Author Topic: Deleting PuP's Access Denied? Help. ):  (Read 12231 times)

Ellissa

Deleting PuP's Access Denied? Help. ):
« on: June 18, 2010, 01:03:24 AM »
Okay, so I noticed when I do a full system scan with my free avast home edition there was the option to scan Pups, I was like, "Hmn, well I don't know what that is but I'll do it anyway and see what happens." Well, I scanned it and 12 low severity threats were detected. I tried moving it to the chest, wouldn't let. It said access denied to every option I tried to do, deleting it, moving it, repairing it, etc. Can someone please help me cause I hate knowing that there's something potentionally threating to my comp there. ): Plus, I'm kind of a newb when it comes to these things so try explaining as best as possible. Thanks! (Btw, I have a screenshot of it if you need it, with the names of the threats, etc.)

(Btw, I posted this topic in another section. I'm not sure if this is where it should be or shouldn't, if so I'm sorry.)

Mr.Agent

Re: Deleting PuP's Access Denied? Help. ):
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 01:07:02 AM »
Can you post/attach the log of your scan or the files that is detected.

That will be helpfull.

Thank.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 02:11:12 AM »
Lets start with PUP = Potentially Unwanted Program, so we need to establish what this is and if it is unwanted.

What is the infected file name, where was it found e.g. (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ?

Some tools, etc. can be used for good or evil (and an anti-virus can't determine that), if what is on your system is there by design, either you installed or the computer manufacturer installed it, etc. then it is likely to be there for good. If it were installed without your knowledge then it could be there for evil/malicious purposes.

So you can see why we need more information and why you should not delete it without having fully investigated it.

It should really go in the Viruses and Worms forum, but not it is here leave it, the other topic you started can be removed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Ellissa

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 02:46:39 AM »
Yeah, I figured deleting them wouldn't be a good idea anyway, I just just giving an example of the things it wouldn't let me do- which is anything. :D I usually just move things to the chest if there is anything. But anywho, thanks for replying and attempting to help, I hope we can get this resolved. I really appreciate it. <3 Here's a picture of the names of 'em and where they're located. I think this is the kind of info you want, if you want anymore or in depth info you may have to explain to me where the locate it. Otherwise I hope this helps. ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 03:06:58 AM »
In this case anything to do with MyWebSearch in must instances is considered spyware as any supposed help in searching is collated for marketing purposes.

So I don't know how you got this browser toolbar, but I would look to removing it from your browser toolbar options. It may well have an add remove programs entry given it is in the program files folder, but I don't know that for certain.

You could also try this tool - ToolbarCop http://www.snapfiles.com/get/toolbarcop.html
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Ellissa

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 03:17:10 AM »
Weird. Cause the thing is, is that I use Opera so and I don't have any toolbars that I use, that I know. Cause there's nothing there? Is there any more of a simpler way of removing it? Cause I have no idea even where it would be. :l Sorry if I seem difficult.

Ellissa

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 03:20:48 AM »
Wait, could this be it? Should I just uninstall that program? You think that would kind'a solve the issue? Lol.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 03:23:16 AM by Ellissa »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 03:27:48 AM »
Go ahead, uninstall it...
The best things in life are free.

Ellissa

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 03:35:13 AM »
Thanks, lol. Kind'a a dumb question but I wanted to double check. ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 03:38:29 AM »
Thanks, lol. Kind'a a dumb question but I wanted to double check. ;D
Ok, better safe then sorry ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 03:40:09 AM »
Not dumb at all. It's a far better idea to ask before deleting stuff than regret it afterward.
You'll probably need your browser closed to uninstall it, then reboot, then scan again. There might be traces left over, these can be quarantined.
I see that going by the install date, Opera was installed (or maybe just updated) before this toolbar. So it may have been associated with the browser you mainly used before Opera.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 04:15:41 AM »
Weird. Cause the thing is, is that I use Opera so and I don't have any toolbars that I use, that I know. Cause there's nothing there? Is there any more of a simpler way of removing it? Cause I have no idea even where it would be. :l Sorry if I seem difficult.

Generally these will be targeted at IE, which for most people still have as their default browser, not to mention until very recently was the default browser as it is fully integrated into the OS also.

Yes, as has been mentioned, go ahead an uninstall it.

Ellissa

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 04:33:27 AM »
Thanks for all the help so far, I appreciate it. I uninstalled that, rebooted and scanned again- the previous ones were gone thank goodness but yet again, one more shows up. Of course. I just want everything GONE, lol. I don't wanna have to keep continue dealing with these in the future. ); Is there a way to make sure my antivirus blocks future PuP's? Or is that totally separate? But yeah, I guess once again I ask if you have any suggestions on what to do with this new PuP? I looked around for it like the other but couldn't come up on it.

Kind of bugs me too, cause I don't where this stuff comes from, I hardly do anything on the web- especially not with these fun game type stuff. lol

« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 04:41:24 AM by Ellissa »

GloobyGoob

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 05:08:29 AM »
Hi,

To block PUP's you can set the real-time shields to do that.
  • Click the real-time shields tab
  • Select the shield(s) you want to block PUPs and click Expert Settings
  • On the left hand side, find sensitivity and click on it
  • Under PUP and suspicious files, check the box that says scan for potentially unwanted programs

Hope this helps :)

Ellissa

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 05:23:43 AM »
Oh, sweet! Thank you so much! <3 Would you reccomend me doing that for all shields? (Cause I did anyways, lol.)

I'm still wondering what I should do about that last unwanted PuP, cause I didn't renew my fourty dollar norton because Avast was free, now I'm wondering if I should take that up as well. I'm just paranoid. But I don't wanna waste fourty dollars either, lol. I do love Avast, I just wanna keep my computer risk free. >.>
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 05:54:07 AM by Ellissa »