Author Topic: Spybot S & D - unnecessary if using Avast? Slowing system?  (Read 31633 times)

Offline Bosco123456

Spybot S & D - unnecessary if using Avast? Slowing system?
« on: June 24, 2010, 07:43:50 AM »
I'm trying to get my computer browsing working faster.

I use Avast with all of its shields enabled.
I also have kept Spybot Search and Destroy on my computer.
Once in awhile I may activate it and do a virus scan if I suspect a problem and want extra reassurance that my system is ok.

Just noticed that Spybot states that it runs some Resident Protection (always running) - its "Teatime" and a Download Blocker.

I had (all these years) believed that these 2 had to be activated to provide Realtime Protection.

I don't see any reason to keep this on my computer at this point, since I am happy with the free Avast Antivirus Program, and I assume that Spybot's Resident Protections could be slowing my browsing, or are at least unnecessary since I am using Avast.

Agree? Disagree?

(Apparently Spybot has no forum, so I can't confirm this with them).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 07:51:14 AM by Bosco123456 »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Spybot S & D - unnecessary if using Avast? Slowing system?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 08:01:00 AM »
(Apparently Spybot has no forum, so I can't confirm this with them).
http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=4

I would remove SpyBot, and replace it with the best remover out ther
Malwarebytes Antimalware www.malwarebytes.org
forum  http://forums.malwarebytes.org/

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.46 http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

and if you want an extra scanner
Superantispyware www.superantispyware.com
forum  http://forums.superantispyware.com/
SuperAntiSpyware 4.39.1002 http://filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 08:03:32 AM by Pondus »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 10:31:30 AM »
I don't see any reason to keep this on my computer at this point, since I am happy with the free Avast Antivirus Program, and I assume that Spybot's Resident Protections could be slowing my browsing, or are at least unnecessary since I am using Avast.

Agree? Disagree?

Agree...!!!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 10:46:06 AM »
I'm one of the users using Spybot S&D resident with avast!, but if I were on your situation, I would drop Spybot resident protection, at least TeaTimer.
TeaTimer is useful for me in some aspects, but it is true that TeaTimer consumes huge memory (90,000 kb +- 30,000kb) and sometimes it hugs my CPU. :-\

SDHelper (one layer of download blocker) only works on IE, so if you use another browser, it also can be dropped.

But Immunize protection (another layer of download blocker), this works not only IE but also FF / Opera, should be enabled imho.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 10:51:13 AM by NON »
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 03:53:22 PM »
+1 for Pondus suggestions.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 07:45:27 PM »
I'm one of the users using Spybot S&D resident with avast!, but if I were on your situation, I would drop Spybot resident protection, at least TeaTimer.
<SNIPPed>
But Immunize protection (another layer of download blocker), this works not only IE but also FF / Opera, should be enabled imho.

I'm having no problems without the resident TeaTimer.  With it out of the way, there shouldn't be any slowdown with SpyBot Search & Destroy as any protection provided is passive.  I left SdHelper active as I do occasionally fire up IE8.  Otherwise, I use Firefox as my default browser.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

EntitY

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 08:10:30 PM »
2nd +1 for Pondus suggestions.

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 08:27:34 PM »
yeah ss&d should be banned ;D ...okay it's a seriously oudated piece of software, scan methods, heavy interface, looks ugly etc...I used it years ago on XP, can confirm tea timer was a mem hog ::)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 09:22:39 PM »
I dropped SS&D ages ago, in favor of SAS and MBAM (free versions of both), because I wasn't happy with the way SS&D offers part of its (dubious) protection in the form of humongous additions to the Hosts file. Given the rest of my "defense arsenal" (see sig.), I was able to drop back to the default Win Hosts file, which has just the single localhost entry.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

bo.elam

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 05:43:01 AM »
Bosco123456, Spybot is outdated. Replace it with MBAM and SAS as you
have been advised by other users and use their free version which is not
on real time. Malwarebytes is the best all in one shot against malware.
Bo

Offline Bosco123456

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 01:20:04 AM »
Thanks to all who replied.

Am I correct that the Spybot "Tea Timer" and Download Blocker are ALWAYS running?
I recall - or I always believed - that it was necessary to check those 2 to activate them.
There is a check box next to each one which I leave unchecked - however, I noticed this week  that it says "Active" next to both of these anyway. Don't know if one of the updates changed this, or if I was just unaware of this previously.
The "Help" indicates that these are always running.
Task Manager however gives no indication that they are running.
??

I already do have MBAM on my desktop.  I had Superantisypyware, but recently deleted it.
It took forever to initialize, took forever to download updates, sometimes locked up the window I was working on while it did those things, and a few other annoying things.

I have kept the final antispyware I occasionally use for an extra scan - a-squared Free - but this is truly only for an emergency, as it definitely turns up false positives - about 8 suspected Trojans last time I scanned. Several of them were positively legitimate programs, and I believe the others it turned up are also - it's done this in the past so I don't trust it - the "Trojans" it turns up are never recognized by Avast and MBAM and Superantispyware.

Thanks for the suggestions.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 01:22:58 AM by Bosco123456 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 01:39:08 AM »
1. Thanks to all who replied.
2. I already do have MBAM on my desktop.  I had Superantisypyware, but recently deleted it.
3. I have kept the final antispyware I occasionally use for an extra scan - a-squared Free - but this is truly only for an emergency
4. Thanks for the suggestions.

1. You're welcome..!
2. Keep Mbam. You don't need SAS.
3. A² is a good program, if you know how to handle it. As you know about the FPs, keep it.
4. No problem, but did you drop Spybot yet..?? ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 04:55:44 AM »
@@Bosco123456

Old Thread, but still relevant about disabling TeaTimer.  http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=2827

I'm not familiar with Download Blocker.  It is not a part of SpyBot Search & Destroy.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

bo.elam

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 07:43:55 AM »
Bosco123456 I have not used Spybot for a long time but I remember that
when Tea timer was running it showed a icon next to the clock.
I think it was not on real time by default but you had to enable it by opening
the expert/settings ? area.
Bo

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 08:14:44 PM »
Thanks to all who replied.

Am I correct that the Spybot "Tea Timer" and Download Blocker are ALWAYS running?
I recall - or I always believed - that it was necessary to check those 2 to activate them.
There is a check box next to each one which I leave unchecked - however, I noticed this week  that it says "Active" next to both of these anyway. Don't know if one of the updates changed this, or if I was just unaware of this previously.
The "Help" indicates that these are always running.
Task Manager however gives no indication that they are running.
??

Thanks for the suggestions.
As I'd mentioned earlier, I'd dumped Spybot quite a while back, so I can't answer for sure about this particular case.  But there are some programs which, when upgraded to latest version (did Spybot do this recently?), insist on resetting everything to defaults rather than "inheriting" your settings from the previous version.

Sun Java RTE does this, most noticeably in resetting updates to auto-update which I don't want since I'll usually learn about its new updates (typically security patches) here or at other forums long before Sun advises me.  I always get the offline-installer version, to avoid getting tied up too long online, and while it does remember other settings (like caching) it always resets the update mode.  It's possible that the online installer works differently and remembers all your settings.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent