Author Topic: Avast folks, I made a mistake  (Read 52879 times)

Mac_Muz

Re: Avast folks, I made a mistake
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2010, 10:41:50 PM »
Really that is a real name? In the USA um well err, it is a slang word for a part of the male anatomy. That's ok, as there is a slang word for my real last name.

Down to bee' wax.

If Ccleaner gets out removed programs, is there any real need to start in safe mode and run uninstall programs?

That is the most important question of the day for me.

There is another question. This is that google chrome was a part of avast's download for 5.0. I allowed it, and I see no sign of the browser program anywhere.

Google Chrome does not show up in add/remove, nor does it show up in CCleaner's list, nor in 'Start' 'All Programs'.

Bad down load? I have no idea what icons i should be looking for either, but i don't see any I didn't see before and there is nothing I see that isn't expected.

Dch48

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2010, 05:23:55 AM »
I don't know if the uninstall functionality in CCleaner runs any differently than Add/Remove Programs does. I suspect that it doesn't and uses the same routines but is much faster at loading the program list and starting to do what you want to do. If it doesn't actually uninstall things any differently, then the same remnants that might be left behind by Add/Remove will also be left by using CCleaner. I always run the registry cleanup part of CCleaner after uninstalling something and it usually does find a few now invalid registry entries. You should also check your Program Files folder as sometimes whole folders are left behind. Sometimes they're completely empty but sometimes they're not.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2010, 05:26:16 AM »
In my opinion, you only need to reboot into safe mode to run the tool if there was any kind of problem uninstalling Avast in normal mode.
Since it appears to have uninstalled OK, the tool can (and probably should) be run in normal mode.

It's a pretty intuitive tool to use. I can't remember what specific prompts it came up with (if any) but I think it asked to be pointed to the "Alwil" folder in "Program files" to do its work. You'll probably work it out no trouble.

Did you run a removal tool to finish off the removal of AVG, as well? If not, get it by clicking this direct download link (701Kb, direct from Grisoft) and save it to your desktop. Run it after you've run the Avast uninstall utility.

Once that's done, you should be good to install Avast 5. You will need to reboot after installing. Sometimes a second reboot is necessary, if anything should appear to "hang". But probably not.
The first scan will take a while, maybe, subsequent scans not as long. Personally I don't scan very often. About once a month, alternating between Avast and MBAM. (MalwareBytes)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Mac_Muz

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2010, 06:22:27 PM »
Thank you Dch48.

Tarq57. I used ccleaner and hunted with search for old files for the wrong avast i installed by mistake. I looked in programs folder too, and see no sign of it.

I think it is all gone, but don't know 2 things. If it is standard practice to start in safe mode and run the avast uninstall after removing it it in normal mode with add/ remove, or in my case ccleaner.

The ccleaner ran a wizard that brought up uninstall with avast name and logo. I assume that is standard with the avast install, and not the down load uninstall program.

I have down loaded the uninstall program, but have not used it. The reason being I am not sure if I must run it, and if I must in safe mode.

I did install avast 5.0 and it is working, says it is protecting the system.

If I run the uninstaller now it will remove I guess any left over bits of 4.7 and take out 5.0 too, which is ok as I saved the DL exe to my down loads.

ANOTHER topic: Avast 5.0 Dl came with google chrome and I allowed it, but nothing happend. I don't see any sign that this program really was installed. What if anything should I do about that?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2010, 01:51:50 AM »
If Avast 5 is working correctly, and there appear to be no reliability or performance issues, there is probably no need to run the uninstaller now.
I realize words like "probably" do not make the answer you want to hear. Sorry, I just don't know. The only way to find out would be to search through all folders and the registry, and locate any leftover parts of Avast 4. Not an easy task. More difficult would be to determine if any of those leftovers are actually having an adverse effect - or doing anything at all really. (They "probably" are not.)

Which is why we always recommend the uninstaller is run between installs. (And almost always recommend the use of other programs uninstallers, too, in respect of those programs. AVG, for example.)

The reason to run it in safe mode is that certain files can be loaded with the OS starting up in normal mode. Once locked by the OS, these files can not be easily deleted. The use of safe mode prevents a considerable number of files loading at start.

If it was run in normal mode, it will clean up remnants that are not loaded, and remove any leftover reg entries. If the program had previously been successfully uninstalled, it's my belief that that action will be adequate, as there would no longer be any instructions to load (and thereby, lock) any leftovers to run at start; a simple cleanup is all that's indicated.

If you now run the uninstall utility, whether in safe or normal, it will remove any old Avast entries, and your new Avast 5 installation. If you choose to do this, I'd uninstall the current installation first, follow any reboot commands, run the uninstall utility -either in safe or normal, your choice - reboot, then reinstall Avast 5.

Google Chrome is a browser, like IE8, or Firefox, or Opera. You may use it as such; it should appear in the "all programs" list if you click the "start" button. (A lot of users seem to like Chrome; I haven't tried it myself.) If you don't want to keep it, it can be uninstalled via "add/remove programs", either using the Windows control panel, or the same facility (which runs the same commands- that is, it is merely a different way of doing exactly the same thing,) in Ccleaner.

Mac_Muz

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2010, 04:23:05 AM »
Thanks Tarq, I think I understand better now.

The avast add/on for Googler chrome must not have installed.

