Author Topic: I'm worried about when I upgrade to Avast 5  (Read 24535 times)

Offline rob24

I'm worried about when I upgrade to Avast 5
« on: June 18, 2010, 01:06:51 AM »
I have been running Avast 4.8 free for some considerable time. I just got a reminder come up to tell me my version is out of date/will soon be out of date. But reading through some threads here there seems to be a deal of problems with it, what with a removal tool being stickied and all.

I run Win XP SP3 on a 4200 dual core AMD with 1Gb Ram and it is slowed somewhat over two years, though nowhere near enough to warrant reinstallation. Will I likely have problems with system resources and slowness if I upgrade (which I guess I'll be compelled to enventually).

Any comments and warnings grateful thanks.
Intel Core i5 CPU 4 x 3200 Mhz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.6 free, Superantispyware.
Samsung S3 mobile with Avast Mobile Pro and on Lenovo tablet.

Mr.Agent

Re: I'm worried about when I upgrade to Avast 5
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 01:08:24 AM »
Dont worry with 5.0 its way better in all ways than 4.8 its shouldnt slow you down.

Also update your signature could be usefull for the past.

GloobyGoob

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 01:37:29 AM »
Just make sure that you:
  • uninstall any other real-time antivirus programs and run the correct removal tool for those programs
  • make sure that your system is clean/free of viruses
  • reboot after upgrading
and you'll be fine. ;)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 01:41:24 AM by GloobyGoob »

EntitY

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 02:03:17 AM »
I have a similar set-up as yourself, excluding comodo and old-school spybot, and have not found any free-AV, that runs as well as Avast 5 or as effective at malware detection. I would look to spyrot or bot (whatever) for any problems you run into...

norel

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 02:57:23 AM »
I was using 4.8 before upgrading to 5. I haven't had any of the resource problems some people have reported. I have Vista but I installed 5 on my mom's system that's similar to yours and everything works great. I don't remember what my usage was with 4.8, but right now Windows Task Manager is showing AvastSvc.exe running about 9.5 MB and AvastUI.exe about 2 MB. CPU is 00. The program itself uses 142 MB of hard drive space. I don't remember what that number was for 4.8 either, but I think 5 is quite a bit more. I've got the space though so no sweat.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 03:10:26 AM »
avast 5.0 uses more hard disk space as the virus definitions database is unpacked and that increases scanning speed. So in the days of monster hard disks, 142MB is a drop in the ocean. Mine is much larger than that as at times (after virus definitions update there is some folder duplication until avast does some house keeping).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline rob24

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 02:47:52 PM »
Thanks guys.

Strange that I didn't get email notification of these replies (I thought no-one had answered  :P until I looked here). I have notifications switched on and all.  ??? [Edit: OK I found it in the Spam folder  ::)]

Anyway, your replies enourage me so thanks. Umm I do occasionally run online scanners - BitDefender and previously HouseCall. Also do I need to run the Avast 4.8 uninstaller? The reminder to update avast was a great bit box encouraging me to buy the professional addition with a row of ticks (sorry check marks) against that one and only one against the free edtion. The box had a yellow border. I take it that is the genuine prompt? I'll take a screenshot next time it comes up.

My sig is a bit out of date in that I now have Comodo 4.1 and Spybot 6.2.1. I had a fair bit of trouble updating Comodo but it is OK now. I have superantispyware (paid for) but had to stop using it recentlyas it was freezing the system up. I have AntiMalwareBytes free instead. Anyway I'll update when Avast is successfully updated.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 02:52:36 PM by rob24 »
Intel Core i5 CPU 4 x 3200 Mhz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.6 free, Superantispyware.

Offline rob24

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 02:00:31 AM »
Quick question.

For the purpose of upgrading to Avast free 5, do I need to run the Avast 4.8 uninstaller tool first or simply run the installer from the upgrade reminder when it appars next time?

It's just someone mentioned in this thread about uninstalling other real time AV programs first using the available uninstaller tools.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 02:06:37 AM »
I did the two ways. Install over 4.8 and remove it and install 5 all went fine.

Up to you if the 5.0 did bad by install over 4.8 then do a clean install with removing the rest with the tool.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 02:25:35 AM »
It should be possible to update over 4.8.
An extra reboot (in addition to the normal one reboot) afterward might be a good idea, if anything seems not quite right.

