Author Topic: [RESOLVED]Help Please, unable to offline defragment unless Avast is uninstalled  (Read 21078 times)

Offline Dreamy

You need to uninstall Spybot S&D.

Is your MBAM the free or Pro (paid)?  Make it MBAM on-demand only.

If you have Avast Firewall, then you need to uninstall OA; you can't have 2 FW's.  Disable OA (right click the bottom tool bar) > Control Panel > Uninstall (follow prompts).

You also need to uninstall Avast 4.0 and do a CLEAN install of AIS:

I have not yet downloaded Mbam so it will be the free version.

Second i should have been more clear, i do not and have never had 2 firewalls.

My Notebook PC Has the PAID AIS 5 installed with the windows firewall turned off. My notebook has never had another AV or firewall on it since it was reformatted 3 weeks ago. AIS 5 paid was put in cleanly.

My Desktop PC has the paid Online Armor (No AV) installed with the windows firewall turned off, along with the Free Avast 4.8

I will follow your procedure on uninstalling spybot (Do i need to de immunize the browsers before uninstalling Spybot? Then i will install the free Mbam and follow your instructions from there.

But do i really need to uninstall the AIS 5 from my notebook ? since it was formatted 3 weeks ago AIS5 and spybot is all i have had on it.

SafeSurf i will reply again once i have completed the uninstall of spybot and install of Mbam, and post back with the results. "It is almost 9PM here now"

Thank you for helping.  :)

I7-6700K, 32GB RAM, Win 7 64Bit Pro, Avast Premier Paid, MalwareBytes (Premium) Paid, HitManPro 64bit Paid.

Offline Dreamy

But i will be unable to do anything until i get clarification on the following:

(Do i need to de immunize the browsers before uninstalling Spybot?  Then i will install the free Mbam and follow your instructions from there.
I7-6700K, 32GB RAM, Win 7 64Bit Pro, Avast Premier Paid, MalwareBytes (Premium) Paid, HitManPro 64bit Paid.

De Hollander

Hello,  :)

I have the paid version of Avast 5 Internet security/Anti Virus

My problem is this.

I have always used Perfect Disk and am rather happy with it.
But when ever Perfect Disk prompts me to initiate an offline defrag, it is unable to gain exclusive access to drive C

The only way to do an offline defrag is to uninstall Avast IS/AV then reinstall after the offline defrag is completed.

I have tried turning off disabling all sheilds but it still does not work.

Windows XP SP3
2 gigs of ram.

If anyone can help me then i would really appreciate it.

Later  :)

http://www.perfectdisk.com/support/kb/823

When attempting to perform a boot time or offline defragmentation pass, I get a failed to open message, driver conflict message or Windows fails to start properly.....

;)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Hello Asyn

1. So i should uninstall Spybot and put in the Mbam,
2. is Mbam better than Spybot?

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Dreamy

Okay i started Spybot Search & Destroy, de immunized everything "Hope it was the right thing to do" Then uninstalled it restarted the notebook and removed all other components to it. I restarted again..

I have downloaded and installed Mbam Free.
I did a quick scan. Objects Infected 0

So i did a full scan (like wow it took 22mins 35seconds )
Objects Infected 0

I have the log if you want it.  :)

Now all i have ever had on my Notebook computer since it was reformatted 3 weeks ago is AIS Paid and Spybot which is now gone. I have replaced spybot with Mbam free.

Now should i still uninstall AIS eventhough i have not had any other version or AV on my notebook by using the uninstaller. Admitedly i have uninstalled without the uninstaller AIS previously so i could do a offline boot time defrag.

So should i now uninstall AIS using the uninstaller? and starting fresh again.

Thank you.  
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 02:46:33 PM by Dreamy »

Offline Dreamy

Hello Asyn

1. So i should uninstall Spybot and put in the Mbam,
2. is Mbam better than Spybot?

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
asyn

Oh good i did it right.  :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
So should i now uninstall AIS using the uninstaller? and starting fresh again.

Thank you.  

If your problems are solved, there is no need to un/reinstall...
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Dreamy

Asyn,  :)

Would it be a worthwhile exercise to purchase Mbam Pro as all i now have is AIS Paid and Mbam Free?

Thank you.  :)

PS: The online armor which is installed on my desktop PC not my notebook will expire in 62 days.

I have another licence for AIS "because my brother got the 3 pack he only needed one", perhaps i should replace Online armor with AIS on my desktop pc.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 03:01:47 PM by Dreamy »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
Asyn,  :)

Would it be a worthwhile exercise to purchase Mbam Pro as all i now have is AIS Paid and Mbam Free?

Thank you.  :)

No, imo... ;)
The free version runs well.
asyn

Offline Dreamy

Okay thank you Asyn.  :)

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
hi Dreamy

Just a note here - i don't think it is necessary that Windows firewall is turned off.

from what I gather many on the forum consider that it is better to leave Windows firewall turned on
I have always left it turned on - that is, when trialing Internet Security suite, and also when I had OA premium running
there were no conflicts, no problems, and all was smooth running

I will say that this was a while ago now, so possibly no longer the case - I just haven't heard anything different myself

And then again, if you like to turn it off, and no problems, well then ignore all the above
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Daris

I have been using Spyot and Avast together with free MBAM for about 5 years never had problems with Spybot and Avast together...As a mater of fact they are Awesome together....Spybot S&D is not an AntiVirus so it definately goes well with Avast...I also Used Spybot Avast Spywareblaster and Windows Defender all together and they all ran AWESOME...I just didn't care for Microsoft updates from Windows Defender everyday.... Although Online Armour has a Firewall and Virus protection...And if you are using Avast the firewall version..that could create a problem....But Spybot is definately Good With Avast...I just wish they would create a better version of Spybot...They haven't done nothing to it for years.....It still runs like it did when it started......Avast can do a scan quicker than Spybot loads itself...Luck

Offline Dreamy

Hello mkis,  :)

Well i am no expert what so ever in this area at all. I am a little confused now because the guy's in the IT department at work have always slammed into me 1 firewall only. Be it Windows firewall or Avast or Online Armor etc or whatever. I must only have one firewall active is what has been preached to me so i follow that rule. Iike i have AIS installed on my notebook PC and i have Online armor installed on my desktop PC.

The Online armor on my Desktop PC will expire in 2 months, and i have an additional 2 year AIS licence 3 weeks old so when Online Armour expires i will most likely install AIS on my desktop PC.

I would like to turn on windows firewall but several IT guy's have told me no, it can cause problems and possibly leave me more vulnerable in the odd case.

But thank you very much for your thoughts, i appreciate it.  :)

Hello Daris,  :)

The guy's in the know here have told me to uninstall spybot because it may be causing my problem.

I have downloaded the latest SpywareBlaster But "NOT INSTALLED IT" i will wait to see what the tech guy's here have to say about installing it.

I am so confused,  ??? all i want is for both my Note Book & Desktop PC's to be as secure as possible. And i am prepared to pay for it for peace of mind.

Again thank you very much for your thoughts, i do appreciate it.  :)

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Oh you're doing fine. Your PC.

I think you determine what works and suits you best, and that is the standard for yr systems.
Also great to see that you have help and support group at work.

Regards, Mark.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

GloobyGoob

Hi Dreamy,

The Windows Firewall is compatible with Avast's Firewall. However, you can leave it off since it's not really that impressive.
Reviews: - XP
             - Vista
Spywareblaster prevents the installation of ActiveX-based spyware and other potentially unwanted programs, blocks tracking cookies, and restricts the actions of potentially unwanted or dangerous web sites. You don't need it if you sandbox your browser. AIS and Malwarebytes will keep your system secured.