Author Topic: Avast Home Stops exe files  (Read 38860 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Avast Home Stops exe files
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2004, 12:40:53 AM »
There is nothing in the VDD registry entry on either of my computers I have tried this on.

I'm afraid this is not true. It seems to be that the SP2 installer somehow screws this key. Just do the export and see the reg file. I'd bet my hat that the entry won't be empty... (although regedit sees it as empty)

We're now making avast installer immune to this but I guess we should also notify MS about this...

Cheers,
Vlk
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 12:41:26 AM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2004, 04:13:59 AM »
We're now making avast installer immune to this but I guess we should also notify MS about this...

Vlk, I'm not sure this is related but some time ago, the avast driver entry repeats indefinitely here, line after line... It was discussed before without a solution or, better, right now I don't have this repetition (maybe it was solved  ::)). Hope this help.
The best things in life are free.

bilemke

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2004, 05:47:20 AM »
Hmm.. nope.. not under currentcontrolset or controlset001 or otherwise.. I will manually add it to my machine when I get home and give it a try again. Note, avast's repair fuction did not solve this either (missing registry entry).

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2004, 08:31:31 AM »
Hmm.. nope..

So you did the export and the entry was empty??
Or what 'nope'? :)

bilemke

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2004, 08:58:46 AM »
Yeah...

The registry was completely empty. I manually added the path to aswMonVD.dll to the VDD key and now I can run old install shield setups without removing the 16 bit mon from config.nt.

Strange, I was looking in to some friends machines who use avast home and were trying SP2 build 2149 also. about 4 of 6 machines had the problem, 2 didnt and had the registry key properly. One of the two had aswMonVD.dll listed twice as mentioned earlier in another thread.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2004, 09:14:09 AM »
The registry was completely empty.

I guess you don't understand what I said: my proposal was not to check the key by looking at it in RegEdit but rather export it to reg file and inspecting the file.

What I was saying is that even though regedit shows the key as empty, it is in fact not. It contains invalid data. And that's what's causing the problems.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2004, 01:52:02 PM »
It contains invalid data. And that's what's causing the problems.

This happened before with NAV... Adding two groups of zeros (00,00) and everything after that was corrupted (disappear)  :o

eangulus

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2004, 03:15:36 PM »
OK. I am now 100% certain it isn't just me. I have now tried on a 3rd system and same thing happens.

To explain in detail so to allow someone to replicate the problem.

First of you have to have a system with clean install or at least NEVER ever had Avast on it even if uninstalled.

Then you install SP2 (i run XP pro btw)
Reboot as per nessacery.
Now create a restore point and name it Pre Avast. This step is not what I had done before but will allow you to get working again.
Now install Avast. Reboot.
Now try and run what I think are Installshield created .exe files. The 3 I tried was the Win32 MySQL setup program (latest version), Canon A40 Drivers, and PixelVeiw TV Software. All so far are Installshield apps.

When you double click you will see avast scan it before running. then nothing at all happens. no setup no errors nothing at all.

Now to get working again you must follow these steps. Uninstall and reinstall won't work.

Use System Restore to go back to Pre Avast but Post SP2. You will notice the above applications are working again. Then Re install avast and reboot. You will now notice that everyhting is working as per normal now. Avat installed and all exe files running.

This is the issue I have had with the past 5 reinstalls on my main machine plus 2 friends computers. Can't remember what builds of SP2 I used but I did mention them earlier in this thread.

eangulus

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2004, 12:24:19 PM »
Isn't anyone going to try to emulate this issue or as I am seeing more often amongst these forums that Avast seems to ignore its customers.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2004, 02:20:15 AM »
eangulus
Isn't anyone going to try to emulate this issue or as I am seeing more often amongst these forums that Avast seems to ignore its customers.
I'm one of those customers and I think that remark was totally uncalled for.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

bilemke

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2004, 12:43:37 AM »
I dont need to emulate it, there is a problem with sp2. The avast setup fails to create the entry in the VDD key at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDevicesDrivers every time I try it..

Fresh install of SP1 updated to SP2, then instlall Avast.. Fails

Frest slipstreamed install of even SP2 final, then install Avast.. Fails

I have to manually add the entry pointing towards "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswMonVD.dll" every time. Then it works fine as usual.

A note to Vlk and Technical (not sure since I dont know what OS version the guy is running, but) you may want to check this thread out. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=6600;start=msg51300#msg51300

Might be related.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 12:44:08 AM by bilemke »

norxh

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2004, 02:22:59 AM »
bilemke are you sure you have sp2 final? When I do a clean slipstreamed sp2 install, then install Avast 4.1.418, it created the registry entry properly and everything works as expected.

bilemke

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2004, 04:02:00 AM »
yup.. sp2 final.. Downloaded it last friday or saturday if I remember correctly.. Anyway, it is build 2180 and the signed version of the file at that, not the one that was unsigned.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 04:03:24 AM by bilemke »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2004, 04:27:39 AM »
Bilemke, did you install Norton antivirus before in this system?
I think not, but... Are you using a new installation of Windows (clean)?

The VDD key should be there even without avast  ::)

bilemke

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2004, 08:31:02 PM »
@Techincal..

1. Yes, clean install.. Nothing installed after a frest install of Windows SP2 before installing Avast. I hate Norton Products.. messy installer/remover.

2. Yes, to clarify, the vdd key is there and blank before and after Avast install.