am the Administrator using XPPro on this system and in Admin Services/Services (Local), I am denied access to change the "Start up Type" to "Disabled" at my discretion.  I am also denied access when attempting to End Process in Windows Task Manager, cannot disable with msconfig or autoruns (Sysinternals).  I suspect this is due to a registry setting.
    How can this be changed to allow access to Disabling avastsvc.exe at my discretion?
  • Are there known compatibility issues between Avast Free and other security applications?
  • If there are know compatibility issues with other security software, where can I get a list of the applications that are not compatible with Avast Free 5?
  • If I must resort to disabling each item on the Avast interface, is there a possibility that avastsvc.exe will interfere with the operation of or cause conflicts with other AV/AS running at the same time or with updating other security software?
Your best answers will be appreciated in resolving the above questions.
Thanks

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Test Avast Free 5 - Need info
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 07:31:50 PM »
Well you said that you have firewall and HIPS..well did you block stuffs that you didn't understand??

TXGuy

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 07:40:58 PM »
No. I have blocked nothing that I do not fully understand.

Currently, as I said, I am testing with several different products.  The firewall currently in operation is not HIPS, but I intend to test Avast Free with at least one HIPS application that does not include real-time AV/AS (only an on-demand scanner).

I am able to completely disable other firewalls, AV/AS, and combination applications either internally within the application interface with a simple tick mark, or by disabling a service from loading at system startup.  I have verified that those applications do not start any processes or services after restarting the system.  So far, Avast is the only application that will not allow me to do this in a simple manner.  That is the reason for my questions.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 07:51:44 PM »
How can this be changed to allow access to Disabling avastsvc.exe at my discretion?

You need to disable avast! self-defense in Settings / Troubleshooting.

Are there known compatibility issues between Avast Free and other security applications?

Generally, the recommendation is not to install multiple antivirus software with resident protections, because they might conflict in many possible ways.

If there are know compatibility issues with other security software, where can I get a list of the applications that are not compatible with Avast Free 5?

Sorry, there's no such list. Running multiple AVs simultaneously may cause (strange) problems, no matter if one of them is avast! or not.

If I must resort to disabling each item on the Avast interface, is there a possibility that avastsvc.exe will interfere with the operation of or cause conflicts with other AV/AS running at the same time or with updating other security software?

Certainly - but you're thinking a bit too "high level". The conflicts are likely to happen between the drivers, more than processes.

I am able to completely disable other firewalls, AV/AS, and combination applications either internally within the application interface with a simple tick mark, or by disabling a service from loading at system startup.  I have verified that those applications do not start any processes or services after restarting the system.

As I wrote previously, the absense of processes/services doesn't really mean much - what is important is whether the drivers are loaded (and they most likely are).

TXGuy

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
Generally, the recommendation is not to install multiple antivirus software with resident protections, because they might conflict in many possible ways.

That is what I am trying to avoid during the testing.

Will doing this totally disable the "resident" protection?

Would I also need to disable the Avast drivers in Autoruns?

Even if I do both of the above, since I am unable to disable the Avast services, would this mean I could still have a conflict between Avast and another active AV/AS application?

Certainly - but you're thinking a bit too "high level". The conflicts are likely to happen between the drivers, more than processes.
As I wrote previously, the absense of processes/services doesn't really mean much - what is important is whether the drivers are loaded (and they most likely are).

So are you saying that I should disable the drivers in Autoruns for the applications that I want to completely disable, in addition to disabling the services?

If drivers and services are disabled and there are no running processes for those applications that I want disabled, what else should I consider?

And two remaining questions from my original post:
-Why can I not disable the services for Avast when I can do so for other AV/AS applications? 
-Is there a way to make a change so that I am able to disable the Avast services?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 09:53:53 PM »

Will doing this totally disable the "resident" protection?

No, it won't disable any part of the resident protection - only the self-defence, i.e. you'll be able to kill the processes and change/remove the registry keys.

So are you saying that I should disable the drivers in Autoruns for the applications that I want to completely disable, in addition to disabling the services?

