Author Topic: Avast folks, I made a mistake  (Read 53048 times)

Dch48

Re: Avast folks, I made a mistake
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2010, 03:29:17 AM »
I'm pretty sure the recommendations thing only shows if no Antivirus software is detected by the Security Center. I have XP Pro and it just says that avast! is on and is up to date.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2010, 03:30:09 AM »
yes looks like you're right Tarq - I can see the Virus Protection tab is expanded

Below is a screenshot of same tab expanded in my Security Center
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Mac_Muz

« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2010, 10:20:17 PM »
Tarq, That is exactly what i see. I know how to make a screen shot, but I don't know how to get it on here, unless I get it to photobucket first. I don't really want to have to do it that way. Is there a better way?

Mac_Muz

« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2010, 10:38:59 PM »
mkis, I just checked mine against your screen shot. No dice. Mine is exactly like Tarq's.

New Topic, I need help with.

Today in a e-mail from a real known friend, he attached a file for an emergency group I belong too. For any broken down motorcycle.

This is the file name and type : Kawanow_ESL-07072010 XLS File 76 KB. I understand the kawanow the ESL (emergency service list) the date (07072010), and that it is excel.

I clicked the file knowing I have no excel, and a pop up took me here.  http://shell.windows.com/fileassoc/0409/xml/redir.asp?Ext=xls

I looked that over some, and went here. http://fx2.file101.net/

Didn't feel like i was ready for this. Things say one thing and then seem to be quite another.

What say Yee? Can I get a DL of a XLS reader?

I hand sew leather mocs, leggins, even shirts. This means i have reserve patients, and will wait to ask you guys, now I know it's ok. Thanks Mac

Dch48

« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2010, 11:03:47 PM »
You can try the free program called Open Office. It opens many Microsoft Office file formats including .xls. It is not always fully compatible though as far as editing and saving the files go.

You can also try this--

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1cd6acf9-ce06-4e1c-8dcf-f33f669dbc3a&displaylang=en

P.S. For the car modifications I had to download a couple of utility programs written by users of the game. That particular version of the Need For Speed series is the most modifiable one they ever made and even though the graphics are not quite as good as later versions, they're still pretty good and you can get a dashboard view from inside the car while racing. The later versions eliminated that for some strange reason along with the ability to view replays of  the races from different camera angles.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 11:22:34 PM by Dch48 »

Dch48

« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2010, 11:06:44 PM »
As far as the security center issue goes, here is what I see:

The recommendations button only appears if the AV is turned off or if no AV is detected by the Security Center. This is with XP Pro SP3

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 11:23:13 PM by Dch48 »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2010, 02:34:51 AM »
Didn't feel like i was ready for this. Things say one thing and then seem to be quite another.

The trap of "sponsored results".
Looks like you clicked on the second link, after clicking on the "search the web" link on the Windows page.

Who'd have thought advertisers would do such a thing? ;D The link looks like it's pushing some kind of driver update tool, which is not what you need, as you correctly surmised. (Drivers, should you ever need them, are best got from the manufacturer of the software concerned. Rule of thumb: If everything is working OK, you can do without updating these. Sometimes performance and stability improvements can be gained by updating them.)

MS charge for their office components. Old versions can be got for free. (Dch48 linked you to a ms one.) I have the 2007 version on my PC; it has limited functionality, in that it's a reader only, which is fine. It's a huge download for someone on dial up, ~71Mb.

There are often free alternatives. The highly rated OpenOffice is one of these. Not only free; it's open-source, which means the code is published for anyone to see (and if they want, and know how, modify.) This provides more functionality than the free version of the MS offering, but is also rather a large download, I'm afraid. If you know someone nearby with a high speed connection, I'd get the installer and put it on a flash drive to transfer to your own computer.

Of course, it looks like you live in the middle of nowhere. ;D Do they even have Kawasaki motorcycles out there? I've had a few Kawa triples. (They don't seem to like cold wet weather much. The plugs foul up.)

