Author Topic: Can I reinstall AVAST 4.8 please?  (Read 38656 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Can I reinstall AVAST 4.8 please?
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2010, 06:08:56 PM »
The bad news is...

I'm going to have to find and start teaching a new Firewall the way I operate my PC!

That's indeed good news, as you will hopefully have no more problems after that...! ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Graphicool

« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2010, 06:25:19 PM »
I guess it's all down to what Firewall I eventually choose. But I'll start with the devil I know 'Comodo'. Because if, as you say Asyn, you are using it, it must be ok.

A big thank you to everyone who's taken part in this journey. ¦¬] Especially to those who got it right.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2010, 06:37:09 PM »
You're welcome..!
Please report back your results...
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2010, 07:09:09 PM »
Not that I would encourage you running a firewall that can not deal with 3rd party services, but you can check the "Interact with the desktop" flag in the services panel for the avast antivirus, avast web scanner and avast mail scanner service.

Graphicool

« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2010, 10:15:44 AM »
Hi lukor

Had you have mentioned it before I'd uninstalled Ashampoo I would have probably given it a try. But now that the deed has been done and whatever I use will have to be trained! I think I'll take asyn's recommendation and give Comodo another chance. If that proves to try my patience a 'what do you want to do' too far, I'll have a look at PCTools. If all else fails, I may give your suggestion a go. Either way I'll let you know how I get on, as I believe feed back to be invaluable. Who know's it might help someone else.

Cheers again guy's, I really wouldn't have wanted to lose AVAST, in my humble opinion and to whom it may concern...

AVAST ANTI VIRUS

IS THE BEST ANTI VIRUS SOFTWARE ON THE INTERNET

LONG MAY IT RIEGN

¦¬]

Graphicool

« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2010, 03:03:16 PM »
Update...

Downloaded and installed Comodo Aargh! It went ballistic. If anything it is worse than it was before!!! It was opening and stacking pop-up's so fast, on top of each other that I was unable to answer any request. Everytime I tried to tick a box or ask for further info, yet another pop-up appeared under my cursor, blocking the previous one! This was more than madness, it was complete and utter insanity!!! These were ALL software program's and hardware neccessities that were all being blocked too fast for me to resolve. The last straw or perhaps I should say the thing that made me pull myself together and be proactive. Was when it decided to block/shutdown my Internet wireless connection. I tried to get Windows to step up to the mark and repair it. It said there was nothing it could do and advised me to contact Belkin.

Then a glimmer of hope floated before my eye's. A pop-up, separated itself from the rest, giving me - or so I thought - a chance to respond in a more positive way. Than just sitting there with my mouth agape, helpless and hapless! It was asking me for my wireless password, so it could allow the connection to go ahead. Gleefully throwing caution to the wind, I typed in my password and clicked enter. As I did I felt the worries of the world being lifted from my shoulders. Only to come crashing back down, as almost immeadiately the message came back 'Not Accepted'.

I'm beginning to think Comodo has got some sort of vendetta against me!? I've uninstalled it and was immeadiately back on line and in control of of my PC and my life.

I shall now give PCTools a go. I'll let you know my findings.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2010, 03:43:06 PM »
You can disable Defense+ for a while until you get used to.
Or, better, you can set and use the "Clean PC Mode" or "Training Mode".
The best things in life are free.

Graphicool

« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2010, 03:49:35 PM »
Hi Tech

Are these tips in regard to PCTools?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2010, 04:06:21 PM »
Hi Tech

Are these tips in regard to PCTools?
No, they're related to Comodo Internet Security (and its Defense+).
The best things in life are free.

Graphicool

« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2010, 04:17:15 PM »
Thanks for that Tech, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I venture down that road again. I've just installed PCTools Firewall. It's like chalk and cheese. Calm, sedate and orderly. this is the way I would call it. Absolutely no urgent, in your face, paranoia! It's just like Ashampoo before the Avast update. If it carries on like this, I'll be more than happy, fingers crossed.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2010, 05:06:01 PM »
Thanks for that Tech, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I venture down that road again. I've just installed PCTools Firewall. It's like chalk and cheese. Calm, sedate and orderly. this is the way I would call it. Absolutely no urgent, in your face, paranoia! It's just like Ashampoo before the Avast update. If it carries on like this, I'll be more than happy, fingers crossed.

Well, good you are running smooth now with PCT fw...!
To add to you comodo experience, I guess you didn't select firewall only on installing...!
asyn

Graphicool

« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2010, 05:32:01 PM »
Hi Asyn

I'd have been dissapointed not to have had your input at the end of this!

"I guess you didn't select firewall only on installing"

Well you guessed wrong, because as a matter of fact i did. It would seem though according to what Tech and others have said since the ordeal, I should have had it on 'Training Mode'. Had I have known about it in time I would have given it a go. Still, all's well that has hopefully ended well, if indeed it is the end? Time will tell.
¦¬]

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2010, 05:49:02 PM »
Well, I'm happy that all is running fine now, sorry about your bad experience with comodo, though..!
Nevertheless PCTools FW is a good software, that usually runs smooth...
If you need help again, feel free to return here to ask.
Have a nice day,
asyn