Author Topic: Comodo Internet Security Complete Vrs Avast?  (Read 25271 times)

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Comodo Internet Security Complete Vrs Avast?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 11:14:49 AM »
I would try out both on your computer then pick whatever you feel most comfortable with or you can use the firewall from Comodo with the AV from Avast.
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 01:37:42 PM »
while fan boys keep arguing over which suite is the best.
Fanboys? Where? Well... people have their opinion but this does not make them fanboys...
But indeed, some uses the free of both.
The best things in life are free.

smage

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 04:02:37 PM »
while fan boys keep arguing over which suite is the best.
Fanboys? Where? Well... people have their opinion but this does not make them fanboys...
But indeed, some uses the free of both.

Yep you are right, each one has his own opinion and this is how it should be.  This is why there are different types of security software available to suit the needs of everyone.  To me both AIS and CIS are good products.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 04:44:04 PM »
Hmm... Let me see now. How to put this most succinctly.

AIS 5 is not perfect but I find its various weaponry intelligently coordinated in such a way as to be highly effective while causing minimal impedence to my computing experience.

CIS 4.1 Premium also has many effective anti-malware weapons... but not much of a brain!
In its contribution to the serenity of your PC use, you will find it is as much an enemy as an ally.

It's also no longer as "light" on resource use as it once was. E.g. in one recent test, AIS increased the time taken to execute Open Office 'swriter.exe' by 47%. CIS increased it by 180%. Of course, that's after you have on previous occasions dismissed a series of Defense+ popup warnings because CIS "Default Deny" policy does not trust the vendor. ::)

« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 04:12:07 AM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

smage

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 05:08:14 PM »
Hmm... Let me see now. How to put this most succinctly.

AIS 5 is not perfect but I find its various weaponry intelligently coordinated in such a way as to be highly effective while causing minimal impedence to my computing experience.

CIS 4.1 Premium also has many effective anti-malware weapons... but not much of a brain!
In its contribution to the serenity of your PC use, you will find it is as much an enemy as an ally.

It's also no longer as "light" on resource use as it once was. E.g. in one recent test, AIS increased the time taken to execute Open Office 'swriter'exe' by 47%. CIS increased it by 180%. Of course, that's after you have on previious occasions dismissed a series of Defense+ popup warnings because CIS "Default Deny" policy does not trust the vendor. ::)

The challenge for Avast is how to improve its proactive defense to prevent users from being infected while for Comodo the challenge is how to have an even bigger white list to enhance its usability.

cvsa

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 06:53:55 PM »
I'm using Avast AV v5 + Comodo Internet security FW (Firewall + defense+) and I think it's the best couple for security. They play nice together.  I use to have  CIS full (because comodo has now better detection rate than avast! ;D) but Comodo's AV was slowing down my pc (browsing the explorer) so i removed the av . On that point, avast is faster and i like it's web shield...

For comodo, if you're not very familiar with pcs, you can leave the sandbox "on" (even if it's not perfect yet) . If you're a geek, then disable the sandbox and your security will be allmost perfect.

hope this helps  8)

smage

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 07:20:57 PM »
because comodo has now better detection rate than avast! ;D

This is not true!
There are no reliable tests to show that Comodo AV is better than Avast AV.

cvsa

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 07:35:14 PM »
eternal question..... but that's my opinion based on several recent (<2 days) virus collected ....

on my last test today , avast caught 181/241 and comodo caught 217/241.... I think that avast is sometimes a bit long to take new virus into account;;; :P

another test not mine)  : http://sashland.de/portal/2010/06/12/der-grose-sl-portal-malware-test-2010/#more-5315

Anyway, the detection rate is not the key point anymore in AV or security suites, thats why i stick to avast av + a good firewall (with a hips ans an online in the cloud lookup) like cis FW.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 07:53:02 PM by cvsa »

garrett

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 07:42:37 PM »
I think Comodo av has improved a lot in detection of binary files, but is still far behind avast in detections of exploits, which are the most common way of infections at the moment.

