Author Topic: Registry Cleaner fails to undo last step  (Read 29192 times)

Lion70

Registry Cleaner fails to undo last step
« on: June 21, 2010, 02:05:55 PM »
I cleaned the registry (Win XP Pro) with the Registry Cleaner. After rebooting a lot of things just did not work. I wanted to "Undo last step" but it says:

"restoring data from file xxxxxx.rcr
task failed
can't set key value"

No matter what I do, this happens all the time. I tried to boot from

1. the BART DVD
2. the harddisk in normal mode
3. the harddisk in safe mode with network
4. the harddisk in safe mode without network

Did not help, could not restore the earlier registry state.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Lion70

Re: Registry Cleaner fails to undo last step
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 01:46:06 PM »
Is there anybody here alive? Anybody from Avast? Or should I reinstall my screwed up WinXP from scratch?

Tgell

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 05:43:01 PM »
Hello,
You did try to do a system restore from a previous time period, correct? This is just my opinion, but I try to avoid registry cleaners. Even if a few megabytes are removed, the performance difference is not that noticeable. Were you trying to clean out a virus infection?

Lion70

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 08:01:20 AM »
Hello,
You did try to do a system restore from a previous time period, correct? This is just my opinion, but I try to avoid registry cleaners. Even if a few megabytes are removed, the performance difference is not that noticeable. Were you trying to clean out a virus infection?

I had some problems with the OS loading after my kids did "something" ;D . I uninstalled some games they installed but that did not change the fact that the OS loaded in about 3 (!) minutes which earlier was 1 minute. The strange thing was that while loading it stopped for a long time without any harddisk or other action. At first I thought my OS was screwed up and did a hardreset but then I just waited more and finally the OS came up. I tried it a few times and it always did the same.

Sidestory: at that time I was simultaneously searching for the answer: what my kids did with my notebook (damn kids  ;D) and why was it going always to Blue Screen of Death EVEN when I boot from the WinXP CD. (Later I realised that they "cooked" the motherboard by putting and leaving the notebook on the bed for hours which seized any ventilation under the machine... and I did not have a plus ventilation board under it. I promised myself I would buy one. So it is a hardware error.) While testing, I tried a lot of things, and avast! BART DVD seemed to be a good solution.

Back to the main story which is about my PC: I tried the avast! BART DVD on my PC as well just to test a few things. I started the Registry Cleaner and I saw that it has an undo function so I thought it is safe to use it. I thought: if it does something wrong I can undo it.

But I could not. And that was and is very disappointing.

I know I should have been more cautious - as I am an IT engineer with 25 years experience - but I definitely trusted avast.
That was the mistake. I hope someone can provide a solution to restore the last registry I had and I still have - in an RCR file.

By the way, TweakXP has a registry cleaner which never gave headaches to me. I do not know if it is as clever as avast's.

After this long story my question again is: is there any chance or maybe a tool to restore my registry? Or an RCR file viewer?

Thanks for any response.

Tgell

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 02:14:07 PM »
So, when you tried to do a system restore in XP, it failed?  Is this .rcr file part of avast? Because I have never heard of a .rcr file used by Windows. You could try to do a system restore outside of windows using the following:

Choose safe mode with command prompt:
Login to an admin account:
At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER.

Pick a restore point:

Hope this helps.

Lion70

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 04:07:56 PM »
So, when you tried to do a system restore in XP, it failed?  Is this .rcr file part of avast? Because I have never heard of a .rcr file used by Windows. You could try to do a system restore outside of windows using the following:

Choose safe mode with command prompt:
Login to an admin account:
At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER.

Pick a restore point:

Hope this helps.

I did not make a WinXP system restore. I had and I still have a fear of it  ;D . I have bad experience using that. But this very evening I am going to try it! (hmmm, how brave I am...)

Thank you for the suggestion, I will be back tomorrow (it is afternoon here).

However... I am still worried about this WinXP restore stuff... Maybe it will make more mess I mean last time I used it (a long-long time ago) it stepped back about a year!. I had to reinstall every single thing. I hope this time it will not be that case.  :-\

Tgell

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 06:19:12 PM »
I have used System Restore a number of times with no problems. You can pick the date that you wish to revert back to.

See this short tutorial.
http://www.top-windows-tutorials.com/system-restore-xp.html

« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 06:22:08 PM by Tgell »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 03:16:45 AM »
Just take in account that avast could have problems with System Restore in some systems.
The problem is only corrected in the latest beta (yet).
The best things in life are free.

Lion70

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 08:26:49 AM »
I have used System Restore a number of times with no problems. You can pick the date that you wish to revert back to.

See this short tutorial.
http://www.top-windows-tutorials.com/system-restore-xp.html

So I tried it yesterday. The system restore service was not turned on...  :( It never was I think (I do not know why).

Anyway thank you for the link! I will definitely use it and the restore service in the future.

Now what can I do? I think I will reinstall the OS  ::) Ouch, that hurts...

Lion70

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 08:30:52 AM »
Just take in account that avast could have problems with System Restore in some systems.
The problem is only corrected in the latest beta (yet).

Do you mean that I should give a try that beta? Where is it? I just can not find it...

Lion70

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 08:32:15 AM »
By the way: thank you all for helping me! I keep on trying...

Tgell

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 03:09:07 PM »
This is probably a long shot but do you have avast! 4.8 or 5 installed?. If so, uninstall it and then try to recover the .rcr file with the Bart CD. Then reinstall your avast antivirus. Otherwise, you are probably looking a reinstalling XP. Forget about registry cleaners unless you are targeting specific keys to remove malware. Good Luck.

Lion70

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 04:07:33 PM »
This is probably a long shot but do you have avast! 4.8 or 5 installed?. If so, uninstall it and then try to recover the .rcr file with the Bart CD. Then reinstall your avast antivirus. Otherwise, you are probably looking a reinstalling XP. Forget about registry cleaners unless you are targeting specific keys to remove malware. Good Luck.

I only have (I mean: HAD) avast! antivirus installed, not the Registry Cleaner. I ran it from the BART CD every time I needed it.
Today I am going to try to reinstall XP.

Lion70

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 07:34:29 AM »
I tried the XP Repair Installation but the case remained the same.
I had a look on the BART CD and its version is 2.0.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 03:12:39 AM »
Do you mean that I should give a try that beta? Where is it? I just can not find it...
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=61045.msg515061#msg515061
The best things in life are free.