Author Topic: Avast Home Stops exe files  (Read 38853 times)

Max M.Wachtel III

Re:Avast Home Stops exe files
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2004, 03:17:50 AM »
here is a link to fix associations
http://www.xs4all.nl/~laar2002/tweak/file-association-fixes.html
hope it helps-max

Josh

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2004, 03:23:03 AM »
I've tried fixes for externsions, that doesn't seem to be the problem. I can run some exe files, especially ones that I've just downloaded, it seems to be the ones created with InstallShield. I'd say that it seems about 50% of the exe files on my computer are corrupted in some way.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2004, 03:25:42 AM »
Isn't this just a problem of the MSI?

Josh

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2004, 04:26:41 AM »
I tried to reinstall MSI and that didn't work either. I am, at this point, convinced that these exe files have been corrupted by avast.

I also believe that the company is writing off this major error and hasn't been very helpful to the several people that have reported it.

After two days of the aftermath of these corruptions I have found that the files are irreparable.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 01:29:56 AM by Josh »

eangulus

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2004, 02:58:35 PM »
Even if the issue IS SP2 MS does not garuntee updates to work with other software.

We have all heard the news regarding software companies out trying to make sure their software is SP2 ready.

So weather or not it is MS or Avast at fault the fact of the matter is it is Avast's responsibility to fix the dam thing.

Oh and to those that asked what builds I tested on: 2149 & 2162

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2004, 09:58:22 AM »
I don't believe the files could be corrupted by avast! - unless a virus is found (and when it is, you're clearly notified), all the files are manipulated in read-only mode. If you want to check, just download the files again (or copy the "corrupted files" somewhere else, where avast! is not installed and do a fresh download) and compare the content of the files.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2004, 10:22:33 AM »
Josh,
I also believe that the company is writing off this major error and hasn't been very helpful to the several people that have reported it.

Vlk has suggested to something to eangules, I can't find back here if eangules did it. So the help definatly was/is there.
The problem as some are facing here is not reproduceble by Avast or they would have solved it. I tried it here on 3 systems and no error at all. Evreything is working. So don't accuse Alwil of writing off a error. They NEVER do that.

eangules,

So weather or not it is MS or Avast at fault the fact of the matter is it is Avast's responsibility to fix the dam thing.
So if it is MS to blame you expect Alwil to fix the problems MS has? What kind of strange world are you living in. If a Ford breaks down, that means Toyota or any other car manufacturer has to fix it?

I have spoken with several Alfa and Beta testers for MS products and they all agree, Avast and sp2 are working together without problems.  I have two systems running for testing purposes, and there also no problem. Personally I am thinking that the few people who have this problem, also have something else in common. Could be drivers, a application, hardware or something like that, which is causing this behaviour. Since people speak of a clean install I am wondering how they did that exactly.
Put on a firewall before going online to get/install ALL
updates/patches?
Installed the first patches/updates from the update cd?
Installed all drivers including mobo drivers before installing anything else?
etc etc

Many people say they know how to install a os, but it has been proven that only a few know how to do it the correct way.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2004, 10:29:32 AM »
Calm down everyone, please.

Have you tried removing the two entries I was talking about?

We're not able to simulate the problem. I have avast loaded here on the latest build XP SP2 and I can run all 16-bit programs (both Win16 and DOS) without any problems... :-\
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2004, 10:35:51 AM »
Btw, I remember that long time ago, InstallShield had problems with something... I don't know what exactly it was (new version of Windows... fast CPUs... really don't know) - but a big number of InstallShield-created installations couldn't be started. Of course, it wasn't MSI at that time (though nobody said it's MSI here either, did they?)...
I'm not saying it has anything in common with this particular problem, just that the problem may actually be somewhere completely else that you'd expect ;)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2004, 10:38:04 AM »
Did anyone who has this problem already looked in the system and event log? There may be a lot of errors there telling more about the real problem.

bilemke

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2004, 12:35:20 PM »
There would appear to be some bug between Avast and Windows XP SP2. I have this problem with InstallShield installers 2.x and 3.x only after installing Avast in SP2. Before installing Avast they work fine and if I run the same installer with the exact version of Avast in SP1 they work fine.

Some info:

Fresh install tested both SP1 and SP2
SP2 is latest public (2149), did not get to testing prior builds.
No event log evens suggesting anything.

Related post with relevant info.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=3282

If I disable avast from sys tray all togehter, still does not allow execution. If I disable the 16-bit/DOS component of avast in config.nt, the insaller will work fine. I happen to be trying to install a relatively updated program whos auther apparently doesnt use a very new version of InstallShield. I can reproduce it with many InstallShield 2.x and 3.x installers. One for testing can be downloaded from:

Website
http://www.runtime.org/

File URL:
http://www.runtime.org/gdb.zip

Took a bit of digging but I was about to go insane trying to install some programs. Temporary fix of course is to remark the avast component out of config.nt and then add it back after install. Can someone please look at this. I was all excited about Windows XP SP2 until this came up. From my understanding some isntallers are a bit flakey in SP2 because of new MSI installer service but this should not be related.

Thanks

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2004, 12:47:36 PM »
Remove the reference to the avast sys file from \windows\system32\config.nt . This will solve the problem.

Also, please export the following registry key and send the .reg file to my email address: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers.

Thanks
Vlk
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 12:48:55 PM by Vlk »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2004, 03:36:24 PM »
Hi. I have one more simple question. What did you guys install first? Avast, or SP2?

Thanks,
Vlk

bilemke

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2004, 09:18:16 PM »
Thank you vlk for the help... I used a slipstreamed install of SP2 to install windows, then immeadietly (atleast on my test install) installed Avast on first reboot.

There is nothing in the VDD registry entry on either of my computers I have tried this on.

Also, I noticed this thread was started in reference to Avast Home, it indeed happens with both home and pro.

From my experience with installers in SP2 it would appear something isnt happening correctly on a fresh install of Avast in SP2. Notice earlier in this thread the reference to using system restore and then reinstalling Avast. I have some time on a spare machine today so I will try to run a installer tracking program to see what is difference when initially installing avast vs installing a 2nd time after a system restore.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 09:18:35 PM by bilemke »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2004, 12:08:45 AM »
From my experience with installers in SP2 it would appear something...

Sure, at that key (and related HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers or 002, 003) you should have an avast driver (aswMonVd.dll)  :'(
The best things in life are free.