Author Topic: Avast folks, I made a mistake  (Read 53070 times)

Mac_Muz

Re: Avast folks, I made a mistake
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 02:50:59 AM »
This instant the down load for the avast remove is down loaded. It appears i have the following choices.

remove the wrong one with add/remove, which I have never done in xp.

removed the wrong one with CCleaner, which i did earlier today with ad-ware. Seems that worked out ok.

But then I am to start in safe mode, not to sure I know much about that in xp, and remove avast again? This time with the avast uninstaller? Why would that need to be?

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 03:44:51 AM »
I guess you have found whether you have 32bit or 64bit.

When you power up yr computer start tapping the F8 key - and through all screens if need be - until you reach the screen that offers various options, one of which is Safe Mode - choose the Safe Mode option.

Allow the computer to boot into Windows, press OK when prompted that you about to enter Safe Mode

I assume you have removed  avast modules through standard add/remove uninstall already

Run the uninstall utility in Safe Mode - I assume you have this one (see screenshot)
- make sure you scroll down options to choose the version you want removed / cleaned out
(that is, if you have 4.7 Pro, which probably comes under 4.8, I cant recall - and avast5, if that is now also on yr system)

This will clean yr system so it is ready for a clean install of avast, without any hitches.

If you want you can also run Fredvries [02] AVG cleanup tool if you think there are AVG leftovers.
- but maybe leave for now, wait and see if there are any problems later.

Restart yr computer and run the avast_av_free setup engine (see screenshot)
follow directions and allow install through to Finish and you are set to go free for one month
once you open the program and Register the product you are set to go for free for period of 1 year

if you have any problems, reply post here and one of the forum members will attend to yr call

Regards,
and going by yr undoubted willing, and the nice handiwork that I seen thru yr links, you certainly have earned some  :)

« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 03:51:08 AM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Dch48

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 06:42:28 AM »
Dch48, On that Malwarebytes AntiMalware, trying to update it I got a code 732 (0,0) which in the error list says i don't have a connection. I sent them a email. I am not sure what version it is other than free which is also in the user license. I wonder if i should give the boot and go DL another?

Now that's another thing I could use some help with, specifically understanding what a woman does, and why?  ;D

If the version of Malwarebytes that's installed is too old, it may not be able to be updated. Just uninstall it and install the latest version.

The second problem? Good luck, men have been wrestling with that since Eve wanted to eat the apple. Nobody has come up with the answer yet  and I don't think the solution is downloadable.

Mac_Muz

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 03:14:35 PM »
Well I was up at 6:30, working on this all, trying to understand it. Last night priniting out instructions to boot into safe mode.

I have CCleaner which I am using as add remove. With CCleaner I removed the 4.7 avast, but did not go into safe mode and run the tool, which i did down load, but didn't 'run'.

It looks like I must get that done and take out avast 5 huh?  That is get started in safe mode and run the cleaner?

Currently I am down loading a new version of Malwarebytes too.

And no I am not sure where to find out if this is 32 or 64 bites. It isn't listed in system info.

Remember this is a used machine, with left over remants from another person I never met.

I can semi navigate around, it's work, and find tools and other data, that seems to apply, but often have to work to just get back to a place/folder i found before.

Some things like how to find 32 or 64 bits I need to be told how and where to look.

I never really used safe mode in win 98 either, to fix things, unless I was forced by the system given no choice, and then I didn't really know what to do.

The morning is getting on and I got to go work. Suddenly is it 9:13 am.

I did DL wife 2.0 which works a lot better than wife 1   ;D

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 04:33:59 PM »
Most times computers are 32bit

okay - this is a failsafe method
Start -> My Computer -> Local Disk (C:)   and there should only be one Program Files folder in the C: directory
If so, then it is a 32bit system

A 64bit system has a Program Files for x86(32bit) and a Program Files for x64(64bit)

-----------------

If you go Start -> and then right-click with mouse on My Computer, and then choose Properties from the drop-down menu (at the bottom)
the screen will open with the General option in System Properties and amongst the info on that page you should see 32bit
- meant to be there with all the other general information (but unfortunately sometimes it isn't)

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Mac_Muz

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 06:53:48 PM »
Going this way.."If you go Start -> and then right-click with mouse on My Computer, and then choose Properties from the drop-down menu (at the bottom)
the screen will open with the General option in System Properties and amongst the info on that page you should see 32bit
- meant to be there with all the other general information (but unfortunately sometimes it isn't)"

What I see that looks close is,
 AMD Athlon(tm) 64x2Dual
Core Processor 4000+
2.11GHz of RAM

Going this way. "If you go Start -> and then right-click with mouse on My Computer, and then choose Properties from the drop-down menu (at the bottom)
- meant to be there with all the other general information (but unfortunately sometimes it isn't)"

I see one folder called Program Files, no other text.

Is you meaning that if this was a 64 bit system the folder name would be " Program Files" but 2 folders?

Since I have just one folder, then this is the more common 32 bit system?

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 10:39:33 PM »
yes yr motherboard is 32bit architecture
In yr System Information under Summary you should see - System Type  x86-based PC

- if 64bit archictecture
If you went to System Properties as you did when right-click My Computer and selected Properties, then you would has seen this -
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

Sorry ages since I powered up my 64bit system, as sitting idle minus a video card at the moment

Dch48

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 11:27:40 PM »
Consider yourself lucky you don't have XP 64 since it wasn't very good. The specs of your machine are high enough that it could run Windows 7, 32 or 64 bit, if you are ever inclined to make the switch. My machine might struggle since it only has a single core processor.

