Author Topic: Can I reinstall AVAST 4.8 please?  (Read 38649 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Can I reinstall AVAST 4.8 please?
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2010, 11:23:03 AM »
Uninstall Ashampoo firewall and see results.

+1
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Graphicool

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2010, 12:15:50 PM »
My PC is WinXP Home SP3

Gopher John & lukor
I have now placed 'AvastSvc.exe' into the Firewall 'Full Access'
It makes no difference.

Hi budema nice to see new input
Regarding your suggestions
I've tried all three proxy's, to no avail. At the moment it's set at 'No Proxy'
I also ran the 'Change Installed Components' If anyones interested,
The log file will follow...

Graphicool

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2010, 12:17:12 PM »
...To continue...

DavidR Are you referring to lukor, if so thanks for the heads up. However, I feel I should try to answer others as well.

Tech
"Check your Hosts file (or even replace it with HostsMan tool) and see if it's ok."
I have downloaded and installed this software. but am a little disconcerted regarding a warning within the program, from the guy who built it...
"!These hosts files are not maintained by 'abelhadigital.com. Remember to edit your exclusion list accordingly!"
Also I am concerned as to any knock on effect that might occur from using such a program. For even though I discribe myself as a 'Freeware Junkie' I am cautious and like to know what I am getting and maybe getting into? That said I would need guidance as to how to set it up. It talks about disabling hosts.
So before I take that route, can you tell me where I should look for my Host's File and how I would know if it is OK or not?
Now you say..."Can you ping files.avast.com ?" Possibly, if I have some idea what you were/are talking about. I'm not an idiot but then again I'm not a programmer either.

Hi lukor sorry to keep you waiting, especially in view of my recent discovery as to your position in all this. Anyhow I'm responding to your last posting...
As you've probably already read above I have now placed 'AvastSvc.exe' into the Ashampoo firewall Full Access file.
Also as I have said above, but will reiterate, my system is...
WinXP Home SP3
I haven't got HijackThis, but I will download it. Been there done that. Did a system scan, coudn't/can't see any reference to this...
'LSP network extensions' or 'Local Service Provider Net Ext' or anything like it, at least it doesn't jump out at me?

NON & Asyn
This was my intention yesterday. However, many other suggestion began popping up on the horizon and I felt I should give them a try first. The reason I don't want to uninstall Ashampoo Firewall, is because like all of these protection programs they have to learn the way you work. It takes time and a certain amount of patience from the user and this user doesn't have a lot of that. As it is I don't know how/why I have hung in here so long? It says a lot for Avast, that I feel I should give it my best shot. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2010, 01:40:45 PM »
Graphicool, you can open your hosts file, copy & paste the contents here before doing anything else:
Check the contents of the file at the location for your operating system.

Windows 98 - C:\windows
Windows Me - C:\windows
Windows 2000 - C:windows\system32\drivers\etc
Windows XP - C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
Windows NT - C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc
Windows Vista - C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

Note the file does not have an extension, it's simply hosts

The file can be viewed with notepad.

The default file consists of a number of example lines preceded with # The only required line is
127.0.0.1       localhost
The best things in life are free.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2010, 02:00:35 PM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Graphicool

« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2010, 02:11:25 PM »
lukor
I did what you suggested in your second from last post...
Regarding turning off Avast and ending processes in Task Manager.

Then, as instructed I clicked the 'AvastUI.exe' in the AVAST folder.
My Firewall asked...Allow or Block...I clicked 'Make rule Full Access'

I then entered Avast clicked on 'FIX NOW'
It said my system is fully protected. Although it still can't update virus definitions.

I looked in Firewall, the only listing for AVAST is AvastUI.exe Full Access     

Graphicool

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2010, 02:15:17 PM »
I have to say this once again, as I don't recall getting a direct answer last time...

If this is the fault of the Firewall, then why did AVAST 4.8 run perfectly well? Could it be because it was already installed and running, before I installed Ashampoo Firewall???

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2010, 02:45:07 PM »
I have to say this once again, as I don't recall getting a direct answer last time...

If this is the fault of the Firewall, then why did AVAST 4.8 run perfectly well? Could it be because it was already installed and running, before I installed Ashampoo Firewall???

It's the fault (or specs ::)) of the Firewall. See the link Asyn showed...

Avast5 has different system from avast4, so there is no guaranty that avast5 runs well on the same computer, which avast4 runs well.
Even minor version-ups solve (or cause) compatibility problem, much less major ones?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 02:52:54 PM by NON »
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2010, 02:55:23 PM »
Hi, would mind sending the list of LSP extensions? (as described above)  Maybe the Ashampoo firewall itself is implemented as LSP DLL.

Graphicool

« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2010, 04:30:45 PM »
TECH

This is what it says...

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2010, 04:32:26 PM »
TECH
This is what it says...

Your hosts file is ok..!
asyn

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2010, 04:43:11 PM »
Your hosts file is ok..!
Already answered by Asyn.
I'm empty to guess which is blocking your access to avast servers.
The best things in life are free.

Graphicool

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2010, 04:45:19 PM »
Asyn

I just clicked your link...

"In case of Ashampoo, it's not enough to turn it off. It still stays loaded and blocks access.

There's a known bug in Ashampoo that prevents the popups from being displayed for services that don't have the "Interact with desktop" flag set (such as the avast service)"

If this is common knowledge among the AVAST team, then why don't they just set the 'Interact With Desktop' flag?

Following the above statement by Vlk is a post by SmartGuy in which he says...

"Before using ashampoo, i had this problem.... that time i used Comodo's free edition firewall.... i thought maybe comodo blocked avast that why i changed it to ashampoo but the problem still exist"

To my way of thinking this would mean that Comodo too blocks Avast. If this is indeed the case then how come I was told to change my Ashampoo Firewall for Comodo. By none other than...YOU ASYN...

"I would pick this option...
Use PcTools, Comodo, etc. (search the forum for more free firewalls, running well with avast)
asyn"

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2010, 04:46:16 PM »
Already answered by Asyn.
I'm empty to guess which is blocking your access to avast servers.

Ashampoo is...!!
Read the link I posted above. (#64)
There's an answer from Vlk in it... ;)
asyn

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2010, 04:53:15 PM »
Asyn
I just clicked your link...
If this is indeed the case then how come I was told to change my Ashampoo Firewall for Comodo. By none other than...YOU ASYN...

Maybe they didn't know..!?? (I won't comment this further) ;)
So did you finally do so..??
asyn