Author Topic: SKINS?  (Read 7613 times)

kelltic

SKINS?
« on: June 20, 2010, 04:42:29 PM »
I was wondering if there are skins for version 5 or if the older ones can be used. The new UI - orange and green - ughhh!!!!!!  right there on top of my carefully planned and put together blue, black and purple desktop.  I might be able to just forget about it but for the bigger, uglier  (more orange and green) popup.  Then, there is the irritating voice. Can it be turned off?   

Don't think much of the orange blood spatter - or is that road kill - as a logo either. 

Is there a way to go back to 4.8? When you say ver 4.8 will not be supported any longer, does that mean the virus definitions will end?

Yes, these things are all subjective. Loads of people like the new stuff. I'm just not one of them. Avast has stood me in good stead for over a couple of years now - except for the time it started tearing through my system dumping all my programs into the virus bin - and the fact that it continues to eat my favorite game.  :)   

Jean D

Re: SKINS?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 05:04:26 PM »
You can turn off all messages/pop-ups/irritating voice from that ugly UI! ;)

My version is in French so I can't give you the exact terms they use in English but once you clicked on the "silly orange logo" to bring up the ugly UI, click the first tab up there (clueless over how it's really labeled in Shakespearian!), then, something that should sound like "present state", second frame down, activate the silent mode. That should do it.

Play with that UI a bit. I find it gives you way more control than the previous version. Over the look, you said it right, it's all a matter of personal tastes.

Your other questions, I'll leave to others.

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 05:36:26 PM »
@Jean D: why do use Avast 5 at all? the only thing I find ugly in this thread is your post ;) ...oh no, there's something else, your general style, here, and in the other post you got on the forums, absolutely ugly >>> read books, don't try to write them ;D

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60879.msg514417#msg514417  :D :D :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 05:58:38 PM »
kelltic, avast is one of the most configurable antivirus. Just tweak it how do you want or need.
The version 5 is not skinnable.
The best things in life are free.

kelltic

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 09:46:57 PM »

@ Jean D:   :) :)   Thanks for the helpful hint and the smile.

@ Tech        Thanks for answering.  Any chance skins will be available in the future? Or - could you answer my question about version 4.8?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 10:11:15 PM »
Skins won't be available in the future, the third party skinning software that was used is no longer available and I believe they wanted to get away from that and have a Corporate colour scheme for the new avast UI.

Yes you can use avast 4.8 until the end of the year when all support including VPS updates will cease; avast 5 has been out 5 months now.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Saty

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 10:28:38 PM »
Avast 4.8 Home Edition installations that are close to expiring (say a few months before expiring) are now getting pop-ups asking the users to upgrade to v5. If you absolutely want to stay with v4.8 (which I don't think is a good idea as v5 is superior in multiple aspects, including virus detection rates), a way to do it is re-register your v4.8 Home Edition (i.e. requesting a new key and inserting it to the program) - a process which will effectively push the expiration date to June 2011.
http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php

Hope this helps,
Vlk

not sure if my copy and paste works, i found this in the how to stop annoyng popup ads thread.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 10:32:59 PM »
Any chance skins will be available in the future?
I don't think so. Although that particular program was dropped, a new one could be used. There is no technical limitation for skins. They could exist. But I don't think they will go for them anymore. Maybe they use themes (different color schemes).

Or - could you answer my question about version 4.8?
Which one?

kelltic

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 05:15:41 PM »
OK. Thanks everyone. All my questions got answered.

I've already installed version 5. That's how I know I don't like its looks. I guess my choices are: 1) going back to 4.8 (IF I can find a place to download it) or 2) switching to Avira or 3) trying to learn to live with AVAST as it is. I was hoping for a happier solution.

Thanks again.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 05:18:47 PM »
I've already installed version 5. That's how I know I don't like its looks.

What's the problem..??
Once installed and configured, there's no need to even open the GUI.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Jean D

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 09:14:30 PM »
@ Logos: Do you really expect an honnest answer to that one? Chances are it would be quite off charter.

Now, if you can't understand properly a  ;) I'd advise you to learn its meaning before posting on ANY forum.

And no one is forcing you to read my posts so, the general idea of an hypothetical answer to you would be: get lost! Z'that short 'nough for ya?  >:(

And reading yourself back before criticizing one's style could be intelligent. For the record, and since you can edit it, your message's original version reads: "why do use Avast 5 at all?". Being good at "fill the blanks" I know you really meant "Why? Do you use Avast 5! at all?" but, if I was you, I'd leave issues in style to academics. :P

Now, did I overrun your attention span limits? Ooops! Sorry! Never mind...

Hermite15

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 09:19:41 PM »
@ Logos: Do you really expect an honnest answer to that one? Chances are it would be quite off charter.

Now, if you can't understand properly a  ;) I'd advise you to learn its meaning before posting on ANY forum.

And no one is forcing you to read my posts so, the general idea of an hypothetical answer to you would be: get lost! Z'that short 'nough for ya?  >:(

And reading yourself back before criticizing one's style could be intelligent. For the record, and since you can edit it, your message's original version reads: "why do use Avast 5 at all?". Being good at "fill the blanks" I know you really meant "Why? Do you use Avast 5! at all?" but, if I was you, I'd leave issues in style to academics. :P

Now, did I overrun your attention span limits? Ooops! Sorry! Never mind...

you're quite a ridiculous person aren't you  :D ...go ahead that's entertaining, got a bit of time, I love it when the scum goes intellectual 8) ...but be warned I get bored easily ;)

garaden

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 09:50:45 PM »
Must we flame in a support forum? Getting back to the matter at hand, you can change your settings to disable the voice alerts, as well as all non-infection alerts (check the "Sound" tab for the voice, and "Updates" -> "Details" for alerts). You can disable the tray icon too, if you wish ("Basic"). That way you will only be notified if there's an infection.

I think you should stick with Avast if you find that it's useful. It's the most effective antivirus on the Internet; switching on account of the UI could theoretically compromise your computer :)

Mr.Agent

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 10:09:09 PM »
Its look like a interface fight here. The interface of the 5.0 comparing to 4.8 dont tell me yes but its way way better... If you think that the UI will decrease the protection then no. Why switch for Avira then ? That has really no sense. Or because u think with his UI that u think that is better will provide you more protection is that you say behind expert ?

Absoluty false ! The new UI of avast! has been discutted and they cant make everyone happy or what ever. >:( Also i can say its provide a more friendly user interface more than a simple mini mp3 interface.

Mr.Agent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 03:27:28 AM »
1) going back to 4.8 (IF I can find a place to download it)
avast website itself. Not recommend. The protection is inferior of version 5, the support will end by the end of 2010 (probably), less features.

2) switching to Avira
Well, if this is in your plans... Go ahead and be happy. Avira has annoying popups. You're warned ;)

3) trying to learn to live with AVAST as it is.
Hint ;)