It looks like I should uninstall avast 5 and run the uninstall tool fer safe keepin's. Pirate tawkin'

Just the doing will be a lesson, one I should know anyway.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2010, 04:27:00 AM »
For sure.
It's a (usually) non-dangerous adventure to reboot into safe. Just another tool that's good to practise when the going's good.

Mac_Muz

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2010, 03:30:32 PM »
Well I found out why to remove avast we must boot to safe mode. The uninstaller won't function with out doing so. There is no uninstaller on the free avast version 5.0. There was on free 4.8 and there is on paid 4.7.

So this is a done deal.

Now again the new install of avast offered Google Chrome and the only place it shows in in windows explorer. c/: program files/avast.

I tried to run it from there too, and nothing happens. Maybe with the free version that google chrome just won't open??

This system is used before me, but I think I am the admin now. I tried several ways to get google chrome to open and in one of the ways I got a NICI message. I might be wrong on the letters as i didn't write them down.

But any other down loads I did opened and installed. Things like Auslodgics Defrag, Ccleaner, this new 5.0 avast, the new malwarebytes, so I am stumped as to what and why.

Not real sure I need a 3rd browser anyway. This has IE 8 and Mozilla Fire Fox, both on the system as it came to me.

This is how I get myself into deep kimshee in the first place, wanting to check out new things.  ::)

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2010, 04:01:50 PM »
Well what I would recommend is to download Google Chrome seperately :)
I've tried to install google chrome via avast installer but nothing ;D

The browser I would recommend you to use it Mozilla Firefox which is more secure than the IE 8 :)

Dch48

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2010, 09:31:36 PM »
Well what I would recommend is to download Google Chrome seperately :)
I've tried to install google chrome via avast installer but nothing ;D

The browser I would recommend you to use it Mozilla Firefox which is more secure than the IE 8 :)
Maybe more secure but only if you install addons to it that reduce the ease of use and comfort level of browsing. I think IE8 is fine and all you need and more secure in it's default installation than FF is in it's out-of-the-box default state. It's also more user friendly. Chrome I can't stand at all.

Mac_Muz

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2010, 02:24:37 AM »
Ah, that probably saved me some time. I have both IE 8 and Mozilla Firefox. I use both.

Today I learned how to activate the quick task bar. That's handy.

Pretty much I am all set for the moment. I learned how to start in safe mode, and ran avast's uninstaller. to install the 5.0.
 I have been able to uninstall Malawarebytes, and got a newer version which will update.

I have Auslodgic defrag, and Ccleaner.

What else if anything might I DL ?

Oh, and I got a MS file reader for pps files.  Thanks for all the help. I will stick around a read more, but I won't be able to comment much, since I am not pc literate exactly.

YoKenny

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2010, 01:25:37 PM »
@ Mac_Muz

When you have 20 posts it would be a good idea to go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Please select your country: then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.

In Account Related Settings select Hide email address from public to prevent scammers and spammers harvesting your hotmail.com email address.

Mac_Muz

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2010, 09:59:39 PM »
@ Mac_Muz

When you have 20 posts it would be a good idea to go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Please select your country: then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.

In Account Related Settings select Hide email address from public to prevent scammers and spammers harvesting your hotmail.com email address.

Ok, I might do that. I am no pc geek, so I really didn't think that would matter much. I have almost no idea what this system is. It has no name brand i can find.

I am not sure why I need a sig line at all, but i am from NH USA.

All this box says is AMD 64 Athlon X2. Some no name, maybe a home build? I have no idea. Here it is mid 2010 and this is my first xp.

I can't help anyone here.. All I can do is ask.

If this site was about many other things i could help. Since I can't I do other sites where I can, like cars, trucks and motorcycles. Or guns, forging and wood work for the old ways .

So I am not seeing much of a reason to stick around, when I can't help 1 other person. Is there a reason you or anyone can tell me as to why i should?

Everything I do know is off topic.

Dch48

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2010, 11:35:27 PM »
You should stick around just to keep up with the news about Avast!. There are also other things you can learn by reading the new posts every day. A lot can be skipped since it won't apply to you but every now and then you might find something interesting or learn something new.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 11:49:36 PM by Dch48 »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2010, 11:45:33 PM »
Our common ground is avast and computer security.
Plus, if you do bikes and cars then you can do computers. Its not that hard, just takes a bit of time and effort - same as anything else.

Your computer.
If you want to take on the following steps, then we can make a start at telling you a bit about the computer.

1. Run HijackThis

Click here – (will take you direct to download)
http://www.filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/download/8571e06e5eb8ab03c649f3b5d647c599/

Download and run.
Then do scan and save a log file.

Post the log file to this thread. If it is too large you may have to post in two parts.

2. Download and run Belarc     http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Follow directions and a report will be generated which will outline a very long and tedious rundown of yr system.
You don't have to do this, but if you do I will give some directions on how to communicate info on the report to us on the webforum.
You should end up with a pretty good idea of what kind of system you have - so far it sounds like its good.

3. Bookmark Wikipedia  http://www.wikipedia.org/

Not the Encyclopedia Brittanica, but certainly a great starting point for finding information about the ins and outs of computers.
Maybe you already use Wikipedia for info about cars, bikes, and so on...if not, then its good for that too.

Alternatively, just search on google for info and you will find loads of different sites that are set up to help people
- in computer talk this procedure is called search, find and learn - we all did heaps of this, and true, it is often frustrating and boring

but whatever you do, good luck to you.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.