Author Topic: Comodo Internet Security Complete Vrs Avast?  (Read 25275 times)

brhokla

Comodo Internet Security Complete Vrs Avast?
« on: June 22, 2010, 09:33:55 PM »
Hello,

Anybody tried Comodo Internet Security Complete?  It has a sandbox, firewall, antivirus and so much more.  Just trying to find a comparison as to how well it does vrs Avast Pro?  I have used Comodo's Firewall and love it but never the rest.  Anybody know anything about their AV products?  Thanks

hayc59

Re: Comodo Internet Security Complete Vrs Avast?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 10:06:40 PM »
My..Opin..would not touch Comode with a 300 foot pole!!
thats just me!! ;)

Mr.Agent

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 10:11:14 PM »
I will never trust more avast! Internet Security for a Comodo !

Btw dont compare the Pro of avast! vs a internet security that would be a suicide. Compare it to avast! Internet Security.

But still my choice would be avast!. Really nice firewall and no such annoying like the Comodo Firewall. Seriously.

Go avast!. Safe surf and dont get annoyed by those pop ups that Comodo Defense+ give to you.

Mr.Agent

brhokla

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 10:27:03 PM »
I just wondered if anybody here has tried it?  I mean after all this is a Avast forum so surely most will say use the Avast.  I already have Avast Pro but I got Comodo Internet Security and was just trying to see how it compares.  I was going to install it on my sons computer.  Didn't know the good and the bad, pro, cons.... 

larsson

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 10:41:15 PM »
This forum is only for Avast! fans.

No doubts of this product allowed!

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »
This forum is only for Avast! fans.

No doubts of this product allowed!

that's right ::) ..and they love so much competitors' products on other forums  ;D

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 11:02:08 PM »
Logos :)

Shall we report him for spamming ;D

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Dch48

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 11:04:40 PM »
I used Comodo Internet Security for about a year. It protects you very well but at the price of receiving annoying alerts about the normal actions of every program on your computer. It causes problems getting full screen applications like games to work right. You have to put Comodo into training mode where it allows everything the first time you play the game so the appropriate rules are made to allow the actions of the application. Since they have added the sandbox, the problems with getting games and some other things to work have gotten worse. It automatically sandboxes anything that is "unknown", meaning anything not in Comodo's whitelists of safe things. The whitelist is pitifully small and does not include any game software since Comodo has stated that they will not whitelist games. Not even the hugely popular World of Warcraft and all the Steam offerings. These problems have led me to only use the basic Firewall part of Comodo coupled with Avast! 5 Free.

If you want total protection from everything and can put up with alerts for every action of everything you install that isn't flagged as safe by Comodo, then maybe CIS is for you. The problem for me is that it "protects" you even from things that are known to be safe by most of the civilized world and makes you jump through hoops to make a lot of things work. As far as the company goes, Comodo is well intentioned and honorable. For me , however, all of their offerings are too aggressive and not user friendly at all. Some people, mostly those who want to see every action that everything does and who like tinkering with everything on their system, like Comodo products but they are not for me. The basic Firewall though, without the HIPS and sandbox, works very well as a two way firewall and I would recommend it over things like Zone Alarm and Online Armor or Outpost ( with the HIPS turned off in them too of course)

I have not tried the full AIS suite so I can't comment on it. I have gathered from reading though that the firewall is good and silent and that the sandbox feature is not automatic but on demand. These things lead me to believe that most people would prefer it over Comodo.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 11:07:38 PM by Dch48 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 11:05:12 PM »
The comparison should be between AIS and CIS.
I'm testing CIS in a virtual environment. Can't comment yet, but seems that Defense+ features aren't, somehow, not present in AIS.
In Comodo forums there are comparisons but, obviously, you will hear the opposite fan wave of here ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 11:11:06 PM »
It automatically sandboxes anything that is "unknown", meaning anything not in Comodo's whitelists of safe things.
That's the policy.
avast and legacy antivirus are "default allow": if it is not in the blacklist (signature, heuristic, behavior) then allow.
CIS is "default deny": if it is not in the whitelist do not allow. So unknown files can't be executed.

I have not tried the full AIS suite so I can't comment on it. I have gathered from reading though that the firewall is good and silent and that the sandbox feature is not automatic but on demand.
Yeah.

Dch48

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 11:18:40 PM »
It automatically sandboxes anything that is "unknown", meaning anything not in Comodo's whitelists of safe things.
That's the policy.
avast and legacy antivirus are "default allow": if it is not in the blacklist (signature, heuristic, behavior) then allow.
CIS is "default deny": if it is not in the whitelist do not allow. So unknown files can't be executed.

I know that is the policy and why it does it that way. I was just trying to point out that you would have to put up with it if you chose Comodo. I have returned to preferring the default allow approach and feel that it is the way to go for the vast majority of computer users. I was just pointing out what the OP would encounter with using CIS.

Hermite15

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 11:46:52 PM »
Logos :)

Shall we report him for spamming ;D

Greetz, Red.

oh I already did, he must have already landed on Mars by now :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 12:58:50 AM »
Dch48, I was not correcting you, just complement you. We feel the same.

brhokla

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 01:56:54 AM »
I already have Avast Pro 5.0 but was given CIS and wondered what peoples thoughts are on the product.  I do love the Comodo Firewall though and have yet to find one I like better. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 07:10:38 AM by brhokla »

smage

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 08:30:52 AM »
Oh not again a thread of CIS vs AIS!

Let's sum it up, CIS provides better protection than AIS because it sandboxes all unknown files but this makes it more difficult to use as it tends to sandbox clean files also preventing them from working properly.

Wise people choose the best from both vendors and thus install a combo of Avast Free and Comodo firewall Pro to enjoy a maximum protection for free while fan boys keep arguing over which suite is the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Flanguy99%23p%2Fsearch%2F1%2FnPWLlF_bIC8&v=nPWLlF_bIC8

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 11:31:20 AM by smage »