Author Topic: I'm worried about when I upgrade to Avast 5  (Read 24536 times)

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: I'm worried about when I upgrade to Avast 5
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2010, 01:26:54 AM »
rob24

spybotsandra has responded to your post in the spybot forum this morning.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline rob24

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2010, 02:17:27 AM »
rob24

spybotsandra has responded to your post in the spybot forum this morning.

Thank you - didn't realise - I didn't have the notifications on!

They didn't see why Spybot was the issue after installing Avast 5. If any part 'would conflict', I have done what they suggested by turning off the Resident protection.

On restarting it made almost no difference, but on another restart it was ok again, no hang  ::). So not quite sure how that is has compromised matters, but have asked.
Intel Core i5 CPU 4 x 3200 Mhz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.6 free, Superantispyware.
Samsung S3 mobile with Avast Mobile Pro and on Lenovo tablet.

Rick F

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2010, 05:26:34 AM »

rob24

Thank you - didn't realise - I didn't have the notifications on!

They didn't see why Spybot was the issue after installing Avast 5. If any part 'would conflict', I have done what they suggested by turning off the Resident protection.

On restarting it made almost no difference, but on another restart it was ok again, no hang  ::). So not quite sure how that is has compromised matters, but have asked.

Hmmm?  So in SpyBot you unticked "Resident" and maybe "System Startup"?  I didn't really think that would make any difference, but I'll have to try that to see if it makes any difference.

BTW, the thread for the SpyBot question is below where SpybotSandra suggested to...

If some parts would conflict, just those parts could be disabled.

That's the way to to disable the resident feature of Spybot - Search & Destroy: run Spybot-S&D, switch to the "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" --> hit "YES" --> select "Tools" in the navigation bar on the left --> "Resident" and there you can untick the checkboxes in front of the two tools.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=58235&highlight=avast

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2010, 09:15:35 AM »
This thread might be interesting... ;)
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=61077.0
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline rob24

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2010, 02:13:28 PM »
This thread might be interesting... ;)
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=61077.0
asyn

Hmm the weight of evidence is growing against Spybot. I've asked SpybotSandra on their forums again as she thought I had 2 AV's going at once + MBAM if doing as she suggested is compromising protection.
Intel Core i5 CPU 4 x 3200 Mhz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.6 free, Superantispyware.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2010, 03:18:39 PM »
Hmm the weight of evidence is growing against Spybot. I've asked SpybotSandra on their forums again as she thought I had 2 AV's going at once + MBAM if doing as she suggested is compromising protection.

Why not just uninstalling Spybot and see what happens..!??
If you're not satisfied, you can still reinstall it again...
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2010, 04:32:25 PM »

Why not just uninstalling Spybot and see what happens..!??
If you're not satisfied, you can still reinstall it again...
asyn

Before uninstalling SpyBot Search & Destroy, have it remove the immunizations that it has added.  If all resident modules have been set to not load, then the immunizations are the only thing that could be interfering with anything.

I am fully immunized, and am experiencing absolutely no problems at all with Avast Free.  SpyBot's TeaTimer module, which I do not use, can bork installs if the user responds to questions about system changes that the install requires incorrectly, disallowing the required changes.

AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline rob24

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2010, 05:12:51 PM »
Well this is wierd. I don't remember even looking at the Immunize part of Spybot before, but I did a few minutes ago and up popped a warning about a Browser being open (which it was). So I clicked OK and it Immunized. THen I repeatd it with no browser. Then I undid it and restarted Windows and dammit the start was hanging again. Then something said to me restart again, as when I switched of SD Helper yesterday and restarted it initially made no difference but did on a repeat restart - and today it has as well.

I'm confused  ???

Rick F

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2010, 06:08:14 PM »
In SpyBot S+D I switched off (unticked) "Resident" and "System Startup" from being checked.  It seems this does make a difference on booting up. At least the icons show up almost immediately.

I've never used 'Tea Timer' so I know that's not a problem.

I may... repeat may.. uninstall SpyBot in the future, but I still like using the 'immunize' function.  I'll see how it goes for awhile.  I use the MVPS hosts file so I have the hosts check unticked under immunize.

MalwareBytes IS far superior and I use that (on demand only), as is SAS (SuperAntiSpyware).

<< Edit >>

Went ahead and uninstalled SpyBot.  I tried undoing Immunize and SpyBot undid the protection.  Then tried to immunize again.  It kept hanging.  Rebooted... it hung again.

So bye bye Spybot .  :'( ::)

« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 06:29:45 PM by Rick F »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2010, 07:28:57 PM »
So bye bye Spybot .  :'( ::)

Finally...! ;)
Good choice, believe me - you'll never miss it..!
asyn