Author Topic: I'm worried about when I upgrade to Avast 5  (Read 24539 times)

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: I'm worried about when I upgrade to Avast 5
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2010, 08:36:36 PM »
OK but what do other's think about Spybot in this context.

It was great in it's hay-day, now it's time for MBAM. http://www.malwarebytes.org

Drop spybot.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline rob24

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2010, 09:41:57 PM »
OK but what do other's think about Spybot in this context.

It was great in it's hay-day, now it's time for MBAM. http://www.malwarebytes.org

Drop spybot.
OK thanks.
As you see from my sig I have Malwarebytes (free version) since about mid March 2010. It has never detected anything, whilst Spybot does (though only tracking cookies). I was also using superAntispyware with also used to detect a lot though can't remember what. I stopped using it as it was freezing Windows. I still have it installed but not running. Spybot also froze Windows a few days ago for the first time ever (before updating to Avast 5).
Intel Core i5 CPU 4 x 3200 Mhz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.6 free, Superantispyware.
Samsung S3 mobile with Avast Mobile Pro and on Lenovo tablet.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2010, 09:58:45 PM »
Spybot also froze Windows a few days ago for the first time ever (before updating to Avast 5).

So, for the last time...
1. Drop Spybot & be happy. :)
2. Don't drop it and run into more problems, using it. :(
Anyway, it's up to you.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2010, 10:07:43 PM »
I'm using SpyBot Search & Destroy without the TeaTimer resident module.  I have none of the problems discussed here.  See my signature for the list.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Rick F

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2010, 10:50:45 PM »
I still have SpyBot installed... but without TeaTimer.

But this is interesting... I also see my PC boot like Rob24 reports -- no icons for awhile and seems to Almost hang.  There's HDD activity, but not for about 10 or 15 secs do the desktop icons show up. System tray icons show up slowly too. Maybe twice as long as it used to with avast-4.8.  I just thought it was avast-5 checking for updates. I was wondering what was causing this but have been putting up with it.  SpyBot really doesn't find anything, but I do us 'immunize' which always adds some protection I thought  ::).

So you're saying SpyBot is the culprit?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 10:52:16 PM by Rick F »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2010, 10:58:17 PM »

Yes. Correct...!!!
Better drop it.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline rob24

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2010, 11:02:57 PM »
I still have SpyBot installed... but without TeaTimer.

But this is interesting... I also see my PC boot like Rob24 reports -- no icons for awhile and seems to Almost hang.  There's HDD activity, but not for about 10 or 15 secs do the desktop icons show up. System tray icons show up slowly too. Maybe twice as long as it used to with avast-4.8.  I just thought it was avast-5 checking for updates. I was wondering what was causing this but have been putting up with it.  SpyBot really doesn't find anything, but I do us 'immunize' which always adds some protection I thought  ::).

Thanks.

Interesting. Someone else finding the same specific thing!

I just checked the Spybot forums for mentions of Avast and although I didn't check very thoroughly, I only saw various references to Avast 4.8. Not this specifically. Maybe I'll post on there see what happens.

You mention Spybot doesn't really find anything. Of what is does find, is it just tracking cookies?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 11:04:41 PM by rob24 »
Intel Core i5 CPU 4 x 3200 Mhz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.6 free, Superantispyware.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2010, 11:12:28 PM »
I just checked the Spybot forums for mentions of Avast and although I didn't check very thoroughly, I only saw various references to Avast 4.8. Not this specifically. Maybe I'll post on there see what happens.

Why not check the avast forum..!?? ;)
asyn

Rick F

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2010, 11:13:50 PM »
Rob24 wrote: You mention Spybot doesn't really find anything. Of what is does find, is it just tracking cookies?

SpyBot doesn't even find tracking cookies as I clean those out frequently using CCleaner (along with cache etc.  There's a setting in CCleaner where you can keep certain cookies so you don't have to log into frequently viewed sites.

Post back if you find out anything from the SpyBot forum.  I'd be interested.

Rick F

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2010, 11:21:48 PM »

Why not check the avast forum..!?? ;)
asyn

I did and couldn't find anything relating to SpyBot (and avast5) causing slower boot or slow icons showing up.  BTW, I do not have TeaTimer running.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 11:23:51 PM by Rick F »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2010, 11:33:21 PM »
I did and couldn't find anything relating to SpyBot (and avast5) causing slower boot or slow icons showing up.  BTW, I do not have TeaTimer running.

Well, so maybe I imagined the users with the problems...
Btw, ZA also makes troubles sometimes.
asyn

Rick F

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2010, 11:37:22 PM »

Well, so maybe I imagined the users with the problems...
Btw, ZA also makes troubles sometimes.
asyn

;D Yes I've read where you posted that before.  I've not had ANY problems with the free version of ZA and avast for at least three of four years.

Thanks though.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2010, 11:42:34 PM »
1. Yes I've read where you posted that before.  I've not had ANY problems with the free version of ZA and avast for at least three of four years.
2. Thanks though.

1. Good for you, thats why I stated 'sometimes'...
2. No problem...
asyn

Poobah

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2010, 09:48:46 PM »
Hi All,

I'm new at this so please bear with me!

I upgraded from Avast 4.8 to 5. On the interface that came up it says that I am not fully protected, and to press the "Fix Now" button-- I did and nothing happened. It also shows that the "Real Time" shields are "OFF", but the "Turn On" button does nothing. Also, it shows that the "Mail" shield is "Off", but again, the "Turn On" button doesn't do anything. Am I missing something? FYI, the icon on the task bar also tells me that I am not fully protected.  :(   How do I get this animal to work as well as 4.8 right out of the box?

Offline rob24

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2010, 11:53:46 PM »
Hi All,

I'm new at this so please bear with me!

I upgraded from Avast 4.8 to 5. On the interface that came up it says that I am not fully protected, and to press the "Fix Now" button-- I did and nothing happened. It also shows that the "Real Time" shields are "OFF", but the "Turn On" button does nothing. Also, it shows that the "Mail" shield is "Off", but again, the "Turn On" button doesn't do anything. Am I missing something? FYI, the icon on the task bar also tells me that I am not fully protected.  :(   How do I get this animal to work as well as 4.8 right out of the box?
Might I respectfully say you might have been better to start a new topic for your question. However you could initially search for existing topics to see if your issue has come up before. Mine is working fine, startup glitches notwithstanding. (Yeh I know guys maybe Spybot  :-\ - waiting on a response from Spybot forums right now).