Author Topic: Minimize on startup  (Read 5061 times)

smartbox

Minimize on startup
« on: June 15, 2010, 06:15:45 PM »
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this seemingly small problem.

When Avast starts up in Windows, the whole UI is displayed. I'd really like it to start minimized i.e. just the tray icon showing, no user interface.

I can't seem to find this anywhere in the options.

Many thanks in advance.

Jorj.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Minimize on startup
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 06:47:35 PM »
It should start minimised in the tray, so there is something wrong with your installation.

Looks like you have two entries for the avastUI in the msconfig, startup tab ?
If so one has to be deleted, which one will depend on the settings, see image, if you can say what yours are.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

smartbox

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 02:04:37 PM »
Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, there is only one entry in msconfig. I've tested a couple of theories through msconfig:
 - Turning off the startup item and leaving the service to run. This solves the problem of the UI appearing, while leaving the protection in place, but is not ideal as there is no tray icon.

- Turning off the services and starting the UI. I thought maybe the service was starting before the UI, and the UI then thought it was being run a second time, but actually, the UI won't try to start the service automatically so this is no good.

To give you a bit more information, this is the free version running on Windows Vista. It's a customer's device that has come in for a repair and while it's in they asked us to stop the UI popping up.

Thanks in advance,
Jorj.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 04:24:42 PM »
There certainly looks like something wrong with the installation as that isn't the normal state.

It may well be best to have him do a clean reinstall:
- Download the latest version of avast, 5.0.545 http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0).
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security