Well, I'm not saying you should, as I'm not sure what exactly you are trying to achieve, but the fact is that the drivers of multiple installed AVs may conflict. I'm not saying they necessary will, but it's possible.
And if you're testing the programs somehow, I think it's easier/faster to simply uninstall it and maybe reinstall later than trying to find and disable all its stuff... well, just my opinion.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 11:19:52 PM »

If drivers and services are disabled and there are no running processes for those applications that I want disabled, what else should I consider?
That are drivers entries that are recreated into the Autoruns list of drivers. One keep disabled, the other enabled.
I don't know what makes that happen. But it happens. It's my experience.
Using Autoruns could be, some time after that, get you into conflicts. In severe situations, you could lost boot ability (believe me...).
The best things in life are free.

TXGuy

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 11:25:47 PM »
Well, I'm not saying you should, as I'm not sure what exactly you are trying to achieve...
Igor, I am testing various security software and combinations thereof to replace the security application(s) currently running on our systems.

And if you're testing the programs somehow, I think it's easier/faster to simply uninstall it and maybe reinstall later than trying to find and disable all its stuff... well, just my opinion.
This is a stripped down system, software-wise.

I had no difficulty locating and deactivating the drivers and other files (by vendor) for the installed AV/AS applications using Autoruns, then rebooted, used a utility to compare the loaded drivers after the reboot with those loaded before the deactivation with Autoruns and the deactivated drivers are no longer showing.  The services were also disabled, including avastsvc.exe to my surprise, after the reboot.  Using Autoruns may be the answer to the 2 remaining questions at the end of this post.

I hope to actively run some software or combinations for several days or weeks for compatibility and to compare results so that I might reach a decision as to what the most comfortable set up might be (user ease of use and my personal judgement of effectiveness).

Uninstalling any application, as you know, no matter how well written, and due to Windows' sloppiness, can leave trash in the registry.  I have seen many registries with multiple entries when the same application has been installed, uninstalled, re-installed, uninstalled, etc.  I want to avoid that and have less registry cleaning to do when the testing is done.

I know, clone the drive and restore after the testing.  I have a clone before I began this testing.  I will have various other well organized, well-documented clones during the testing, just in case things go afoul during testing, so that I do not need to reconfigure to a point just before the "event".

And to repeat from my previous message.  If I can get an answer to the following, I believe that will do it for now.  Mostly out of curiousity, because I have never had a program in which I could not disable its installed services using Admin Tools/Services.
And two remaining questions from my original post.:
-Why can I not disable the services for Avast when I can do so for other AV/AS applications?
-Is there a way to make a change so that I am able to disable the Avast services?

I appreciate your time in replying to my queries.

Many Thanks

Tech
Your reply was posted while I was typing the above reply.  So you suggest that I not use Autoruns at all?
I do not understand "That are drivers entries that are recreated into the Autoruns list of drivers. One keep disabled, the other enabled.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 11:33:31 PM by TXGuy »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 11:47:22 PM »

Well, I was trying to get the idea through... that the answer to both questions is the self-defense feature (and disabling thereof).

TXGuy

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 01:31:01 AM »
Thanks for your time and replies, Igor.

I think that I can take it from here.

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 10:23:29 AM »
@ TXGuy,

It sounds like you are trying to test, and most beta testers use either a virtualized environment to test or an imaging software.  Have you considered either of these.  It makes life a lot easier!

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 05:52:13 PM »

Are there known compatibility issues between Avast Free and other security applications?

If there are know compatibility issues with other security software, where can I get a list of the applications that are not compatible with Avast Free 5?

Sorry, there's no such list. Running multiple AVs simultaneously may cause (strange) problems, no matter if one of them is avast! or not.

If I must resort to disabling each item on the Avast interface, is there a possibility that avastsvc.exe will interfere with the operation of or cause conflicts with other AV/AS running at the same time or with updating other security software?

I am able to completely disable other firewalls, AV/AS, and combination applications either internally within the application interface with a simple tick mark, or by disabling a service from loading at system startup.  I have verified that those applications do not start any processes or services after restarting the system.

Oh I completely forgot that part..