Author Topic: How well does your browser support HTML5?  (Read 15874 times)

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: How well does your browser support HTML5?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 10:29:27 PM »
Hi :)

My scores

Flock: 46+0
Mozilla: 139+4
IE8: 27+0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 10:57:13 PM »
I didn't use the word standard, but the word standards.

It is wc3 org (http://www.w3.org/) that set the standards; it sets the structure for the HTML5 (as was done many years ago with HTML4). This allows browser developers elect to comply with those standards in their browser development and also allows for web site designers to design sites to those standards.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2010, 12:29:21 AM »
Hi DavidR,

And what about the IE8 browser users on XP SP3 that cannot migrate to a browser with more than 20 odd points?
They have to migrate to GoogleChrome to enjoy the HTML5 goodies. Did I get that right? Time for the Google OS,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Jahn

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2010, 12:33:10 AM »
I have 199+9 bonus points on Firefox Minefield/3.7a6pre ;D

Congrats, Soure73. You and Firefox Minefield/3.7a6pre have the highest score so far with 199+9.

Jahn

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2010, 12:35:27 AM »

Jahn

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2010, 12:37:47 AM »
The test is pointless because almost nobody is actually using HTML5 anyway.

The test is pointless because almost nobody is actually using HTML5 anyway.

+1

Did either of you two stop and think why all these browsers developers are bothering to make their browsers HTML5 compliant?

Maybe you need to read a bit
IE9 Platform Preview 3 Marches to the Standards Beat
posted by Kroc Camen on Sat 26th Jun 2010 10:48 UTC

Microsoft have released IE9 Platform Preview 3, an application that gives developers access to the IE9 rendering engine (it's not a full browser). In this update they have added hardware accelerated HTML5 Video, Canvas, Fonts (using WOFF) and big improvements in JavaScript with ES5, DOM Traversal, L2 and L3 events and 83/100 Acid3 score. It sits between Firefox and Chrome 6 on JavaScript speed, but outperforms every browser in real tests.
http://www.osnews.com/story/23490/IE9_Platform_Preview_3_Marches_to_the_Standards_Beat

FUD, as usual.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2010, 12:38:27 AM »
Hi Jahn,

I would install this and have NS and RP extensions in there by using the Nightly Tester Tools.
Good to read the developers at "the burning edge" are going for it  and are preparing us for the new standards,
the Fx browser is not doomed yet!
@ ChrisThomas, you have HTML5 standard for vids in GoogleChrome...

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2010, 12:42:21 AM »
Hi DavidR,

And what about the IE8 browser users on XP SP3 that cannot migrate to a browser with more than 20 odd points?
They have to migrate to GoogleChrome to enjoy the HTML5 goodies. Did I get that right? Time for the Google OS,

polonus

I'm totally unconcerned about XP SP3 with IE8 not being able to get IE9 to be able to use html5 objects, I don't use it other than windows updates. IE8 is so slow compared to firefox and firefox will continue to be my default for some time to come.

I didn't like chrome on the couple of times I tried it, it might be marginal faster but as far as configurability, add-ons and your favourite privacy. So I somehow doubt I would be using that any time soon either.

So what others choose, is what they have to live with, if they can't get IE9 and aren't prepared to switch they are stuck with IE8, which in the near future won't be a problem as it will take time before web site designers really start to use the HTML5 standards. Then they will be forced into using something else and MS have lose another browser user by there not supporting XP with IE9.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jahn

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2010, 12:43:07 AM »
Exactly. When browsers are reasonably compliant, web developers will start to use HTML5.

+1

Jahn

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2010, 12:49:31 AM »
No Chrome testers? I think it should do well since Google also owns YouTube.

Dch48

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2010, 12:58:10 AM »
Hi DavidR,

polonus

I'm totally unconcerned about XP SP3 with IE8 not being able to get IE9 to be able to use html5 objects, I don't use it other than windows updates. IE8 is so slow compared to firefox and firefox will continue to be my default for some time to come. 
I didn't like chrome on the couple of times I tried it, it might be marginal faster but as far as configurability, add-ons and your favourite privacy. So I somehow doubt I would be using that any time soon either.

So what others choose, is what they have to live with, if they can't get IE9 and aren't prepared to switch they are stuck with IE8, which in the near future won't be a problem as it will take time before web site designers really start to use the HTML5 standards. Then they will be forced into using something else and MS have lose another browser user by there not supporting XP with IE9.
By the time HTML5 compatibility is a requirement for browsing (which I'm not at all sure it ever will be), XP will be at the end of it's support and almost everybody will be on at least Vista and more likely, 7. So I'm not worried about it at all. I expect to be using W7 within a year myself. As far as speed, the only thing I ever found FF or even Chrome to be faster at than IE8  in my browsing tests was opening multiple tabs at once which I never do anyway. In my browsing habits of only opening a tab at a time and never having more than 3 open, I found no difference in speed whatsoever. The fastest one to load my homepage from a cold start of the browser with all histories and caches cleared was IE every time. I just prefer it's interfaces and options to any alternative I have tried. Like I said, the one I liked the best of the others was Opera but my cleanup applications wouldn't work right with it so it had to go too. At this point in time, if I had to have a backup browser to see HTML5 content, it wouldn't be Chrome, it would be Comodo Dragon.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 01:03:00 AM by Dch48 »

Jahn

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2010, 01:12:46 AM »
I would install this and have NS and RP extensions in there by using the Nightly Tester Tools.

Hi Damian, you lost me. Install what? Nightly Tester Tools? I already have NS and RP.

Jahn

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2010, 01:32:21 AM »
By the time HTML5 compatibility is a requirement for browsing (which I'm not at all sure it ever will be), XP will be at the end of it's support and almost everybody will be on at least Vista and more likely, 7. So I'm not worried about it at all. I expect to be using W7 within a year myself. As far as speed, the only thing I ever found FF or even Chrome to be faster at than IE8  in my browsing tests was opening multiple tabs at once which I never do anyway. In my browsing habits of only opening a tab at a time and never having more than 3 open, I found no difference in speed whatsoever. The fastest one to load my homepage from a cold start of the browser with all histories and caches cleared was IE every time. I just prefer it's interfaces and options to any alternative I have tried. Like I said, the one I liked the best of the others was Opera but my cleanup applications wouldn't work right with it so it had to go too. At this point in time, if I had to have a backup browser to see HTML5 content, it wouldn't be Chrome, it would be Comodo Dragon.

Google Search (sites using html5?)

HTML5 is here, now.

Dch48

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2010, 01:36:45 AM »

Google Search (sites using html5?)

HTML5 is here, now.

It might be here on a very small number of sites that are specifically designed to promote it but it is NOT a requirement for a browser to have compatibility with it to browse the vast majority of the internet. On Youtube, HTML5 is an option, not a requirement. Given all that, no, HTML5 has not arrived yet.  It probably will eventually take over but that day is a long way off in computer terms (3-5 years at best and maybe longer).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 01:42:13 AM by Dch48 »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2010, 05:03:26 AM »
The word standard means something in common usage and employed by the majority. HTML5 is not a standard yet, it is a wish. Having said that, IE9 already has incorporated most of the elements of it and is promising to be the most "standards compliant" browser when it is released, even if the "standards" are not actually standard yet.

How do you think HTML4 ever came into usage over HTML3?
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog