Author Topic: Why did not Avast stop the malware AV Security Suite?  (Read 7218 times)

malko

Why did not Avast stop the malware AV Security Suite?
« on: June 27, 2010, 04:08:12 PM »
As Subject.

I went to a website for tutorials on image editing. Java icons showed up, the malware/virus/trojan/fraud bullshit got into my PC while Avast was watching. Why did Avast not do anything?

How can something not be suspicious when it changes computer settings etc? Seems like heuristics never work on Avast.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Why did not Avast stop the malware AV Security Suite?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 04:11:25 PM »
This programme is changed on a regular basis specifically to avoid being detected by AV programmes.  There are no AV programmes currently that will stop this in its tracks.  I have seen infected systems with Norton, Kaspersky, Eset, AVG, Avira etc... 

malko

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 04:13:29 PM »
But there is a removal guide and it seems that all those infected with Av Security Suite get the exact same things, exact same files, exact same setting changes.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 04:18:28 PM »
But the actual programmes are changed internally which is where the AV works, Malware tools work on file names and locations

You will find that MBAM releases details of a different variant near enough every day

Daris

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 05:03:05 PM »
Also if you haven't done so already in your " REAL TIME SHIELDS" under WEB SHIELD.. Expert settings.. ACTIONS ...set it to   "Abort Connection"...

malko

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 04:56:47 PM »
Yeah I got all those settings.

This is just so sad. When I ran the .exe file on virus total there were a few antiviruses that caught it. McAfee, Prevx etc. Although most of it was probably Heuristic...

How can I now be sure I haven't got any other viruses or trojans or spywares etc.... Avast finds nothing after doing a boot up scan and a regular scan. Malwarebytes is running now.

Gargamel360

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 05:33:26 PM »
You can start a thread in the "virus&worms" section, after following the guide at start of this thread>>
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
Then wait for Essexboy.

If you feel more pro-active and don't feel like waiting, there is a removal guide here>>
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-av-security-suite

I would chose option A, but its up to you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.

darth

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 08:00:55 PM »
The program "Winpatrol" should detect changes to your system.

ziucqea

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 12:55:28 PM »
To minimise the happening of such cases, you should have a HIPS software as well. If you're not so experienced and want it to be concise, try ThreatFire; or you can choose Comodo.

othoudt

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 09:08:40 PM »
Last night my computer was infected by 'AV Security Suite' but fortunately at the time I was on the phone with a friend who also got infected about two months ago with 'AV Security Suite'.  He was using AVG at the time and it slipped right through.  Anyway, my friend talked me through the recovery process as I was unable to access the Internet after getting the infection.  I was able to restart Windows in Safe Mode then I disabled the Proxy Server in my browser and then I ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software which removed the infection.

Offline Maxx_original

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 09:34:24 PM »
are we talking about avast v4 or v5?