Author Topic: I'm worried about when I upgrade to Avast 5  (Read 24640 times)

Offline rob24

Re: I'm worried about when I upgrade to Avast 5
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 01:14:05 AM »
rob24,
Uninstall from the control panel first.
Reboot. If there were problems with that uninstall, the reboot should be into safe mode. If not, just reboot.
Run the uninstaller, either in safe, or normal.
Reboot.
Install afresh. Reboot when prompted. Any indications that something is not quite right, give it a couple of minutes, reboot again.

Hope that clarifies.
Eerm, I must be thick or something (no need to answer that bit  ;D) but:

You said uninstall from Control Panel and reboot. That's fine.
The uninstaller - does it need running anyway whether previous step is successful or not?
I was pointed to an uninstall tool earlier in this thread by Tech that seems to be for version 5. Don't I need one for version 4.8?

Thanks
Intel Core i5 CPU 4 x 3200 Mhz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.6 free, Superantispyware.
Samsung S3 mobile with Avast Mobile Pro and on Lenovo tablet.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 01:25:31 AM »
Nothing wrong with being sure.
The installer can be run whether there were problems with the uninstall or not.
It will do no harm to run it, and it will remove the 4.8 leftovers (if any) as well as those for version 5.

Personally, I like to run it. Start from a clean slate, as it were.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline rob24

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 01:31:19 AM »
OK thank you.

I think I have enough confidence to do the upgrade now. (After solving the prob with the BBC News video content that has stopped working that is. Other applications that use the Flash player are OK. Maybe it's them. I'll see tomorrow).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:34:19 AM by rob24 »
Intel Core i5 CPU 4 x 3200 Mhz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.6 free, Superantispyware.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 02:04:01 AM »
BBC's  player is the subject of all sorts of moaning around the web. I can't help you with that one, sorry. It seems to be a bit..."special".

Offline rob24

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 01:15:12 PM »
BBC's  player is the subject of all sorts of moaning around the web. I can't help you with that one, sorry. It seems to be a bit..."special".
Whatever it was with the BBC content is OK now.

Anyway I can do the avast upgrade now and I'll post the results! Or problems! Thanks.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 02:22:45 PM »
Anyway I can do the avast upgrade now and I'll post the results! Or problems! Thanks.

Spybot could make troubles..! I would drop it before..!!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline rob24

Successfully installed Avast 5!
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 12:07:21 AM »
Well I have Avast 5 installed successfully following the advice about uninstalling 4.8 from Control Panel, running the uninstaller tool them running the installation file, rebooting at every step.

Seems OK just now. AvastUI.exe shows 5,928K and AvastSvc.exe shows 60,096K. Does that look healthy  :-\ I fancied it was slowing the system up more on a first quick scan, but not sure. OK on the whole and pleased at present.

It's really nice to see a proper scan scheduler  8). Great improvement 8). I had previously had a daily scan to run Ashquick.exe using the Windows Task Scheduler (which I've now disabled). I'm wondering if I can now set (well I have to see if it works) a quick scan daily for 6 days of the week and a full scan on the seventh day. Maybe I ought to play safe and stick to a full scan as before, effectively.

Windows Security Centre took a little while to realise Avast 5 was installed!

On 'Actions' - what setting are recommended generally if a thread is detected. It seems the default is to do nothing. I've set 'Move to Chest' then no other action for all threats for now.

I really like the professional look to the interface - better than the dinky little media player look of 4.8

Thanks alot for help folks.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 12:25:20 AM by rob24 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 12:54:41 AM »
rob24, on demand scanning should have a purpose... Although it can be run very often, why do so? If avast resident is protecting you...
For the actions, the default is "Move to Chest" (or disconnect in Web Shield). If you're an advanced user, you could set "Ask" for action in File Shield. Otherwise, set "Move to Chest", the default.
The best things in life are free.

Offline rob24

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 01:19:08 AM »
OK thanks for the advice. I'm well pleased thus far.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2010, 03:13:01 AM »
You're more thank welcome.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2010, 05:23:13 AM »
Glad it's all good. (No reason why it shouldn't be, of course.)
You may need to register the new version at some point. This is painless, via a right click on the tray icon.

Personally, I did a full scan once, and just do quick scans every week or two, in case of a zero day exploit. Nothing found, so far.
The first full scan will take a while; subsequent scans are faster.

Offline rob24

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2010, 03:19:15 PM »
Glad it's all good. (No reason why it shouldn't be, of course.)
You may need to register the new version at some point. This is painless, via a right click on the tray icon.

Personally, I did a full scan once, and just do quick scans every week or two, in case of a zero day exploit. Nothing found, so far.
The first full scan will take a while; subsequent scans are faster.
I did register - painless as you say.

Hmm I may change my scanning schedule now that I can. I was a pain having the computer slowed for 60-70 mins every day using Ashquick.exe, though I chose a time when I tended not to be using it.

One point is that when the computer starts, after entering the password for my account, it hangs or dwells for maybe 15-30 secs then to a desktop with no icons where it hangs again for a similar time before the icons appear and the start continues to completion. The disc is working away during this so I'm assuming Avast is doing something as that is the change. Is that normal? I don't mind much as long as it it is supposed to be doing that  ;)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2010, 05:09:51 PM »
One point is that when the computer starts, after entering the password for my account, it hangs or dwells for maybe 15-30 secs then to a desktop with no icons where it hangs again for a similar time before the icons appear and the start continues to completion. The disc is working away during this so I'm assuming Avast is doing something as that is the change. Is that normal? I don't mind much as long as it it is supposed to be doing that  ;)

Thats Spybot..! Again, I would drop it...
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline rob24

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2010, 05:36:58 PM »

Thats Spybot..! Again, I would drop it...
asyn

OK but what do other's think about Spybot in this context. The change I mention started only when I installed Avast 5 in place of 4.8.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2010, 05:40:23 PM »
The change I mention started only when I installed Avast 5 in place of 4.8.

It interferes only with avast 5.
asyn