Author Topic: Spybot S & D - unnecessary if using Avast? Slowing system?  (Read 31707 times)

Offline Bosco123456

Re: Spybot S & D - unnecessary if using Avast? Slowing system?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2010, 01:09:27 AM »
 bo.elam - "Bosco123456 I have not used Spybot for a long time but I remember that
when Tea timer was running it showed a icon next to the clock.
I think it was not on real time by default but you had to enable it by opening
the expert/settings ? area."

Correct about using "Advanced Mode"/"Tools"/"Resident" to access it. In the newest version, no clock and no icon.
I have it unchecked, yet the text says "Active".

Gopher John - "I'm not familiar with Download Blocker.  It is not a part of SpyBot Search & Destroy."

Perhaps I used the wrong name, but it's the other "Resident" program besides "Tea Timer", labeled: "SD Helper" "Internet Explorer bad download blocker".

MikeBCda - "I always get the offline-installer version..."

Offline? No comprendo. From a CD?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 01:18:30 AM by Bosco123456 »

Dch48

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2010, 01:26:47 AM »
I totally agree with the use of the free MBAM as your fallback malware remover. It just plain works. I also have SAS but very rarely run it and when I do, it never finds anything but tracking cookies which I constantly get rid of by using CCleaner anyway. SAS does have some nice recovery tools included with it though if you would ever need them. They're part of the free package too.

Offline Bosco123456

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2010, 02:17:25 AM »
Dch48 - "SAS does have some nice recovery tools included with it though if you would ever need them. They're part of the free package too."

Due to this comment and others in this thread, will reinstall it as a "just in case".

Daris

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2010, 05:31:46 PM »
I have tried A Squared... fit to be squared... It Is a Big Program and heavy....I Thought it really slowed my comp down...   All 4 Spybot, MBAM, and SuperAntiSpyware and Avast . all together are smaller than A squared....And all are more accurate...I Use Spybot disabled in the Tools  Tea Timer... and bad site blocker ..Unchecked....Than they don't show up in your task manager....or auto start ...I Just Immunize my default settings with Spybot and keep it basically off  ...I also Use Spywareblaster Immunized, which works awesome with Avast...I Update Spybot once a week and do a scan for Tracking cookies and it is the ONLY software that Cleans your Log files and windows files and settings and Tracking cookies, System Internals Scan, basically cleans your computer of junk like none of the others do... plus it has so many options for repairing your computer checking different configurations.. can go on  and on....Ohh and all for free...I still have't found one other software that checks System Internals and Log files... the Only problem I have with Spybot is it takes forever to Load..Other than that you can set it to basicaly be INVISIBLE if you want....Well this is just my Opinion....Luck

Dch48

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2010, 07:14:38 PM »
I have tried A Squared... fit to be squared... It Is a Big Program and heavy....I Thought it really slowed my comp down...   All 4 Spybot, MBAM, and SuperAntiSpyware and Avast . all together are smaller than A squared....And all are more accurate...I Use Spybot disabled in the Tools  Tea Timer... and bad site blocker ..Unchecked....Than they don't show up in your task manager....or auto start ...I Just Immunize my default settings with Spybot and keep it basically off  ...I also Use Spywareblaster Immunized, which works awesome with Avast...I Update Spybot once a week and do a scan for Tracking cookies and it is the ONLY software that Cleans your Log files and windows files and settings and Tracking cookies, System Internals Scan, basically cleans your computer of junk like none of the others do... plus it has so many options for repairing your computer checking different configurations.. can go on  and on....Ohh and all for free...I still have't found one other software that checks System Internals and Log files... the Only problem I have with Spybot is it takes forever to Load..Other than that you can set it to basicaly be INVISIBLE if you want....Well this is just my Opinion....Luck
CCleaner removes tracking cookies as well. It will remove all cookies if you let it. I choose to retain some that log me in to certain websites but all the rest get deleted by CCleaner. I only allow cookies for certain sites that tell me I have to to get full functionality. CCleaner also takes care of log files, old prefetch entries, and the list goes on and on.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2010, 10:31:53 PM »
MikeBCda - "I always get the offline-installer version..."

Offline? No comprendo. From a CD?
If you go to the download page, you'll see both online (very small) and offline (maybe 35 MB) versions of the installer.  The online version requires you to stay connected to the internet while it downloads and installs the rest of the package, which takes forever, while the offline version includes everything you need so you don't have to stay online.  Download time's no big deal with a good connection (they've got good servers), and actual installation takes quite a bit longer, so you might as well do the latter offline.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2010, 11:19:54 PM »
I Update Spybot once a week and do a scan for Tracking cookies and it is the ONLY software that Cleans your Log files and windows files and settings and Tracking cookies, System Internals Scan, basically cleans your computer of junk like none of the others do...

Sorry, but you're wrong...! ;)
Anyway, which version of avast are you using..??
asyn
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 11:21:43 PM by Asyn »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Eric March

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 08:46:57 AM »
Hello!

An interesting thread. But for all, I so often heard one rule, “Do not run a second shield beside an other!”. TeaTimer especially is such a shield.  And further more, some tests I read described SpyBot (and AdAware) to have less abilities then real shield (suites) like Avast! (or Avira, AVG - to mention just FreeWare versions).

So I can not recommend to use such tools, and run any resident shield, including MBAM, beside your standard ›scanner‹ (shiled). But to additional tests, MBAM is welcome.

Eric March

PS: I feel well. So I do not like to see a doctor much often (o.k., dentist, for each half year check up). My PC either does…

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 10:46:33 AM »
But for all, I so often heard one rule, “Do not run a second shield beside an other!”. TeaTimer especially is such a shield.  And further more, some tests I read described SpyBot (and AdAware) to have less abilities then real shield (suites) like Avast! (or Avira, AVG - to mention just FreeWare versions).

TeaTimer is indeed resident protection, but I think it doesn't scan files... it scans only executed binaries and certain registry keys.
I have run TeaTimer with avast! and Norton (and Windows Defender) for years but it never conflicts with them.

P.S.
I don't mean avast is not good nor Spybot is superior... just want to say Spybot is not so conflicting software.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 12:07:09 PM by NON »
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

Dch48

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2010, 09:09:15 PM »

PS: I feel well. So I do not like to see a doctor much often (o.k., dentist, for each half year check up). My PC either does…
I stopped going to one doctor after I noticed that the skeleton on display in his examining room was put together wrong.