Author Topic: [RESOLVED]Help Please, unable to offline defragment unless Avast is uninstalled  (Read 21076 times)

Offline Dreamy

Hello,  :)

I have the paid version of Avast 5 Internet security/Anti Virus

My problem is this.

I have always used Perfect Disk and am rather happy with it.
But when ever Perfect Disk prompts me to initiate an offline defrag, it is unable to gain exclusive access to drive C

The only way to do an offline defrag is to uninstall Avast IS/AV then reinstall after the offline defrag is completed.

I have tried turning off disabling all sheilds but it still does not work.

Windows XP SP3
2 gigs of ram.

If anyone can help me then i would really appreciate it.

Later  :)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:55:57 PM by Dreamy »
I7-6700K, 32GB RAM, Win 7 64Bit Pro, Avast Premier Paid, MalwareBytes (Premium) Paid, HitManPro 64bit Paid.

Dch48

You could do the defrag in safe mode. Then you wouldn't have to uninstall or even turn off anything.

Gargamel360

You could also try turning off the Avast! self defense module.

Offline Dreamy

You could do the defrag in safe mode. Then you wouldn't have to uninstall or even turn off anything.

So when my PC restarts to do the offline defrag before windows starts, i choose the safe mode option?

You could also try turning off the Avast! self defense module.

Cool where can i find the self defence module "sorry" :-[
I7-6700K, 32GB RAM, Win 7 64Bit Pro, Avast Premier Paid, MalwareBytes (Premium) Paid, HitManPro 64bit Paid.

Gargamel360

1: Yes, just tap F8, I believe, when you do a restart.

2: Open Avast!>>Main settings>>Troubleshooting,  uncheck "enable self defense".

3: Do not forget to turn it back on when finished ;)

Offline Dreamy

It worked in safe mode  :) :) :) :)

I just did it on my laptop.

Thank you so much.

Hugs  :)

Offline Dreamy

1: Yes, just tap F8, I believe, when you do a restart.

2: Open Avast!>>Main settings>>Troubleshooting,  uncheck "enable self defense".

3: Do not forget to turn it back on when finished ;)

Whoops i didn't do that bit but it still worked.  :)

Thank you very much  :)

Gargamel360

Glad to help :)

Offline Dreamy

Thank You  :)

SafeSurf

Dreamy,  although your problem may seem to be fixed by doing a defrag in Safe Mode, something is obviously causing this problem.

1. What security software did you have on your machine prior to avast (AV, firewall, other security software, etc.)? 

2. Did you make any changes to your machine prior to this problem happening?

3. Have you scanned your machine for malware?  If you don't already have an on-demand (when needed) scanner to check for malware, please install the FREE version Malwarebytes' Antimalware (MBAM) http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and do a quick scan.  If anything comes up, then do a Full scan and post the results here.

Offline Dreamy

Dreamy,  although your problem may seem to be fixed by doing a defrag in Safe Mode, something is obviously causing this problem.

1. What security software did you have on your machine prior to avast (AV, firewall, other security software, etc.)? 

2. Did you make any changes to your machine prior to this problem happening?

3. Have you scanned your machine for malware?  If you don't already have an on-demand (when needed) scanner to check for malware, please install the FREE version Malwarebytes' Antimalware (MBAM) http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and do a quick scan.  If anything comes up, then do a Full scan and post the results here.

Hello SafeSurf,  :)

First. I had no other security software on my notebook as Windows XP Prof was freshly installed about 3 weeks ago. All the updates from Microsoft were put in immediately once Windows finished installing. "the tech was here all day" The only security was the Windows firewall and the router the technician installed.

Then Perfect Disk was installed and it did an offline defrag after which it did a normal defrag once windows had restarted. "This was done with the internet disconnected so i would not be infected.

The next thing after that was finished was to install Avast Internet Security "full paid version" Windows Firewall was turned off on the install of avast, and the only other thing installed was Spybot Search & Destroy free. That is all, and then within the last week when Perfect Disk prompted me for an offline defrag it would not do it saying it could not have exclusive access to C drive. So i phoned the technician and he told me that it may be Avast that was stopping Perfect Disk.

So i uninstalled Avast and it worked then i re installed Avast again.

Second. No changes were made to my notebook prior to this problem appearing.

Third. I did a full scan of my notebook and it found no malware.

Fourth. my total protection is this. Avast internet Security which has its own antivirus and Spybot Search & Destroy everything is updated to the latest. Windows XP SP3 is installed and all the little critical updates after that were installed.

The technician did all the updates in the one day, after which he turned the automatic windows updater to the recommended setting.

Oh and i also have Firefox installed as a secondary browser which i like. "It update today to the latest"

Now if i put in Malwarebytes' Antimalware (MBAM) wont it become confused because there will then be 2 antivirus software on my notebook?

And thank you.  :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Now if i put in Malwarebytes' Antimalware (MBAM) wont it become confused because there will then be 2 antivirus software on my notebook?

And thank you.  :)

No, Mbam as on demand scanner won't make any problems..!
Nevertheless Spybot does. You better drop it...!!!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Dreamy

Whoops i nearly forgot.  :)

I have the Avast Firewall set to High risk zone and all the Real time sheilds are set to the highest heuristics sensitivity. (Notebook)

I am currently working from my desktop as the notebook is for work purposes. I have the paid version of Online Armor on my desktop along with the free Avast 4.8 version and Spybot Search & Destroy.

:)

Offline Dreamy

No, Mbam as on demand scanner won't make any problems..!
Nevertheless Spybot does. You better drop it...!!!
asyn

Hello Asyn

So i should uninstall Spybot and put in the Mbam, is Mbam better than Spybot? Because i do not want Spybot if it is going to cause problems for me. Also does Mbam immunize my browsers or need i not worry about this.

I am really very greatful for all this help so Thank you.  :)

SafeSurf

You need to uninstall Spybot S&D.

Is your MBAM the free or Pro (paid)?  Make it MBAM on-demand only.

If you have Avast Firewall, then you need to uninstall OA; you can't have 2 FW's.  Disable OA (right click the bottom tool bar) > Control Panel > Uninstall (follow prompts).

You also need to uninstall Avast 4.0 and do a CLEAN install of AIS:

Save a copy of newest version of Avast AIS.
Save the http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility on your hard drive.
Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
Uninstall Avast through "Add/Remove Programs".  
Boot into Safe Mode and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.  Uninstall Avast 4.0, 5.0 and AIS at this time.
Reboot twice.
Clean your computer up.
Install Avast AIS and reboot twice.
Get Internet access and update Avast definitions.
Register your copy or add the license key for AIS.
Reset your settings, if needed.

Please post your results.  Thank you.