Author Topic: Upgrading to Avast 5 from 4.8 with 2 viruss in the Chest  (Read 2457 times)

Vale2

Upgrading to Avast 5 from 4.8 with 2 viruss in the Chest
« on: June 18, 2010, 11:02:45 PM »
I didn't come across any topics or threads concerning my Subject, not to say that there weren't any! 

On my friends PC, running avast 4.8, there were 2 virus's found today.  Of course, this happens before I was able to upgrade his avast.

Here are the results after a thorough scan:

Virus Description for both is Win32:Malware-gen.
One was a photo that was attached to an email and inadvertently opened by an inexperienced computer/internet user.  The other came from a legitamate banking institution in the form a requested form attachment.

While I was looking into this, I clicked on System and found the following items also stored in the Chest:
kernel32.dll
winsock.dll
wsock.dll

None had a virus description noted.

So, my question is, with these two virus's stored away in the Chest and the 3 that I'm not sure what they are, how safe am I and what will happen to these virus's when I upgrade to avast 5?  What are the proper steps to upgrade in this situation?

Thank you in advance.   
Oh, and there has been a thorough discussion on Internet, email downloads, attachments, etc. I'm living abroad and computers and the Internet are still a new thing and unknown territory to most people.  They consider computers a plug and play devise that takes care of its self.  A learning curve, for sure.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Upgrading to Avast 5 from 4.8 with 2 viruss in the Chest
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 11:49:02 PM »
Which is the avast 5 setup you're using? The 5.0.545?
These files are backups of version 4.8 that are not imported into Chest in the latest 5.0.545 version setup.
They're not infected files but backup ones in the 4.8 version.
The best things in life are free.

Saty

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 12:55:12 AM »
Vale2,

in 4.8, those 3 files are mearly copies of the originals and kept as backups. They are not viruses. Its been known to confuse people as where they are being stored.

there's really no special way to upgrade with virus in 4.8. Simply download/save the newest version of 5.0, uninstall 4.8 using the control panel addremove. then install version 5. During the uninstall process of 4.8 those 2 viruses,and those 3 copies will be gone along with it.

If you have any problems installing version 5 please feel free to ask.

Sat

Vale2

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 03:38:54 PM »
Thank you to both Tech and Saty!  This is super news!!  ;D I'm going to take care of the upgrade this morning!  Thanks again. :)