Author Topic: Can I reinstall AVAST 4.8 please?  (Read 38654 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Can I reinstall AVAST 4.8 please?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 03:58:27 PM »
The firewall is set up in such a way that when a new program is installed it always asks if it should be blocked or allowed. I told it to 'allow' then - when it couldn't connect - I checked to make sure. It was/is allowed. But even so, I now know catagorically that it can't be anything to do with any of my protection ware, for the reason I say above.

I believe it is... however, we've seen it a number of times anyway. The theory is that:
- the corresponding avast! module changes when avast! is updated
- the firewall detects the change - and would like to ask about what to do, but it happens too soon during the boot process, so it's not able to ask
--> it just blocks the connection
What usually helps is to delete the corresponding rules from the firewall, and let them be re-created again.

avast! doesn't do anything special when trying to update... it simply asks Windows to connect to the particular site. So, either there's no network connection, or the domain isn't resolved correctly (shouldn't be the case, because half of the update servers on the list are in IP format), or a firewall is blocking the connection...

Graphicool

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 04:11:35 PM »
Then how do you explain this...

"even when I tried turning off all three of the other protection ware, AVAST still wasn't firing on all cylinders and still couldn't connect to the internet?"

Graphicool

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 04:20:42 PM »
Hi igor

I see where you're coming from. What if I were to turn off the Firewall and then install AVAST. When I turn the firewall on again and it sees AVAST it will ask me if it should block or not? But before I do that I'll dete any reference to AVAST in firewall?

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 04:22:29 PM »
Then how do you explain this...

"even when I tried turning off all three of the other protection ware, AVAST still wasn't firing on all cylinders and still couldn't connect to the internet?"

Read http://support.mozilla.com/en-us/kb/firewalls.  Download EnumProcess.exe from http://www.trolly.homepage.t-online.de/EnumProcess.exe.  Run it after turning off all three of the other protection sofware.  It should be quite enlightening. ;D
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 06:09:31 PM »
I would suggest the old firewall test -- try to stop all shields, and then manually stop avast antivirus service (verify that avastsvc.exe is not running). Then remove all traces of avast processes from the firewall. Then restart the service, e.g. by clicking the "Fix now" button. During startup, the firewall, if it is configured so, should popup and notify you about this new program (did it already done that?) It should ask you to allow avastsvc.exe to open some ports for listening (the Mail Shield and Web Shield proxy servers are running inside this process) and also for outgoing traffic (this service is also connecting to the web for updates). Other popups you should see if the firewall is doing its job correctly is one for the process "avast.setup" and one for "avastui.exe" - both for outgoing traffic.

L.

Graphicool

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2010, 02:44:38 PM »
Hi lukor

I Turned off AVAST as per your suggestions. Then I looked into 'Task Manager' and 'avastsvc.exe' is still running. Task Manager won't allow me to turn it off. any suggestions how I can do this?

Graphicool

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2010, 02:59:04 PM »
Hi Gopher John

In view of your links, what if I were to...
Uninstall AVAST
Uninstall Ashampoo Firewall
Install AVAST and see if it runs OK or not?
If both it and my PC do.
I could then reinstall Ashampoo Firewall.
OR
Would it be possible and may be easier, for me to do a 'System Restore' to before I uninstalled Avast 4.8 and update to 5?

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2010, 03:23:18 PM »
Hi Gopher John

Uninstall AVAST
If both it and my PC do.
I could then reinstall Ashampoo Firewall.
OR
Would it be possible and may be easier, for me to do a 'System Restore' to before I uninstalled Avast 4.8 and update to 5?

Like others in this thread, I think that a firewall is blocking Avast from updating.  Please do as I suggested with EnumProcess and post the results here.

If EnumProcess shows that Ashampoo Firewall is the only thing that could block Avast connecting to the internet, there should be a way in it's interface to remove Avast's entries.  When Avast attempts to connect, Ashampoo should ask you to allow it.  Do so.

If this works you may avoid having to uninstall/reinstall your software.  A system restore at this time may well make things worse.
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Graphicool

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2010, 03:41:03 PM »
Hi Gopher John

"there should be a way in it's interface to remove Avast's entries."
There is, I can and have removed Avast's entries in Ashampoo Firewall.

"When Avast attempts to connect, Ashampoo should ask you to allow it.  Do so."
It does and I do.

On it's latest attempt to connect, the following was Avast's Error message:

'Cannot connect to download***.avast.com(**.***.***.**:80)'

The asterix are numbers, but as they change each time it tries, I don't think they are relevent. 80 is the Port number and is constant.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2010, 03:52:50 PM »
Uninstall AVAST

Do exactly this..!! ;)
Not more, not less...
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2010, 03:58:27 PM »
Hi Gopher John

"there should be a way in it's interface to remove Avast's entries."
There is, I can and have removed Avast's entries in Ashampoo Firewall.

"When Avast attempts to connect, Ashampoo should ask you to allow it.  Do so."
It does and I do.

On it's latest attempt to connect, the following was Avast's Error message:

'Cannot connect to download***.avast.com(**.***.***.**:80)'

The asterix are numbers, but as they change each time it tries, I don't think they are relevent. 80 is the Port number and is constant.

The numbers represented by ** aren't relevant.  Something besides AShampoo may be blocking access.  EnumProcess may show what it is.

Graphicool

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2010, 04:33:12 PM »
Gopher John

This is what 'enum' says...

'firewall process from PCSecurityShield/BitGuard Personal Firewall detected'

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2010, 05:07:16 PM »
Gopher John

This is what 'enum' says...

'firewall process from PCSecurityShield/BitGuard Personal Firewall detected'

That is likely what is blocking Avast.  Can you remove it via Add/Remove Programs?  In googling, I'm not sure whether you have a legitimate program or a fake malware.  At any rate, running two firewalls or antivirus resident is asking for trouble, as you've found out now.  It may appear to work for a while, but at a minimum you wind up with less protection.

Is that all that EnumProcess found?  See http://www.trolly.homepage.t-online.de/tools.html
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 05:11:56 PM by Gopher John »

Graphicool

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2010, 05:24:27 PM »
It doesn't show in the 'Add Remove' list. Even 'Agent Ransack' couldn't find any instance of it on my PC. Prior to finding Avast I tried a selection of Free protection software, but even so, I don't recall ever trying this.

"Is that all that EnumProcess found?" - 'Yes'

Graphicool

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2010, 05:27:35 PM »
Further to my last posting, why didn't enum see Ashampoo Firewall?