At Brothersoft they have an Excel 2003 viewer for free; it's only a 9.93Mb download. A compatibility pack is advised, for opening files created using a newer version. It's here at MS and 37Mb.

I'd probably be inclined to go the open office route, even on dial up. Up to you.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2010, 04:19:07 AM »
To get a picture on the forum post, click the " + Additional Options..." button/link to the bottom left of the Post Reply window you are typing a reply in.
You'll see what I've pictured below appear.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2010, 07:35:36 AM »
yes appears Windows only needs to be informed once that you will use yr own antivirus
- I guess mine is running like Windows is being informed every time av runs

I unchecked the box in Recommendations and not needed anymore - seems same running (screenshot)
- unless change antivirus I guess

Edit - came back and edited post - was in mad rush when first posted
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 12:42:59 PM by mkis »

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2010, 12:46:29 PM »
Mac - if yr images are still as bitmaps, then open them in Paint as save as gif or jpeg, for example
- so they are more manageable size for upload

if you dont know already  ;)

Mac_Muz

« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2010, 03:19:04 PM »
Oh I can see the bit map file i made, but I can't locate the folder for 'Recent Documents' via Windows Explorer. I made an attempt to up load it but bit maps files are not seemingly allowed and the file is way too big anyway.

Next I up loaded the excel file, and realized it too was not an allowed file type. Just as well since it is a list of real people on a emergency list, giving a lot of personal details, like real names, phone numbers, what in a mc emergency they can handle, like if they have a trailer to tow a bike, if they are a skilled tech with tools, and if they can have random guests stay for so long as it takes for the fix, and etc.

I don't want any excel program so much as just a way to read this file. A way that is free.

OT, My bike is a Kawii Nomad 1600, one of the green and silver ones because they are the fastest  ;D

This one is my 2nd, as I once owned a 1500cc Nomad for 360 days until someone else liked it better than I did, and in the dark of night cut open my enclosed trailer and took it, with every single thing in the way. You could safely say I was somewhat less than pleased.

That is a confusing story. It began in 05 with the 1500 and a mc trailer the bike could pull. We crossed the USA from NH to Ca that way, and from Ca to Fl the same way, thence to Arkansas, where we encountered winter. There we bought a 86' Dodge Van as a rolling bed room and a 6x6x12 enclosed trailer for the bike and it's little trailer. After that the little trailer has never been used again, but it was in pieces at the time of the theft and not stolen.

I didn't know kawii made any triples ever. But I know Yamii did and I have one from the last year they did. A better than mint 1981 Xs850Sh.I call her Liberty in the photobucket albums. Go see!

Getting back to the excel file, how do I get a reader? I am still waiting with my reserve patients  ;D. I sure am glad I did too.

Getting these down load looks easy, but then you get dragged around Robin Hood's barn chasing all sorts of files that still don't do what you wanted.

A buddy sends me pps files and I managed to get a reader for that right from MS for free. Pretty much i just got lucky.

I don't know what a flash drive is.

""""""There are often free alternatives. The highly rated OpenOffice is one of these. Not only free; it's open-source, which means the code is published for anyone to see (and if they want, and know how, modify.) This provides more functionality than the free version of the MS offering, but is also rather a large download, I'm afraid. If you know someone nearby with a high speed connection, I'd get the installer and put it on a flash drive to transfer to your own computer.""""

Since i don't know what it is, I sure don't own one.  :-\

Hmmm Digesting this bit isn't so easy for me either. I told you guys up front I am computer stupid, and Dhc didn't believe me.

""""""""At Brothersoft they have an Excel 2003 viewer for free; it's only a 9.93Mb download. A compatibility pack is advised, for opening files created using a newer version. It's here at MS and 37Mb."""

"""I'd probably be inclined to go the open office route, even on dial up. Up to you."""""

