Author Topic: Shields coming unsecured? Avast 5.0  (Read 2691 times)

DaddyTang

Shields coming unsecured? Avast 5.0
« on: June 18, 2010, 10:55:20 PM »
I'm running Avast Free 5.0, it's updated and everything.  Along with it I use: Spybot S&D, Spywareblaster, and Malwayrebytes.  I haven't used any other AV program on this computer

Periodically, I would notice my Avast! shields would be disabled and I would see "Avast is running an an inconsistent rate, please restart the program" or something like that.  I would click Fix Now and it would be solved for about 20-30 minutes, then it would be disabled. 

I have tried:
-Repairing
-Uninstalling and reinstalling
-Uninstalling and reinstalling using removal tool

I have fully registered the program too... I'm out of options on whats going on.

Gargamel360

Re: Shields coming unsecured? Avast 5.0
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 11:12:28 PM »
Some people have occasionally had problems with Spybot and Avast!, you could try dropping it
then re-install, if your willing to let it go.

DaddyTang

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 11:14:47 PM »
Some people have occasionally had problems with Spybot and Avast!, you could try dropping it
then re-install, if your willing to let it go.

I tried, the problem still persisted.

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 08:03:44 AM »
What previous antivirus (AV) programs did you have on your machine before avast?  What other resident programs do you have on your machine (firewall, cloud AV, etc.?) 

When you are uninstalling the normal way (Control Panel > Add/Remove), disconnect from the Internet, do you then go into Safe Mode for the avast uninstaller tool then REBOOT?  Sometimes 2 reboots does the trick.

Also, when you reinstall, try temporarily disabling your firewall or putting it into learning mode.  Perhaps you are having some kind of conflict until you enter your exclusions in these programs. 

In addition, on installation of avast, make sure you are on the Internet to update your definitions as well as registering your product.

If you still have problems, a few people have had to change the resident (paid) MBAM to on-demand...you can try this to see if this helps since MBAM usually loads on boot before avast.

If you have done the above and still having problems, please give us some additional informational information about your system.  Thanks.