Author Topic: You can lead a horse to the water, but you cannot make it use NoScript..  (Read 56753 times)

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
I just updated my Firefox Minefield to Firefox 4 Beta2pre and NoScript has become incompatible

Maybe I have to wait for an update :'(

Wasn't there a special extension that Polonus mentioned which allows you to force those extensions to run even if they claim to be incompatible ? I forgot the name though.

Yes, the Nightly Tester Tool is also incompatible

Maybe there are reason why all addons are incompatible

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
I just updated my Firefox Minefield to Firefox 4 Beta2pre and NoScript has become incompatible

Maybe I have to wait for an update :'(

There's a workaround for that.
But if you're into betatesting, you might know that already...
If not, search in Mozilla forum..!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
Not to mention i don't use FF nor will i ever use it.  

So, why do you still post in this topic, then..??
You made your point and stated your opinion.
The only reason left would be to drive off others from FF or NS....
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Hard_ROCKER

Because you keep replying to me maybe ??

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot

I see. So I will stop this then... ;)
No questions, no answers.
Let's see what happens...
asyn

Gargamel360

If all you wanted was the last word all along, I never would have bothered to reply to begin with.........
If someone else comes along, ok, till then........... :-X

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
You can lead a horse to the water, but you cannot make it use NoScript..
Unfortunately trying to force someone to do anything usually has bad consequences.
That includes trying to force someone to use something they aren't comfortable with.
It leads to rebellion which seems to have happened here.
Is no script a good tool ??? Certainly.  Can you survive without it ??? Most likely. Provided that when you get burned,
you've made sure you have a way to recover your system.
Peace!

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Hard_ROCKER

Thanks Bob another good point/post from you as i've gotten used to by now.

@Asyn: OK that's a deal ! ;D

And btw i have nothing against FF and NS users. If you read my first post you will see why i posted in the first place. And i also have nothing against Damian, cause he is a wonderfull person and friend, i've known the guy for 6 yrs now and i can honestly say i have nothing but respect for the guy, it's just that he gets IMHO carried away with the paranoia from time to time. Peace fellow avasters !

Cheers !

Miha

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
Unfortunately trying to force someone to do anything usually has bad consequences.
That includes trying to force someone to use something they aren't comfortable with.
It leads to rebellion which seems to have happened here.
Is no script a good tool ??? Certainly.  Can you survive without it ??? Most likely.

Hi Bob,
just to set this clear...
Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything here...!!
It's an open discussion related to Firefox and NoScript, nothing else.
So, there's also no need for a 'rebellion' or else...! ;)
Have a nive day,
asyn

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
@Asyn: OK that's a deal ! ;D

Hi Miha,
this reply is not about breaking the deal, that's just about confirming it...! ;D
Btw, just to make this clear, I respect every opinion of every user here...!
asyn

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Hi malware fighters,

Let us turn back to the topic of this thread and maybe all works better if I start to tell you a real life story. So there is that piece of obfuscated malware code that is wanting access to your browser. He wears dark glasses because he is obfuscated code and he has a weird knitted polo because they made him wear it with sixteen packers to go under any AV radar and online scanners, he feels mighty important because he was bought by cyber criminals and put online at a server somewhere in Malkodovia by a scriptkiddie that used a specific toolkit to do this. "Hello, I am here I want entrance to your browser" (thinking - and via your browser access to your computer and your OS if there is a chance). The browser user, Mr. PEBKAC has sent a request for me, and here I am standing in front of port 80 (you have a service there that when I can walk straight under through that gate without bending I am entitled to some free candy I came to collect, your specific cookie and other data). "OK", says the browser but before we can lead you further, you have to pass little gate with port number 12080, that is the avast shield to check if you are OK". "Sure I am OK, have the latest obfuscated code tested at our own maltest scanners, I am fullproof scam adcode", think (I will go unnoticed here, no signature, no heuristic to touch me). "We let you pass for now", say the browser officials. "Nice I aam happy to run, no one to interfere, my certificate is self made, the exploit room has been opened for me "So I can run and do my job here?". Now that could be a plausible scenario for any browser, even Fx, but not if you had NS installed. What then? Mr. PEBKAC now only allows secure code to run, NS is standing at the door and does not let any insecure code in like a bouncer, not even when it wears a tie and gloves and gets specifically nervous when it has sunglasses or weird unpacker-clothes. "Only Mr. PEBKAC may allow you in and if he allows you my settings will even prevent you from entering, you are suspicious"; says NoScript, reading his instructions he got from developer Giorgio Maone and settings he got from Mr. PEBKAC.. Now Mr. PEBKAC the wiser browser owner also has RequestPolicy extension installed and your request came from the Malkodovia server who does not have anything to do with the main domain, so you are blocked, and we even have a subsituted adcode for that that you pose as you, provided by courtesy of Mr. NoScript.
Mr. PEBKAC was totally unaware what went on under the hood of his browser with NS active, and if he could he could, he would smile and write this little true life story,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

DukeNukem

No not really, if you are that paranoid either don't use the internet or don't use the computer. If you are paranoid inside a car then don't drive it, use the bus or the train. Simple as that.

You have just make the same mistake again. I am not talking about using the internet. I am talking about using firefox without nscript.

I deliberately made a sarcastic statement to illustrate my view on the matter and you are taking it completely out of context.

Hermite15

posted earlier today on NS forums...a few minutes after downloading and installing 4.0b2pre ;D ABP is fine though ;)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Hi DukeNukem and Miha,

Well there are two security approaches deny-as-default and and then refine through eventually whitelisting. This way catches better/superior, but demands of the user that he knows what he or she or it is doing. You never run after the facts that way. But the definitions should be OK, so the developer has to upgrade and update the application frequently..

If you use protection the other way around, standing rear backwards, you make gigantic blacklists, are always running after the facts as with hostfile block listing (YoKenny's hobby horse) and end up with a lot of dirt/crap/in the meantime cleansed, no longer available. I.m.o. that means far more overkill then the first approach, but the application is much more stable, but the definitions vary all the time and you always miss the most recent added.
With a deny-as-by-default solution you never miss any detection out, while with the other approach you never can manage the definitions (see the basic principles of firekeeper, snort etc.)
As I analyzed it for blocking suspicious and possible macode scripts the first approach is far superior.
Your comments please, friends?

polonus

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Hi Logos,

I just saw it when I spotted your posting on the NS forums.
It is again demonstrating that I am right with my analysis of the two major protection schemes in a nutshell as given in my posting before this one. That is why ABP stands at 1.2 and NS is at version 97 or maybe I just have to verify to find updates,

pol

P.S. That is why you read with NS:
a compatibility update has been applied
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 08:12:42 PM by polonus »