What I'd do is download the full installation file and save it. Download the removal tool and save it.

That way, if there are any problems, you can run a full uninstall routine - including using the tool (don't worry, it's pretty intuitive) - and then reinstall from the new install file, while being offline to do so. (Should always be offline when uninstalling/installing AV or firewall software.) Reconnect to the net as soon as the new program version is up and running. If you have to do this, you will need to re-register the new version, too, and that is painless, from within the options in the tray icon.

Chances are, you can run the updater from the existing program, and it won't be a problem.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 03:20:46 AM »
I always suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

Offline rob24

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 03:13:58 PM »
I always suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.

Thanks that's really helpful.

One point to clarify if you don't mind - not clear whether you mean uninstall from Control Panel AND use the uninstall facility or only use the uninstall utility if uninstall doesn't happen or maybe is incomplete using Control Panel.

(BTW I'm being cautious, [hence the questions], as I had a lot of problems getting the new Comodo version to work. After uninstalling both version leaving nothing, Security Centre kept telling me Comodo was on when I tried switching on the Windows Firewall. I had used safe mode to uninstall Comodo too. Then I installed the new version again and it was completely successful, to my relief!)

Thanks

Jean D

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 03:52:10 PM »
Well, I think I too read too much horror stories here and was pretty much as worried as you. I read all the methods and the potential fixes. I wondered how in the 21st century, one cannot come up with a clean installer that does all the work better than a human. After much debate inside my head, and remembering that the first time I boarded a plane was with the clear intention of jumping overboard and not land with it, I told myself the h*** with it, and again, lets jump; and I clicked, almost with my eyes closed, on the "install" button at the bottom of the free version column on that harassing window, after restarting my computer (to get that window to show up again and be pretty sure nothing else than my internet connection was running).

I didn't remove 4.8. I didn't even stop it (hey, after all, I'm still connected to that Petri dish we call internet). I saw the download happening then I clicked the Install button (probably after saying yes to some sort of licence, but I don't even remember as I may have been has nervous as some machine gun meat landing on the beach on D Day!). I saw the installation begin, quickly, the box told it was creating a restore point. The nervosity went down by a notch then. I saw the 4.8 icon getting slashed out. And it installed. I rebooted as asked. The moment of Truth was near and my computer came back to life. The nice new icon was there, but slashed out. OK, I went into the settings and made some changes to the default to get them somewhat higher and to activate the thing. And yes, those predefined scans were inactive too as some others reported. I rebooted again, the icon came back slashed out again but the predefine scans were now fine. I reactivated the program and rebooted one last time, and now, the AV comes back active each time. IT WORKED!!!

I even think the sucker is faster than 4.8 and the update message is somewhat less "aggressive" than the previous one. Checked my CPU usage and it actually went down by much. So, to counterbalance some of the horror stories we find here (I know, it's an help forum and when one doesn't need help...!) I thought it would be nice to tell you mine, though it has not much in terms of cliffhangers and ends so well it is actually quite dull and it won't make it into Hollywood for sure.

Don't know why my profile setttings don't show as much as in the help section, t'may be cause this is my first post here, but can't find how to make a sig for now. So here's the machine in plain text:

Dell Optiplex GX240, 32 bit Pentium IV 2 GHz, 1 Gb RAM, Win XP pro SP3, Windows Defender, MBAM Free (so runs manually) and went from Avast! 4.8 to 5.0.545 without a hitch. I also scanned with the On-line scanner House Call from Trend Micro to make sure the other programs I have didn't miss anything.

Is the venerable age of this machine the reason why it went this well? I don't know, but as I age myself, I find drastic changes are usually much harder to accept so easily... ;)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 04:05:12 PM by Jean D »

kelltic

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 04:03:08 PM »
I was worried too. I read and read and worried some more. A few days ago I got a popup asking if I wanted to install the new version. I bit the bullet and just let Avast do it - right then without uninstalling anything. No problems. Everything is working fine and it doesn't use any more resources than 4.8. 

Only issue for me is UI. Ughh.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 12:33:03 AM »
rob24,
Uninstall from the control panel first.
Reboot. If there were problems with that uninstall, the reboot should be into safe mode. If not, just reboot.
Run the uninstaller, either in safe, or normal.
Reboot.
Install afresh. Reboot when prompted. Any indications that something is not quite right, give it a couple of minutes, reboot again.

Hope that clarifies.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.