Author Topic: I have Tenga.a Please help me repair  (Read 3931 times)

reapur

I have Tenga.a Please help me repair
« on: June 19, 2010, 01:56:05 AM »
Hi guys,
I rebuild a laptop I have with windows XP, and during the process of installing the drivers, apparently, I got this tenga.a virus.
What happened is that I started to notice that all my exe files on my NAS drive (Dlink DNS-321 mirror, latest FW ext3 FS) were being blocked by avast for containing a virus.

So I went into lock down mode. I tested each of my computers with avast, mbam, and spybot S&D, with archive file checking. ALL of my computers are clean with the exception of this newly build latop.
I had nothing on it so I formatted it and turned it off.
Now the NAS drive. I can't get avast to clean anything, it just wants to delete the infected files. I haven't found a way to make spybot and mbam to scan a certain drive, they just want to scan the system they're running on.
Is this abonormal? Can this virus' damage be repaired?

Any advice on how I can get these exe files on the NAS box to be cleaned?

Best Regards

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: I have Tenga.a Please help me repair
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 02:46:21 AM »
Spybot isn't a good stuff anymore.
Can't you scan that computer locally? I mean, seems that you can't scan them by the network. Am I wrong?
The best things in life are free.

reapur

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 03:55:25 AM »
So the NAS is connected as a Drive, and I can scan it, it's on drive Z: but avast only offers to delete the files, what I'm wondering is if it's possible for avast to clean the infected files and restore them to normal.
Is it even possible with the type of virus?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 04:33:15 AM »
reapur, repair is only available for a very few files (executable most of them) and for a very few kind of malware.
So, if avast can't repair, it automatically points to send to chest as the option.
The best things in life are free.

reapur

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 05:29:01 PM »
Thanks Tech.
I've been going thru them one at a time and none are able to be cleaned. Oh well. Weird they know what the virus does and what it writes to the exe's yet no one is able to clean them. I guess maybe the checksum is changed regardless.
Time to rebuild.
BTW I still can't find where this virus came from. I have scanned, again, all of my files on my computers. Very annoying.

cheers