Author Topic: aswSP.SYS causing BSOD (Page fault)  (Read 7669 times)

alpha9

aswSP.SYS causing BSOD (Page fault)
« on: June 20, 2010, 03:40:46 PM »
hi

aswSP.SYS is causing occasional BSOD on Xp sp2 PC. Avast 5.0.545

BSOD has...
STOP (Page Fault) 0x50(--0,--2)

Just wondered if there is a fix for this?
thanks

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: aswSP.SYS causing BSOD (Page fault)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 03:47:10 PM »
Hi,

Could you please upload the minidump file (can be found in windows folder.) to ftp.avast.com/incoming (open in explorer, drag and drop the compressed file - you can zip the minidump file).
Name it as alpa9.zip or something similar to that.
Post about the same, here, when you have done it.

nmb
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 03:48:50 PM by nmb »

alpha9

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 05:00:47 PM »
hi
I posting I have since had another bsod due to an unrelated matter (which is now fixed). This will presumably have overwritten the minidump - but if/when the aswsp.sys happens again I shall post the minidump.
thank you.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 10:09:23 PM »
This will presumably have overwritten the minidump...

This is not correct - old minidumps are not rewritten, please check \Windows\Minidump folder, thanks.

alpha9

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 12:43:20 AM »
Thank you. You are correct.
I see separate minidumps for each bsod.
I have just uploaded the minidump I think is the correct one for the aswsp.sys problem as requested.
The file is prefixed alpha9

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 10:48:43 AM »
alpha9, thanks for the minidump, we found out why it crashed and it seems that other driver corrupted some Windows internal structures. We don't know who, we don't know when... but you could do some tests to identify that driver.

1) Run "sysdm.cpl", go to Advanced tab, Startup and Recovery -> Settings, set "Kernel memory dump" in "Write debugging information" box.
2) Reboot, run http://public.avast.com/~kurtin/osrbang.exe. Don't be afraid and push the button
3) Compress (zip/rar/7z) memory.dmp (in \Windows) folder and upload it on our ftp (http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=18).

Thanks!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 02:43:07 PM »
...occasional BSOD on Xp sp2 PC. Avast 5.0.545

Hi alpha9,
if you are on a 32bit XP, you should update to SP3 asap..!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

alpha9

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 02:14:38 PM »
hi
have uploaded full memory dump as requested.
thanks

(ps I heard  XP sp3 was not a major difference from sp2)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 02:35:26 PM »

Where did you hear so..???
Don't expect any AV to protect you, if your OS has security holes...!
But it's your system, so do as you like... ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 03:17:38 PM »
have uploaded full memory dump as requested.
alpha9, thanks for that. It looks like your ZoneAlarm driver corrupted Windows internal list, so I'd suggest you to update it (fyi, vsdatant.sys was built in "Nov 14 23:43:05 2007").

Well, SP3 contains about 60 patches which were available via Windows Update. So you can download those 60 patches or you can get it in one package: SP3. It also includes a small number of new functionalities, but they're not so important. XP SP3 does not include IE7, although XP SP3 does include updates to both IE6 and IE7, and it will update whichever version is installed on the computer ;D

alpha9

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 04:34:57 PM »
Wow! That was quick.  Many thanks - I will update ZA as you suggest then.
I looked at sp3 over a year ago and there was some reason I didn't do it (can't recall why now) - will take another look in the light of comments.
I only use FFox and never M$browsers - although they are installed of course  :)
regards.

alpha9

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 01:12:24 AM »
After much testing I cannot find any error with Zone Alarm. If it is screwing up some Windows structures it is not causing the problems I describe - I even deinstalled it. Anyway as a pure guess I stopped ALL avast modules and rebooted! Amazing but true – but all the problems I have been having with this PC for months now, went away. Turn avast back on – back to bsod's and the weird effects I described before where the PC starts but NO application can be started - nine times out of ten this happens. The frequency of this nasty thing has been increasing over the past several weeks.

It is strange that both the minidump and full dump I uploaded showed Zone Alarm as the culprit when it is so clearly avast that is doing it.

Yes ok I have xp sp3 not sp2 but can that account for such a serious wipeout of a PC?

I like avast. The interface and the controls. Last I looked Zonealarm had turned into bloatware (that's why I still run just the ZA firewall) – just has avg gone bloatware  before it. Don't want to leave it avast but given the above am I now back to more web reviews search for reliable antiV? This forum is excellent – don't want to go but I do need a stable antiV.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 01:15:16 AM »
alpha9, you can send me the latest minidumps and I'll see why you still get those bsods... thanks!

alpha9

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 06:32:48 PM »
hi,
I meant of course that I have xp sp2 not sp3  :)

Thanks, will send dumps as you request asap but right now am upgrading to sp3 as seems the best next-step.

It's ironic to think that I have had way more problems with AV s/ware than any virus :-) and have been PC'ing since about 1990.

regards.

alpha9

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 12:37:34 AM »
hi,
unfortunately I had deleted the minidumps prior to installing the xp sp3 upgrade - sorry. They would only be the ones already uploaded anyway.

At a bit of a crossroads here - whether to install avast afresh on this sp3 system and see what happens.

At the 'mo I'm running antiV-less :-)

I'm off to find a link to the latest avast - I hope it work for me anyway.
thanks again.