Author Topic: 'aswSnx' causing system freeze?  (Read 9969 times)

500dan500

'aswSnx' causing system freeze?
« on: June 24, 2010, 09:08:44 PM »
Hey everyone,

Had a problem with my computer going into a cold lock (no display, not responding to input) and forced to reboot. I have noticed in the event viewer when it reports the system loses power there is an event log at the exact time from aswSnx, this is from the general tab in event viewer:

File System Filter 'aswSnx' (6.0, ‎2010‎-‎05‎-‎06T21:41:22.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.

Wondering if anyone else has had a issue like this or if the devs are aware of it?

EDIT: DxDiag attached for system specs and a screenshot of the event viewer
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 09:24:35 PM by 500dan500 »

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: 'aswSnx' causing system freeze?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 10:43:40 PM »
dan, are you using build 584?
Thanks.

500dan500

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 11:07:34 PM »
knew i'd forget something important like that.  ::)

i'm using 5.0.545 at the moment, i checked for updates and it said i'm using the most recent - is 584 a beta one?

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 11:10:24 PM »
yes, 584 is pre-release version, see: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=61045.0

500dan500

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 11:20:01 PM »
cool deal thanks pk, will try it out and see if it fixes it. :D

500dan500

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 03:42:04 AM »
hate to bump this, but looks like this is back after being fine for along time.

current avast ver. is 5.0.594 - just tried a program update but seems i'm upto date.

Zaphod0414

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 10:47:35 PM »
Wow,  I'm using program v.6.0.1203, and have just experienced a stop error (formerly known as the BSOD) caused by this component.  What's really odd is that I just dumped Avira a few weeks ago after years of use in favour of Avast due largely to the fact that Avira's counterpart to this very component started causing stop errors too.  I wonder if there is another hidden factor at play.  With both programs, the stop errors have only ever occurred while I was playing this one particular game.  I can't rule out that any other game might do the same, as I really haven't been playing any other games lately besides the one.  So it may be an interaction with all or certain games, resource intensive tasks in general, or a very specific interaction limited to only a small handful of conditions.

I suppose I should add that I'm not getting a stop error, per se - the system just reboots without getting to log an event.  I know that the aswSnx filesystem filter driver is to blame because EVERY time it happens the last event logged <1 sec before the shutdown is that aswSnx has loaded.  This is exactly the same behaviour that Avira's filesystem filter driver (name eludes me at the moment) began provoking, which I find entirely curious.  So far as I know the two programs don't share code, so I'm thinking that what's happening is they're just a catalyst that brings out a bug in something else perhaps.  That makes more sense to me than to assume two unrelated programming teams have each made the exact same obscure error, and that both are unable to correct it. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 11:01:49 PM by Zaphod0414 »

Zaphod0414

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 06:38:03 AM »
Hey - do you know what?  This behaviour is not being caused by aswSnx at all, and in my case Avira was not responsible either.  While it is easy to assume that aswSnx loads immediately prior to the lock/BSOD/reboot, as it's starting event appears immediately before the critical event stating that the previous shutdown was unexpected, in fact this is not the case.  I can't believe I didn't realize this right from the start, but the critical error mentioning the shutdown is logged AFTER the shutdown has already occured and the computer has been rebooted.  Durring this reboot, aswSnx (along with all other drivers, services, apps, etc) loads as well, and by coincidence alone it happens to log it's event right before the critical error we're all seeing.  If you're still not convinced, look at the vanilla (ie non-critical) error a few events earlier - it says the same thing as the critical error does, but also states the exact time of the shutdown, which occurs earlier than aswSnx's event.  I firmly do not believe aswSnx is at all related to the behaviour we're experiencing.