cvsa

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2010, 07:50:17 PM »
that's why i like avast! webshield  ;)

Dch48

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2010, 10:21:49 PM »
eternal question..... but that's my opinion based on several recent (<2 days) virus collected ....

on my last test today , avast caught 181/241 and comodo caught 217/241.... I think that avast is sometimes a bit long to take new virus into account;;; :P

another test not mine)  : http://sashland.de/portal/2010/06/12/der-grose-sl-portal-malware-test-2010/#more-5315

Anyway, the detection rate is not the key point anymore in AV or security suites, thats why i stick to avast av + a good firewall (with a hips ans an online in the cloud lookup) like cis FW.
The test you linked did not test the AV's by themselves. To my knowledge, there has never been a test done of the Comodo AV by itself and not as part of the Internet Security Suite. Of course Comodo scores higher than Avast in those tests but that doesn't mean that the detection rate was strictly from the AV. From other published tests, it's clear that the majority of malware blocking is done by the HIPS and not by the AV and it's impossible to tell how much the AV has actually contributed.  They would have to either install the AV only or test CIS with both the HIPS and the sandbox disabled and I have never seen anyone do either one.

HIPS can be highly effective but it comes at too high a price in usability of my machine to suit me. I want a good AV with good heuristics and behavior checking and just a basic 2 way firewall. I also want to see everything on a web page so I do not block ads, Flash, or Java. I will not let the actions of a collection of pond scum diminish my enjoyment or utilization of my computer. If I do that, they have won. It's like giving in to terrorists.

brhokla

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2010, 11:51:16 PM »
These are all great replies and I like some of you has Avast 5 Pro and Comodo Firewall working together.  I have used the Sandbox on Comodo but currently have it off.  I have not been using the Defense +.  I do live the firewall though and besides a couple 3-4 pop ups the first two days about stuff I was running and connecting to the internet it has now been flawless and absolutely Zero pop ups.  I guess it learns your system and stuff. All in All, I support Comodo's Firewall.  Thanks for the replies.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2010, 02:59:08 AM »
The test you linked did not test the AV's by themselves. To my knowledge, there has never been a test done of the Comodo AV by itself and not as part of the Internet Security Suite. Of course Comodo scores higher than Avast in those tests but that doesn't mean that the detection rate was strictly from the AV. From other published tests, it's clear that the majority of malware blocking is done by the HIPS and not by the AV and it's impossible to tell how much the AV has actually contributed.  They would have to either install the AV only or test CIS with both the HIPS and the sandbox disabled and I have never seen anyone do either one.
They don't "want" the AV to be tested without the suite.
As avast doesn't "want" the firewall (AIS) to be tested without the antivirus.
The best things in life are free.

Dch48

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2010, 05:36:20 AM »
Exactly Tech. I have always said that Comodo's AV would not fare well outside of the suite when measured against other AV's. It does a pretty decent job working within the framework of the entire suite and that's what it was designed for. It's really only there to try to reduce the number of annoying D+ HIPS alerts and also to enhance the marketability of the suite to people who would be put off by there being no AV included. With the way that CIS works, there really might not be a need for any AV product if you are willing to put up with HIPS behavior and have enough knowledge to distinguish the good from the bad on your own when you get an alert.

Personally my favorite for a security suite is still Norton but I'm not willing to pay the $50 a year any more.

cvsa

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2010, 08:20:07 AM »
They don't "want" the AV to be tested without the suite.
As avast doesn't "want" the firewall (AIS) to be tested without the antivirus.

And they are right ! A signature based AV is not enough nowadays. Even a hips is not enough anymore and can be abused by trusted signatures, msi installers etc...(some start talking of behavior blocking, IDS and IPS) cf Mamutu, threatfire, appdefend....

:)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 08:22:16 AM by cvsa »