Author Topic: Subscription expires for Windows 98SE user on Avast 4.8  (Read 3969 times)

lindamarcella

Subscription expires for Windows 98SE user on Avast 4.8
« on: July 12, 2010, 06:08:55 AM »
Hello,

Every day I get a red pop up message when I turn on my Windows 98SE computer saying that I need to click on the link to remedy an expiring subscription.  When I do, it downloads a "setupeng.exe" file, and then closes the window, but does not seem to have installed itself, because the expiration date is still the end of this month.

I submitted a support ticket a few days ago but so far have received no response.  Looking in the forum, I see that the new Avast version 5 will not support Windows 98.

Is there any way I can update my registration key (or whatever it needs) to continue using Avast 4.8?

This old computer has served me long and well, and I am really loathe to give it up.

Thank you,

Linda

ardvark

Re: Subscription expires for Windows 98SE user on Avast 4.8
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 06:54:39 AM »
Is there any way I can update my registration key (or whatever it needs) to continue using Avast 4.8?

Hi Linda...

Yes, you can. Please go to this page and fill in the required information. Avast should send you a new license key within 24 hours. :)

However, if I understand correctly, 4.8 won't be supported beyond the end of this year, so avast might "bug" you to update the program as it is doing now.

If you need help inserting the key, please see the tutorial here.

Hope this helps....

Regards...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 07:05:21 AM by ardvark »

silviucc

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 02:33:35 PM »
Offtopic: What are you using that PC for Linda ? I still have a PII system in a box but for the life of me I can't figure what to do with it, maybe donate it to some local school for teaching programming, I believe they still use Turbo Pascal/C/C++ and FoxPro

ardvark

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 09:11:54 PM »
Offtopic: What are you using that PC for Linda ? I still have a PII system in a box but for the life of me I can't figure what to do with it, maybe donate it to some local school for teaching programming, I believe they still use Turbo Pascal/C/C++ and FoxPro

Hi...

Unless a school in your area wants it, I would find an organization that recycles computers. :)

Regards...

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum