Author Topic: Comodo Internet Security Complete Vrs Avast?  (Read 25270 times)

garrett

Re: Comodo Internet Security Complete Vrs Avast?
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2010, 10:55:15 AM »
HIPS can be highly effective but it comes at too high a price in usability of my machine to suit me. I want a good AV with good heuristics and behavior checking and just a basic 2 way firewall. I also want to see everything on a web page so I do not block ads, Flash, or Java. I will not let the actions of a collection of pond scum diminish my enjoyment or utilization of my computer. If I do that, they have won. It's like giving in to terrorists.

How right you are! That's the reason why many people prefer behaviour blocking to pure HIPS and also why Avast needs to improve a lot its behaviour shield that is pretty useless right now.

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2010, 01:18:40 PM »
BB's have their own pros and cons so I would in no way think they are the be all and end all.
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

clocks

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2010, 04:15:13 PM »
Exactly Tech. I have always said that Comodo's AV would not fare well outside of the suite when measured against other AV's. It does a pretty decent job working within the framework of the entire suite and that's what it was designed for. It's really only there to try to reduce the number of annoying D+ HIPS alerts and also to enhance the marketability of the suite to people who would be put off by there being no AV included. With the way that CIS works, there really might not be a need for any AV product if you are willing to put up with HIPS behavior and have enough knowledge to distinguish the good from the bad on your own when you get an alert.

Personally my favorite for a security suite is still Norton but I'm not willing to pay the $50 a year any more.

I think the AV in CIS is better than you give it credit for.  Also, if you like Norton, you can regularly get it between $10-$20 online through eBay, Amazon, newegg, buy.com, Fry's, etc...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2010, 04:20:50 PM »
Try to reduce the number of annoying D+ HIPS alerts
They're developing cloud analysis, submitting the files to analysis and building up a whitelist.
The best things in life are free.

rambo1940

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2010, 04:35:14 PM »
Nothing but problems with Comodo.
In the early days i used the firewall which was very good but as it grew there became more and more problems.
I did ,however,try latest version in part and in whole.Nothing but problems so much so that i had to reformat my hard drive.
Comodo is the biggest load of rubbish i have ever used.
I would advise to stay clear and use Avast Free and the Windows Firewall or another 3rd party firewall of which there are many.Just try each one in turn until you find one that runs perfectly on your computer.
Regards  

clocks

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2010, 05:07:38 PM »
Nothing but problems with Comodo.

I think it provides awesome protection, especially for a free product, but it can be annoying with too many popups for safe programs.   They need to work on that.  In its current state, I will not install it on most peoples computers.

rambo1940

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2010, 05:28:54 PM »
Pop ups is not the problem.
But when you have to reformat that is.
The whole world is paranoid about anti virus etc,etc,etc
Just find an anti virus and firewall that runs on your computer without any problems and you have the perfect security.
For me the best is Avast Free and the Windows 7 firewall and i have tried everything but this setup is the best.
The problem with Comodo is they are more interested in adding more bells and whistles rather than concentrating on getting the application to run without any problems.
Regards

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2010, 05:33:51 PM »
Comodo is the biggest load of rubbish i have ever used.
Well, I have a lot of problems also... But I'm troubleshooting them side by side with the developers.

I think it provides awesome protection, especially for a free product, but it can be annoying with too many popups for safe programs.   They need to work on that.  In its current state, I will not install it on most peoples computers.
They need to improve their whitelist database indeed. Popups is the annoying part of the "deny all" policy. They're developing cloud technology to reduce that.

The whole world is paranoid about anti virus etc,etc,etc
Just find an anti virus and firewall that runs on your computer without any problems and you have the perfect security.
+ safe browsing will do it for most users.

For me the best is Avast Free and the Windows 7 firewall and i have tried everything but this setup is the best.
I've already criticize this.
https://forums.comodo.com/which-product-do-you-want-comodo-to-develop-next/do-it-right-first-do-things-better-few-but-good-ones-t56968.0.html

rambo1940

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2010, 05:40:49 PM »
How about a comment about me having to reformat my hard drive because Comodo screwed it up or don't you have a answer for that.

clocks

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2010, 06:03:12 PM »
How about a comment about me having to reformat my hard drive because Comodo screwed it up or don't you have a answer for that.

I have heard horror stories about all programs.  I think your issue with Comodo Internet Security, that caused you to reformat your hard drive, is fairly isolated.  I have not heard of anyone else having such a severe issue.

cvsa

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2010, 06:58:44 PM »

very rare case.... never seen it before.... most of the time, you can always start windows in safe mode , uninstall cis and run their cleanup tool...  ::)

It's pretty weird to say that cis is rubbish.... but i understand that reformatting a pc is a bad experience...

clocks

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2010, 07:03:06 PM »

very rare case.... never seen it before.... most of the time, you can always start windows in safe mode , uninstall cis and run their cleanup tool...  ::)

It's pretty weird to say that cis is rubbish.... but i understand that reformatting a pc is a bad experience...

Agreed.  Or use system restore (often works).  My PC has gotten screwed up from other programs before, to the point I reinstalled Windows, but never have heard of someone needing to reformat their hard drive.

rambo1940

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2010, 07:13:29 PM »
I really had to reformat.
I tried everything beforehand,nothing worked.
I first tried Comodo about 4 years ago and thought it was great but since they started to add av,etc,etc i had problems each time there was an update so i based my opinion on that but the last episode was the end of the line.
So my thoughts are based on experience.
I just love Avast, absolutely no problems

disPlay

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2010, 08:55:52 PM »
I really had to reformat.
I tried everything beforehand,nothing worked.
I first tried Comodo about 4 years ago and thought it was great but since they started to add av,etc,etc i had problems each time there was an update so i based my opinion on that but the last episode was the end of the line.
So my thoughts are based on experience.
I just love Avast, absolutely no problems

All the av companies have problem, if you don't belive read avast forum and others and you will see. You only had bad luck.
Just like Tech had some problems with CTM in the last version I have used and I never saw an issue.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2010, 09:04:40 PM »
Just like Tech had some problems with CTM in the last version I have used and I never saw an issue.
Yeah... That was bad...
But I'm using the Beta of CTM as it is working very good. No "serious" problems.