Mac_Muz

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 11:31:44 PM »
Thanks. We got that part settled.

Can you go into any detail if I 'must' boot up in safe mode and run the avast uninstall?

I have the CCleaner and to me, which isn't sayin' much, the old avast appears to be all gone, as does the old ad-aware.

I am unclear on if I 'must' when to run the avast uninstall tool I down loaded. Would I run the tool is normal mode and then shut down to boot up in safe mode and the run the program?

Could it be CCleaner wiped these out completely?

Another tool a friend suggested I install and i did is Auslogics Disk Defrag, which seems a nice tool for defrag.

before i ran that the first time maybe a week ago, I hunted high and low for How To Scan disk like in win 98se.

It seems scan disk first is not what xp wants, but I wouldn't know why?

Once i learn these things, I can be good to go, but getting there, and on a new to me system isn't easy. I don't know any IT guys and live very rural.

I did save Avast 5.0 to the down loads folder, so I can wipe it clean and still recover it . The same goes for the Dl for Malawarebytes, other than the old one is still working such as it is.

I emailed them the code I got, a 732, and their answer was remove the program for the updated one.

Before I got rid of the AVG anti virus program I ran it, and came up clean. In their version of a chest there were old files before me, but all of that appears gone too.

All in all I think this system will be ok for my limited uses.

Mac_Muz

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2010, 11:41:52 PM »
Dch48, We sort of cross posted. I got the message still. I can't even tell what brand this system is. There is no logo or brand name on it anywhere. Friends of mine helped out a kid (30 year old kind), and the kid went bad on a lone, and this was asked for as in partial payment. My friends just wanted something, and then pretty much my friends considered things I have done just because, favors, worthy of giving me this machine. I got a tower, a beater key board and a mouse.

The tower has no A drive but the My Computer thinks it has one and there is marks from screws to hold one too. No big deal to me since I don't need a A drive. It has a DVD Burner, not the SATA type, and I know this because I was going to add anouter burner and bought the wrong one. There is no place to plug that new drive in, and to return it would cost more in shipping back than the dvd cost new, so I have a nice new dvd burner that will sit in a box and collect dust.

I guess I can buy an adapter to the SATA port and then use the burn if I really want to bad enough. Another guy explained to me why I don't need 2 burners, and now i see the reason, it makes sense.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2010, 12:10:15 AM »
I emailed them the code I got, a 732, and their answer was remove the program for the updated one.
Go to Control Panel > Internet Options. Click on the Connections tab, then the LAN Settings button. Uncheck Use a Proxy Server and check Automatically detect settings.
Then click Ok/Apply and exit out of there. Malwarebytes should update now without giving you the error.

This is fixed in latest version, and if you get the update to work it will download the latest version.... ;)

Mac_Muz

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2010, 12:30:37 AM »
Pondus, I am on Juno 56k dial up. I am looking at where you told me to go and it says:

Local Area Networking (LAN) settings
LAN Settings do not apply to dial-up connections.
Choose Settings above for dial-up settings.

I live so far back in the woods no cable comes here, and satellite is out of the question.

Dch48

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2010, 01:06:16 AM »
There are 2 ways to find the XP scan disk and defrag utilities. If you have installed Auslogics defrag though, I would use that as it's faster and better. One way to find the utilities  is ; Start-All Programs-Accessories-System Tools. In there you will see the scandisk and defrag among other things.
The second way is ; Start-My Computer-right click on the c: drive and choose Properties and then the tab for tools.

You should probably run the scandisk with the option to automatically fix errors. You will have to reboot for it to do it's job. You will get a blue screen describing what's going on. Just let it finish it's job and then the machine will reboot again and this time XP will fully load.

Mac_Muz

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2010, 02:09:23 PM »
There are 2 ways to find the XP scan disk and defrag utilities. If you have installed Auslogics defrag though, I would use that as it's faster and better. One way to find the utilities  is ; Start-All Programs-Accessories-System Tools. In there you will see the scandisk and defrag among other things.
The second way is ; Start-My Computer-right click on the c: drive and choose Properties and then the tab for tools.

You should probably run the scandisk with the option to automatically fix errors. You will have to reboot for it to do it's job. You will get a blue screen describing what's going on. Just let it finish it's job and then the machine will reboot again and this time XP will fully load.

Yes I had done that maybe a week ago, after getting rid of things I could see in 'Recent Documents, except the files were missing, just titles and hanging chads of stuff the kid had. When the blue screen first appeared i said Uh Oh. I took it as the blue screen of death I have seen on other xp systems. I was relieved seeing a message i could read and understand.

What i would like to know more about is why booting to safe mode to run Avast uninstall matters after removing the wrong avast with CCleaner.

I am still waiting to remove Malwarebytes, and install the new one. If I must remove the new avast and boot up in safe mode to remove the old and new avast again, I don't want to confuse the issues with Malwarebytes.

One brick at a time and the road to Rome will be built...... maybe LOL

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2010, 07:05:53 PM »
@Mac : That's my name ;D
Malwarebytes is the software's name
SuperAntispyware is also another software's name ~_^

Thank you,
Shiw Liang :P