Author Topic: Unfortunately Having To Uninstall Avast5  (Read 9936 times)

BobbyZee67

Unfortunately Having To Uninstall Avast5
« on: June 26, 2010, 02:26:10 PM »
Regretably have had to uninstall Avast5,loved everything about it except that each time I've ran it I've experienced warnings that a certain Windows\system32\mbamswissarmy.sys file was a hidden rootkit rogue problem.
    No Avast scans replicated this detection and neither did MSE. At present I am running Avira Antivir and as yet, no problems. Incidentally, I also run SuperAntispyware(realtime protection), and Malwarebytes(realtime protection) disabled without a hint of an infection.

I'm wondering whether the Avast warning was caused by the fact that on both occasions I uninstalled MSE and installed Avast5, I neglected to disable Windows Defender, I also think the checkbox was ticked for Defender to run in realtime. I would certainly appreciate any thoughts on this problem as I would certainly like to return to Avast5.

Cheers.

BobbyZee67

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Unfortunately Having To Uninstall Avast5
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 02:30:44 PM »
It's a MBAM file detected as false positive by avast.
Two residents could conflict. I think three are overkilling...
The best things in life are free.

BobbyZee67

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 03:30:38 PM »

Many thanks for your reply Tech, have posted two or three times before with this problem, even suggesting that it might[be a FP but I had been told to do many things but no suggestion that it probably was an FP.

I never intended to run Defender, I presume each time I installed MSE, it disabled Defender but when I uninstalled MSE, Defender was re-enabled and with realtime protection in addition-overkill, running with Avast5, SuperAntispyware Pro and MBAM!

Cheers Tech,

BobbyZee67
[/u]

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 04:00:05 PM »
I do not have a problem with avast! V5 and MBAM.

You do not indicate your operating system and Service Pack level in your posts.

I do not use Windows Defender on my XP Pro system.

I keep Windows Defender updated through its portal:
Latest definition version: 1.85.898.0
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Definitions/ADL.aspx

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 07:06:31 PM »
It's a MBAM file detected as false positive by avast.
Two residents could conflict. I think three are overkilling...

+1
asyn

W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

JerryM

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 10:34:09 PM »
Avast Pro 5 and MBAM run well on my laptop. It is a W XP. I also run Win Patrol, and Online Armor free firewall. It is a good combination for me.

Regards,
Jerry

Gargamel360

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 11:55:55 PM »
I also use Mbam/Avast!, never had this detection.

Do a forum search on mbamswissarmy.sys, others have had this who, according to them, only have mbam free.
So turning off Mbam shields when you scan might not make a difference.  This has also been submitted as a FP, gone away, then returned. 

If you think it might be infected you could upload it here for peace of mind>>http://www.virustotal.com/
If it comes back clean, you can try adding it to both Avast! exclusion lists (main settings&file system shield)

BobbyZee67

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 12:14:20 AM »
   I would like to thank Tech, YoKenny and others for advice for which I appreciate very much. However, entering mbamswissarmy.sys file into "search box", I see that I'm not the only person who's had this problem! Like I've said before, Avast would be my choice of AV program but until I can be sure that this inherent fault is fixed, I'll have to stick with Avira. This file may well be a FP but with each warning I'm forced to uninstall/reinstall MBAM.

OS: Vista Home Premium SP2,Windows Firewall,MBAM(paid/realtime protection disabled), Avira Antivir Personal and SuperAntispyware Pro.

Cheers all,

BobbyZee67

bo.elam

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 05:16:24 AM »
BobbyZee67 I have that file on my computer and Avast is not detecting it
as malware. I have been using Avast for 3 months and that file has never
been detected. Mine is located in System32/Drivers and I have the free
version of MBAM.
Bo

Gargamel360

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 06:51:03 AM »
If you want to ditch your AV due to a single harmless FP, I suppose that is up to you. 

This is a security program FP, not a system file or anything vital.  As I said, its been submitted before as a false, Avast! is very quick to address fp's from what I have seen. The fact that the detection returns and it is rare says to me some odd circumstance is involved, like updating one while the other is scanning?

Still, your system, your choice. :)

Dch48

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 06:53:08 AM »
BobbyZee67 I have that file on my computer and Avast is not detecting it
as malware. I have been using Avast for 3 months and that file has never
been detected. Mine is located in System32/Drivers and I have the free
version of MBAM.
Bo
Same here, Avast! has never detected it as malware.

kreon

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 09:32:59 AM »
I also had to uninstall IS paid V.5, as after restart I am getting "logon' errors on logging into W XP. Also the firewall will not load. Have submitted ticket but no response as yet!

How to solve this issue! 

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 09:40:25 AM »
I also had to uninstall IS paid V.5, as after restart I am getting "logon' errors on logging into W XP. Also the firewall will not load. Have submitted ticket but no response as yet!

How to solve this issue! 

You can try the latest PR build...
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=61045.0
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

kreon

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 11:39:54 AM »

How to solve this issue! 

You can try the latest PR build...
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=61045.0
asyn

Tried that but still am getting "Unable to start Firewall!" message.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 11:44:31 AM »
Tried that but still am getting "Unable to start Firewall!" message.

Which other security related software is installed..??
asyn