Author Topic: Virus blocking updates to Avast & access to other antivirus sites  (Read 11611 times)

risachantag

Re: Virus blocking updates to Avast & access to other antivirus sites
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 05:24:07 PM »
Okay, I ran the fix but was given a few errors. ("can't replace host file")

"All processes killed
Error: Unable to interpret <[resethosts]> in the current context!
Error: Unable to interpret <[purity]> in the current context!
Error: Unable to interpret <[emptytemp]> in the current context!
Error: Unable to interpret <[EMPTYFLASH]> in the current context!

OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.6.1 log created on 06242010_231340

Files\Folders moved on Reboot...
File move failed. C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\Hosts scheduled to be moved on reboot.

Registry entries deleted on Reboot..."

I also ran Malwarebytes again, and it found one trojan and removed it. Unfortunately, this has not fixed the problem; Avast is still not able to connect to the server to update and I am still getting the same random page redirects and pop ups.

I've attached the OTL file from the most recent scan.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 09:32:28 PM »
I think that it may be the forum software messing with the fix script.  So to get around that downlod the attached fix.txt and drag then drop it into the custom scans and fixes section of OTL and then click run fix.  On completion try to update Avast

• Start OTL
  • Drag and drop fix.txt into the Custom scans and fixes box
  • If you cannot drag and drop for some reason.  Then press the Run Fix button and a dialogue box will pop up asking for the location
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top

risachantag

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 11:44:18 AM »
I tried it again with the txt file, but I still got the same errors.

I forgot to mention though, each time OTL goes to reset my computer, my computer stops on the shutting down screen, so I have to hit the reset button when it gets to that point. Would that cause this issue? The program still pops up on start up, but I thought I'd check just in case.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 09:09:56 PM »
OK time for the big boy

Download ComboFix from one of these locations:

Link 1
Link 2

* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

• Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal.  It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you.  Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.