Author Topic: Permission Denied, Operation Not Permitted, Invalid Argument, Input/Output Error  (Read 12822 times)

ata0311

Hello,

I am a fairly new Ubuntu user. I am currently running 32 bit 10.04 on my desktop and 10.04 Netbook Remix. Why is it that on my Results of last scan page all of the above operations are listed? Is that bad or do I need to do something to fix it?

Thanks

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Hello,

I am a fairly new Ubuntu user. I am currently running 32 bit 10.04 on my desktop and 10.04 Netbook Remix. Why is it that on my Results of last scan page all of the above operations are listed? Is that bad or do I need to do something to fix it?

Thanks

Hello,
it's all about system messages - why it wasn't possible to do thorough scan. It has  nothing to do with infection or infection-suspiction even. It's just about file accessibility and processing.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

twogun

Hello,

Thanks

Hello,
it's all about system messages - why it wasn't possible to do thorough scan. It has  nothing to do with infection or infection-suspiction even. It's just about file accessibility and processing.

regards,
pc

But isn't scanning my system all about having access to all files to insure that none of them are infected, etc?  I am using Ubuntu 10.10 on this HD, and ALL my report came back permission denied.....so it looks like NOTHING was actually scanned??

Also, another question:  I am on a laptop, and have two hard drives - one windows and one Linux -- I have a 3-computer licence for Avast - but if I remove the windows HD and insert the Linux one, do you consider that to be a 4th computer, or is there some way to get my 3-system licence to cover this HD too -- It's the same computer...??

Thanks

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Hello,

Thanks

Hello,

regards,
pc

But isn't scanning my system all about having access to all files to insure that none of them are infected, etc?  I am using Ubuntu 10.10 on this HD, and ALL my report came back permission denied.....so it looks like NOTHING was actually scanned??

Also, another question:  I am on a laptop, and have two hard drives - one windows and one Linux -- I have a 3-computer licence for Avast - but if I remove the windows HD and insert the Linux one, do you consider that to be a 4th computer, or is there some way to get my 3-system licence to cover this HD too -- It's the same computer...??

Thanks

Isn't, unless you are system administrator (root) and logged this way. All unixes are about perfect user separation - you should never expect as user A to be able to see, scan and even maniopulate user's B files (unless you have ESET Cybersecurity for Mac or other software which corrupts this fundamental principle:).

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)