Since i just want to read 1 76 kb file, I will see into the 9.93 Mb DL. I don't want excel that would be too much like working. I just want the list to see if what i said several years ago is all still valid. I move around some, as i am not a land owner and don't own a house. That's another story. It might be a old address of mine on that list.

Mac_Muz

« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
On this page just below the DL I think I want is an add????? that says before I DL to Dl something else i think to clean errors from my pc. That is a add right? Just more clutter to tease what's left of a feeble mind, my mind right?

Ya see I am one of those who really did inhale  ;D I don't now, but if i wanted to I sure would. I simply lost interest.

Dch48

« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2010, 10:09:36 PM »
Oh I can see the bit map file i made, but I can't locate the folder for 'Recent Documents' via Windows Explorer. I made an attempt to up load it but bit maps files are not seemingly allowed and the file is way too big anyway.

When you want a screenshot, just use the print screen key, then open up Paint, click on edit and then on paste. Voila, there's your pic and now you can crop it and save it as a .jpg to any place you want where you can easily find it. I use a free program called IrfanView to do the same thing since it's a lot better than the comparatively primitive Ms Paint.

I don't want any excel program so much as just a way to read this file. A way that is free.
The link I posted earlier is to a free Excel viewer from Microsoft that works the same as the Powerpoint viewer you already have.

Getting back to the excel file, how do I get a reader? A buddy sends me pps files and I managed to get a reader for that right from MS for free. Pretty much i just got lucky.
Look up  ;D
""""""""At Brothersoft they have an Excel 2003 viewer for free; it's only a 9.93Mb download. A compatibility pack is advised, for opening files created using a newer version. It's here at MS and 37Mb."""
I'd just get the latest viewer, I know it's a fairly big download for dialup though

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 10:13:38 PM by Dch48 »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2010, 10:52:36 PM »
Quote from: Mac_Muz
On this page just below the DL I think I want is an add?Huh? that says before I DL to Dl something else i think to clean errors from my pc. That is a add right? Just more clutter to tease what's left of a feeble mind, my mind right?
Yep. More clutter, how some sites make money. The sorts of things these downloads often do include registry cleaning and driver tests. Typically they install, scan, produce a list of errors/things that need optimizing, but then you have to pay a fee for them to actually do it.
Stay away. There are often freeware versions available, and mostly they're not needed anyway, unless you like to tinker.
Ya see I am one of those who really did inhale  Grin I don't now, but if i wanted to I sure would. I simply lost interest.
There's worse things in todays world than inhaling a bit of dried leaf.  ;) Some of the new generation chemicals chill me to the bone, honestly.

Here's what a flash drive is. They are a portable storage device, small, and plug into one of the small rectangular slots, usually on the front or back of the computer, they only go in one way. Cheap as. Any electronics store - even some general stores/supermarkets sell them.
So, if you know someone with a high speed connection, you could get them to download the installer file for you and load it on the device, unplug it, plug it into your own machine, and then when it appears, run the installer from there. Saves a lot of downloading.

Otherwise, you could just download what you need at some time that it's convenient, I guess. Shouldn't take more than a night. Half a night, even.

Here's the Kawasaki Triple I had. Two stroke. All the power happens between about 6000 and 7500 revs, and there's a lot of it, and not much outside that rev range. Handling was rather average in the early models, and they killed a lot of people. Riding it correctly was as much art form and luck as skill, and I can tell you it is a very good way to remain mentally very focused in the event you get on the beast after inhaling.

YoKenny

« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2010, 10:57:46 PM »
@ Mac_Muz

It woud be so much easier if you updated your profile 56 k dial up<br />AMD dual core (what ever that means)<br />Athlon X2 in a no name box. to include operating system and Service Pack level.

With XP MWSnap is great:
http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html

With Vista and Windows 7 the Snipping Tool is great:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Use-Snipping-Tool-to-capture-screen-shots